GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 3rd 2015, 05:13

Sounds fine Graham.. Yours is in the same position as mine if what we discussed has been followed through, ie bellhousing about 70 and 50mm up from VW position. The H6 is -.7" longer than a 4 so depending exactly where that length is (height wise) you could juggle how much the trans is moved to get it to fit easily enough. There's no way it will go in without cutting the torsion housing
Old October 3rd 2015, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Sounds fine Graham.. Yours is in the same position as mine if what we discussed has been followed through, ie bellhousing about 70 and 50mm up from VW position. The H6 is -.7" longer than a 4 so depending exactly where that length is (height wise) you could juggle how much the trans is moved to get it to fit easily enough. There's no way it will go in without cutting the torsion housing
Nice one Rich
Old October 16th 2015, 18:30

That gearbox is mohoooosive!!! Nice work though getting it in there. Your car is coming along well. Obviously I'm more partial to a Ty754 as its loads smaller then that G50 and probably cost half as much. Although I did spank a lot of money changing my 915 out. I'm much happier now with mine.

Keep up the good work and we need more pictures!!!
Old October 20th 2015, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai4130 View Post
That gearbox is mohoooosive!!! Nice work though getting it in there. Your car is coming along well. Obviously I'm more partial to a Ty754 as its loads smaller then that G50 and probably cost half as much. Although I did spank a lot of money changing my 915 out. I'm much happier now with mine.

Yeah Kai, the g50 is a bit of a beast but I was lucky enough pick it up with 70 k on it with a brand new Quaife diff for £2250 . The diff alone is around £1200. I know thats a lot of dosh but it's also a lot of kit. A built bus box from bears was coming out at £3000 but obviously the fitting for me has been pricey as I haven't done the work myself.Also there is the adapter plate etc to factor in. If I where to do it again I would of considered the reversed Suabru r/p.Having said that I am more than pleased with what I have chosen and It will easily handle any future power upgrades if I ever plan them.Also Judging buy other peoples experiences with the G50 I am confident that its going to be a great choice, I just can't wait to use it

Hows your Notchback Kai ???

more pics

[IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]
Old October 20th 2015, 17:59

The full conversion from 915 to Subaru gearbox cost me £3000. But that was to supply everything needed to swap them out plus all the Gucci frills such as the quaiffe diff, lightened flywheel, of course the new ring and pinion but also a starter motor and clutch slave. It cost me £550 for a supplied gearbox fitted with the subarugears kit. I had my 944 shafts shortens. Had them friction welded which was interesting to learn about. They're lasted a few burn outs and I'm confident they're strong enough for the time being. I'm aiming for 320bhp with the scooby as that's a sensible figure with a stock engine. Can't be bothered to build an engine as they cost loads of money. Used ones are £400. No brainier really haha.

Generally the notch has not done much this year. My front beam has way too much play in it for me to bother MOTing it. And type 3 beams, the parts are not as readily available as a type 1 beam. Also I lowered the front end which makes the car look awesome but it's been a pig to drive. Rear shocks are buggered also. I'm gonna inject some cash into it over winter and get it up and running for next season. I'm also having the usual wheel dilemma going on also lol. I want to get it to the stage I'm happy to drive it as my daily driver. I didn't touch it for 5 months, went at it with the key and it chugged into life instantly. Well Chuffed with my Subaru conversion.

The work your getting done it looking lovely. How do you estimate
Until It's back on the road?
Old October 20th 2015, 18:07

Graham, have you got an adaptor plate yet?
Old October 21st 2015, 07:50

Quote:

Hi, what it's a TY-75?
Old October 21st 2015, 08:15

It's a 1999> Subaru transaxle. The one they use for the Subaru gears conversions. I don't think it's so popular with this forum

Last edited by kai4130; October 21st 2015 at 08:23.
Old October 21st 2015, 21:28

Quote:
It's a 1999> Subaru transaxle. The one they use for the Subaru gears conversions. I don't think it's so popular with this forum
It makes sense size wise and it can be used with aircooled motors. I think it might catch on over time
Old October 22nd 2015, 03:07

Quote:
Graham, have you got an adaptor plate yet?
Not yet Kai but I have got my name on one from a mate but he seems a bit reluctant to let it go.Why do you ask ?
Old October 22nd 2015, 04:04

WELL! Assuming that a KEP 915 adaptor plate is compatible with a G50, then I'm your man. I so happen to have my adaptor kit left over from before I went with the Subaru box. If your interested By all means say so
Old October 22nd 2015, 04:06

Did I mention I now live in Surrey.
Old October 23rd 2015, 13:59

Ive sent you a pm kai
Old November 18th 2015, 16:30

Off to collect the car at the end of the week the Porsche G50 is finally in place
Old February 6th 2016, 05:39

Ok time for an update,

For those of you that know about the f___ing Idiot who previously installed the engine it will come as no surprise to you that nearly every part of there work needed ripping out and binning. Including the water pipes and fire wall. What more can I say, Professional W__ker....

THANKFULLY Darren Coleman over at http://www.dccustoms.co.uk now has the car now for the engine install and finishing.( Check out Darren's Facebook page to see what he is capable of )

Darren also gives a f__k and also knows what he is doing so heres a few pics of his work and the progress.[IMG]~original[/IMG]
[IMG]

[IMG]~original[/IMG]

Its getting there