GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 18th 2019, 21:42

Hi

As anybody knows who has added more contemporary parts to an old VW you know that you soon run out of places to fit things.

I'm running an in tank Walbro 460, I did suffer some fuel surge at the VW Nationals Supersprint so I'm now fitting a Taarks surge tank with another Walbro 460 inside, the Walbro pump in the fuel tank will now feed the Taarks surge tank.

One Walbro 460 is good for about 560 kW, if I need more fuel supply I can simply fit another pump inside the surge tank. Im aiming for 400 rwkW at the wheels so one 460 should be enough.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taarks.jpg (87.1 KB, 40 views)
Old October 19th 2019, 03:01

Nice surge tank!
I forgot: do you run E85 or gas?
400rwkW is something else!

Are you not worried with the current draw both these high power pumps consume? Any special measures for that neccesary
Old October 20th 2019, 03:24

Hi Wally

I'm on E85. My motor was built by Deschele Performance in Western Sydney to make 400 awdkW (ie Subaru awd). I made 305 rwkW on 29 PSI. I'm hoping that going from a .63 to a .82 and a better air intake will allow me make close to 400 rwkW, if not time for a new turbo.

The front pump will have little load and the pump in the surge tank has a 0 gauge battery cable going past it so I will run high power consumption relays on both pumps, I've moved my battery into the trunk/boot area. The surge tank is now in the stock battery location.

The motor is still out of the car, some of my sons drift friends build high end roll cage for all forms of motor sport and we are designing a cage for my car to comply with IHRA rules. Even though 1/4 mile racing is not my main focus they are the strictest rules of any motor sport that I wish to compete in.

I will be allowed to run down to 10.5 with a 1/2 cage with side intrusion bars, any quicker and I will need to go 6 point cage. The main issue is that the main hoop has to give me 6 inches of helmet clearance while still being perpendicular to the chassis, the base for the hoop leg is going to have to be a long way back in the car. I'e run a 12.1 with 220 rwkW. We are also tying the cage into the rear chassis area.

Steve
Old February 11th 2020, 03:56

Hi

Long time no post. Been playing with my new Jap car, a JZX110 while waiting get my bug back on the road.

My bug has been off the road for a while, first for a new clutch and then I decided to have a roll cage fitted.

Some of my sons friends have started a fabrication shop called Ministry of Fabrication, I had to wait a while for them to fit me into their schedule. Its a full cage, removable taxi bar, removable front legs and intrusion bars and being tied into the rear chassis forks. Its being done IHRA regulations, it will allow me to do down to a 8 second pass, I will be happy to get into the 10s but I thought I should all out just in case
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWRX cage.jpg (81.0 KB, 29 views)
Old February 11th 2020, 09:04

It's getting busy in there!
Old February 11th 2020, 21:37

sure is, I can hang the washing out in the car
Old February 28th 2020, 04:05

Hi

Getting the car back this weekend, then I have to put it back together. Really happy with the cage, getting it signed off by the IHRA tech guy soon. It will be certified to do a 8.00 pass, I will be happy to get into the tens.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWRX cage.11.jpg (86.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg VWRX cage.14.jpg (84.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Beetle Wizard.jpg (75.4 KB, 25 views)
Old March 1st 2020, 15:37

Looks strong indeed, good call to have this done!
Does it feel stiffer as well?
Old March 1st 2020, 23:16

Hi Wally

I haven't driven it yet, getting inspected tomorrow night by the IHRA tech guy then I can put it back together, motor is out of the car so that they could work around tying the chassis to rear of the car
Old March 3rd 2020, 21:17

Hi

Just had the car inspected by the IHRA guy, passed with flying colours, he was very impressed with how it was done, needs another inspection with the car ready to race with all safety gear etc then it is able to go down to a 8.00. pass. I will be happy to get into the 10s.

When I first thought about having a cage fitted I wanted to stiffen up the chassis. When built the car I had to make new top shock mounts so that I could lay the shocks over to clear the axles as the motor and trans are 100 mm forward. Ministry of Fabrication tied the cage into the extended shock mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWRX cage.19.1.jpg (86.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg pan.9.1.jpg (87.8 KB, 34 views)
Old March 3rd 2020, 21:36

I was running some Toyo R888R on the street, 225 40 x 18 & 245 40 x 18, great tyre but a little stiff. Iv'e now fitted these tyres to some hollow spoke twist wheels for track days.

So now I'm going to run some Nitto Invos in 225 40 x 18 and 265 35 x 18.

I also had the wheels repainted while they were off the car, same colour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWRX Invos.jpg (85.5 KB, 28 views)
Old March 9th 2020, 20:37

Steve,

What width wheels are you using for street, and track use?

Also, are you using this car as a track vehicle only? I ask because of the potential 'soft' skull - DOM steel tubing interactions may leave one...brain dead from what I'm told.
Old March 10th 2020, 02:49

Hi

The wheels I used to run on both track and street are in my post with Invos fitted. They are 18x8 and 18x10 from a Boxster. I've fitted my front 225x18 R888R to genuine 18x7.5 hollow spoke twists and I went down to a 235x18 Toyo R888R fitted to genuine 18x8 hollow spoke twists for track work.

I've fitted the 245x18 R888R that I used to run on the rear to some crappy Porsche wheels that I have , the plan is to use these at roll racing or the drags. I also have a pair of 18x245 ET streets that are also on some crappy wheels that I can use for roll racing or drags.

I'm a bit of a wheel collector, I also have a set of Simmons OM in 18x8 and 18x9.

And if I feel I need more acceleration I also have a set of 15x6 Cookie cutters with front street tyres and 205 ET streets.

The cage with be padded with FIA approved padding soon
Old March 16th 2020, 15:25

Cool pics Steve, thanks!
I still like your mod to move the whole engine & trans combo 100mm forward. Huge undertaking, but it all makes a difference I'am sure.
Old March 17th 2020, 02:32

Thanks Wally, lots of welding and cutting.

Looks like I have to use a 1/4 inch steel flywheel scatter shield. I tried searching and of course your build thread came up. I started looking through the 104 pages on your build and gave up.

Do you have any information and photos about your flywheel scatter shield?