GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 3rd 2012, 11:35

Porsche Fan Blown

Well after rebuilding my 2.1ltr type 1 motor I decided to have a little tinker with it. I started it up on my engine stand and let it warm up for 5 mins or so it was ticking over finewith good oil presure and temp was good .

I reved it up and it sounded very sweet and no oil leaks and it ticked over very nice
I then reved it a little more and this happened :cry: :cry: :cry:

To say I am gutted is an understatement ,but I am very lucky as I was standing behind the engine when the fan let go , unfortunately hitting my car and putting a couple of large dents in the quarter panel and a nice hole in the wing ,it also managed to damage the roof panel near window and take two of the lamps in the garage

Well looks like I am going to be busy again
Old March 3rd 2012, 14:34

Ouch...that hurts...
The good thing is that you didn't get hurt.
I haven't heard before of a fan letting go. How about your fan belt? tension? pulley alignment?cracks on the fan that you missed that caused the blades to detach?could any of these be a contributing factor?
The fan has the tendency to move towards the side that pulls the air ie towards the back of the car, that explains the broken alternator supports, but I expect more damage to the fan housing...fiberglass is always weaker that metal... maybe some corrosion on the alt support that weakened it?the two missing support beams suggest that the fan/alt assembly came out of balance big time, but considering the engine;s rotation I would expect the other two to be destroyed...
I strongly believe that the other guys using the Pcar fan setup can gain something/ give more insight on the matter. More pics of the broken off parts are more than welcome...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old March 4th 2012, 10:51
Administrator

That sucks. Glad you weren't hit by any of the bits.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 5th 2012, 15:32

thats absolutely gutting - sorry to hear that. just be thankful you werent in the way!!!
Old March 6th 2012, 18:37

old gh,

That's terrible. I'm sorry for the carnage but happy you survived unscathed.

I did something similar driving a T1 beetle once, missed a shift at about 7000rpm and the fan exploded in the housing. Luckily, the housing saved the shrapnel from getting to the body work, but the engine was toast. The cylinder fins and cylinder head fins broke, the tinwork was toast and the alternator stand cracked at the base. Unfortunately I don't have pictures (this was before the days of cell-phone cameras).

Glad you're well, that's all that really matters.

Cheers,
Lanner
Old March 7th 2012, 10:34

That really sucks! Looks like to me that the fan did not match the ring or the alternator shaft.There are differences between the model years and engine displacements.The 260mm fans for example are not all the same even if the ring,fan and alternator are the the same year they must be also from the same engine.So matching numbers are important.
Old March 7th 2012, 12:24

So that's a type 1 case with the oil cooler laying down with a 911 shroud ???? How did you get the oil cooler to lay down in the back of the 911 shroud on the type 1 set up???????
Old March 7th 2012, 16:23

Hi Kafur 1

Well spotted it is a type 1 with a standard type 1 oil cooler layed down. there is a guy very close to me who builds aero engines from vw type 1's and this is a mod that he uses he has designed it himself and also he has made a lot of other things for his engines including his own fuel injection system, oil system for inverted flight etc , he has now retired and only does it for a hobby , it seems to work well for me,, so far on the little use i have had of the engine when it was in the car.I am also running an external cooler.
Here is a pic of it :=

Old March 8th 2012, 21:26

Very interesting modification. Jeffrey's from Japan sells a similar set up.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jeffreys/vw/fr_top.html