GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 21st 2007, 07:09

Chargecooling

Ok, so I dont know if this has been asked before, and not sure if it is usefull... But all the guys that are doing conversions with turbos, (most) are using chargecoolers for the intake.... How suitable would it be to install a chargecooler on a normal/stock VWAC motor? Can/will it bring down running temps? Obviously it would take some skillful modding work, but that is not realy the question here.... Any takers care to give opinions?
Old July 21st 2007, 10:12

two air scoops to the side of the car would be more effective,the air in the inlet tract of the turbo, has to pass through the turbo first so can be upwards of 70-80-deg c .Charge coolers at best could only cool to ambient unless but this is unlikley unless you used ice etc because of the speed it goes through the cooler, the best solution for a n/a car would be to ensure the carbs recieve air away from the heat of the engine compartment ensuring the lowest ambient temp possible , possibly two naca ducts to a pressure box arrangement
cheers jon
zx7rr
Old July 21st 2007, 16:04

Thanks Jon,

Well, there you have it ladies and gentleman... A straight forward answer, that even I can understand Makes perfect sense to me :agree:
Old September 25th 2007, 23:19

There's always w/i. A local tuner started a methanol craze here when he took a stock Evo & made almost 400hp at the wheels with just w/i & more boost (well, he also reflashed his PCM). It requires another fuel cell & is short lived but, with a decent failsafe it works great for street/strip & might even last long enough for auto-x.