GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 3rd 2006, 14:50

5 Wide

Does anybody know if the bolt pattern on the Wide-5 racing rims for a dirt latemodel are the same as a VW wide 5? If not how could make them work?

Last edited by Bebobug; February 6th 2006 at 14:49.
Old February 5th 2006, 02:41

Well, if no body knows then do you know where I should ask this question?
Old February 5th 2006, 02:46

You do know that the wide5 racing rims come in 17" about as narrow or wide as you want to go for about 1/4-1/2 the price of Porsche rims.
Old February 5th 2006, 06:56

I think youre confusing semantics here. The "wide 5" is just a name cause its a huge pattern. You may as well ask if ford blue is the same as nissan blue since theyre both blue. You really need to know the actual dimensions of the pattern on the rims you want to use. Once you know that, either find premade adaptors or have some billet ones fabricated
Old February 5th 2006, 22:59

That was the problem I was running into. I e-mailed Wilwood but, they never responded. I was wondering if they were close enough to use adapters because, they are both so huge and if somebody knew what size the racing ones were.
Old March 31st 2006, 09:58

Hey Bebobug,

Try this link, it will answer your question about the Starlite "55" hub by Wilwood.
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/004-...-S55/index.asp

Page down to the "View Technical Drawing, click here." and it will show you what you do or don't want to see and know, 260mm is the bolt center pattern for this hub, VW is 205.
Old April 4th 2006, 13:22

Thanks. You understood what I was looking for.
Old April 5th 2006, 09:47

Hey Bebobug,
I've come to the conclusion that the reason that technical questions often scare people here on the net is because they have a fear of sticking their foot in their mouth and discovering what it taste like..., IN FRONT OF THE WORLD.

David
Old April 10th 2006, 15:54

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. I was just wondering are the different hubs for VW interchangeable w/ little or no fabrication? Such as late hubs on an early vehicle or visa versa.
Old April 11th 2006, 09:35

YES, is the answer. with that said, here's some food for thought on the various VW beetle brake drums:

The axle spline dia. and count are the same from the early 50's to the onset of IRS, what change though was the axle spline length between 67-68 and of course the obvious wheel bolt pattern of 5x205 to 4x103. This doesn't take into account the THING drums w/5x205 that well fit 68 and newer as a bolt on, or the 63+/- van that has same axle dia. as a beetle that will fit a 68 and newer with a little machining.

I'm afraid your asking to opened ended of a question. What's the Year and Make..., Let me try that again. With as much modification that goes on in back of yards of VW owners..., what is the axle output, IE... IRS, swing pre 67, Thing or Porsche. I've been assuming this is a back axle you've got questions about, so correct me if I'm wrong.

If your referring to what's being sold in magazines, advertising a brake drum that has a bolt patter of X Y Z, and you want to know what will bolt on to your rig to look really kool. - MORE input, Please.

Last: It would be better to state your goal, and then work to that point or backward..., however you see it. Again, I need more input.
Old April 11th 2006, 14:07

I will be working with IRS. I want decent braking but, nothing crazy like big Porsche brakes. It will have to fit 15" rims. The front suspension is BJ torsen setup.
Old April 11th 2006, 15:02

Drum Brakes are notoriously mushy..., this is not a bad thing. You just have to make it work for you. For street use, stock front and rear drum brakes work quite well 95% of the time. This will also be the cheapist route to take.

Disc Brakes are far better in that very little, if no brake fade accurs in street use.

If it were me, I'd go the semi cheap way and just upgrade the fronts to disc, and install a newer master cyclinder to handle the disc / drum and call it done..., then again I don't know your situation.