GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 8th 2006, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by libila
Your project looks wonderful! It's definantly now an inspiration.
Thank you this makes it all worth the effort. Brent.
Old January 15th 2006, 16:33

Stunning car...period!!

Where did you get those trailing arms though??
Kev :agree:
Old January 16th 2006, 00:01

Hi Brent,

Looks like the rear hubs worked;-)

Great car
Old January 16th 2006, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDEE
Stunning car...period!!

Where did you get those trailing arms though??
Hi, well I asume you mean the rear irs arms? They are factory arms and I swapped sides, removed the old shock mount and fabricated a new one to take QA1 alloy shocks and Eibach springs. Was alot of work actualy, but seems to be working well. I drove yes [ Monday] at a track and is good but still alot of sorting to get handling perfect. Will try post more pictures of car on track and maybe some video soon...Brent.
Old January 16th 2006, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ Vier
Hi Brent,

Looks like the rear hubs worked;-)

Great car
Yep pretty happy, just need more milage and fine tuning to get right, but considering mods, cant complain. Thanks Brent.
Old January 17th 2006, 14:27

My mistake..what I meant were the trailing arms that were in place of the standard spring plates.
Thanks,
Old January 17th 2006, 17:08

Quote:
My mistake..what I meant were the trailing arms that were in place of the standard spring plates.
Thanks,
O yes, the uniball set up. Yea this certainly removes all the play in this area and makes toe settings simple. I was planning on making a compression strut up the front too and running the sway bar independantly but where does it stop? Anyway, i have located the point for this so maybe one day I will tackle this bit. Thanks Brent.
Old January 17th 2006, 19:42

Amazing car..... I was wondering what size heim joints you are using on the steering rack. Is that setup stock bolt in? or is the rack reworked or non-stock?

ted
Old January 18th 2006, 13:53

Who does those uniball arms?? :agree:
Old January 18th 2006, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedzbug
Amazing car..... I was wondering what size heim joints you are using on the steering rack. Is that setup stock bolt in? or is the rack reworked or non-stock?

ted
Hi there, the rod ends are crome molly 1/2" and ive made the steering arms out of molly too. The rack is a v-early Mk 1 passat to which i had to have the spline rewoked. I also had to make the rack mounts. The steering shaft has been modified also. To locate the rack properly, i had cut the inner guard away a little and insered weld nuts so all looks factory and was very secure. The other two areas which needed attn is where the steering universal runs under the tank. I had to cut and fabricate a pannel here to clear the shaft. The second area is the pan... the top of the pad head needed cutting away to clear the rack. You can see on the 75 model the differance here. once again was carried out as factory. I have drilled out the steering arms on the stub axles to run a 1/2 " cap screw, also you can see i have run the rod end under the arm with a molly spacer to get the bump steer right. The inner rod ends on the rack are also 1/2" and made special molly spacers here to. To tell you the truth it was alot of work but i do think it's worth it in the end, especialy on a race car. Brent.
Old January 18th 2006, 23:48

Quote:
Who does those uniball arms?? :agree:
MBT ENGINEERING...they are a German co which also sells the rear coil overs too. Plus all the big brakes and calipers. I looked at making myself but hey everything just costs and takes time. Brent.
Old February 5th 2006, 06:00

NOS Kamei front spoiler/air damp for sale

Hi Brent,

Here is a NOS Kamei front spoiler/air damp for sale on trademe. You may interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=46874865
Old February 5th 2006, 07:27

I can't believe how good Your car is. Especially when when I look at suspension and brakes. AND attention for detail which is FIRST CLASS!

Well, You're on the top of mine inspiration list. And thank's for that! :righton:
Old February 5th 2006, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1303L
Hi Brent,

Here is a NOS Kamei front spoiler/air damp for sale on trademe. You may interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=46874865
Hi, it's all about timing eh, I have recently purchased a full racing front glass one from Australia, saw it in a mag on a race car and they made two 1 for me and my mate.. I will keep an eye on it though so thanks very much for spotting it. Regards Brent.
Old February 5th 2006, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX67
I can't believe how good Your car is. Especially when when I look at suspension and brakes. AND attention for detail which is FIRST CLASS!

Well, You're on the top of mine inspiration list. And thank's for that! :righton:
Thank you for your kind coments, im sure your car has a little kick *** too.
It's quite amasing how subtle differances can make your car unique. Yes suspension was expensive and a hell of a lot of work. I have the intentions one day to purchase some 17-18" wheels too which would give the car another completely different look. Brent.