GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 27th 2011, 03:09
Administrator

Dry Sump Help

So I've started to look into Dry Sump systems for my next project. I read every thread in the engine forum that discuss dry sumps, and now have my list of questions that I couldn't find...

For starters, I've got a Type-1 1776 which is fully balanced and blueprinted, with a 1.5qt deep sump. Nothing extreme. My current wet-sump oiling system uses a 26mm Shradek pump, goes through a full-flow oil filter and then into the case. I'm using stock oil pressure springs, and a stock oil cooler. My only change is to have an Accusump plumbed into the return line from the Oil Filter. I have run the engine for about 15,000miles with no oiling issues or problems. My new project, however, needs to eliminate the 1.5qt sump off the bottom of the engine.

The most obvious answer is to eliminate the sump and trust the Accusump...but there are documented accounts on here of issues with just an Accusump, and I lost my original 1776 even though I had an Accusump installed. In my case, I can't blame the sump due since it was a crank oil-galley issue, but all the same I just get "that feeling"...

So, onto Dry Sump systems...

CB pump okay?I'm specifically looking at the CB Performance 2-stage Pump. From the sounds of it, the issues other GL users have had with this pump has been on Turbo or high-powered race cars. The sentiment seems to be that it would be fine for a street application...but I don't drive like a particular street user. In the past three months my car has been sideways on pavement, gravel and snow...all in racing conditions. I realize "you get what you pay for". But I've got maybe $2500-3500 into my engine, unlike some of the high-dollar builds here. Is a 3% investment on pump enough?

Line Sizing
The CB site suggests both the scavenge and feed should use -8AN lines (which I currently have). How carefully do I need to consider the tank-to-pump (suction) line sizing?

Will it fit? Anyone have photos of one of these pumps installed? What do you do about the tin, and about the pulley? I'm also not entirely sure, since I don't have one in my hand, how you deal with the full-flow oiling. The pump only has an outlet to the tank, and an inlet from the tank. So I *think* I need to use a Full-Flow style oil-pump cover and block the OE pump outlet like I've done my shadek (increasing my interference even more). Can anyone confirm/explain?

Oil Temperature Control Anyone have a solution for heating the oil quicker then just running the engine? My application will need quick warm up times.

I know some of these are basic questions...but the dry-sump system is just one area I need to map out in my head before embarking on the new project. I'm already shopping for the new bug!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap