GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Vendor announcements > Vdub Engineering

Old August 11th 2006, 12:09

Question for you Lanner

Hopefully this is an o.k. method for contacting you with questions.

I've got a 1970 Ghia and would like to install the later 944 aluminum front hubs, the 968/944T calipers in front and the appropriate rotors (which I need to know which to order by the way). What do I need to send you and is the price the kit price for the mods/components?

I've also got the early aluminum arms and the 968/944T rear calipers. Which rotor do I use?

I would like to get your address so I can send my parts to you...or drive up on one of my long weekend get-aways.(I'm in Michigan)

Thanks.

Kevin.
Old August 11th 2006, 12:50

Kevin,

No worries, this forum is fine for questions. I'm not sure what 968 calipers look like, maybe a picture will help.

For the rear, if you have the 86 alum arms (with bumpstops), then use the 86T rear rotors and any year 944T rear caliper. If the arms do not have the bumpstop and are aluminum, then they are 87+ arms. In that case use the 87-89 rear rotor (T) and any year rear T caliper.

In the front, I'd have to machine the 87+ front hubs for beetle bearings. Then I can mount it to either stock height drum spindle ($C289), or to CB disk spindle ($C309). The prices are for labour only (and fabricate/install caliper brackets), you'd have to supply spindles and hubs for machining. (I can supply these parts aswell, $C50pr for drum spindles, or $C220pr for the dropped spindles).

Email me for the shipping address. Take a look at the shipping suggestions on the price list page of my site. Where about are you in MI?

Lanner
Old August 11th 2006, 13:10

Southfield, Michigan, right across the river from Windsor.

My arms are the kind that have the bumpstops on them.

The calipers look like most of the calipers that have the mounting holes that would mount the caliper perpendicular to the rotor face, not in a tangent (I believe that description is correct)

The rear calipers will bolt right up to the 944 arms with no problem and the front look like the rear...just larger pistons in them.

What is the turn-around time for the mods Lanner? And do you need the spindles to spot face them or is that not necessary?

Are the 'swan's in stock for the parking brake cables?

Thanks

Kevin.
Old August 11th 2006, 14:22

Kevin,

Windsor area... too bad,I was down there a couple weeks back for the Milan show.

Don't quote me, but I think the 993, 944T and 968 calipers are basically the same, with a few cosmetic changes.

I do need the spindles for machine work. Turnaround is 5-10 working days and the swans are always in stock.

Easy,
Lanner
Old August 11th 2006, 15:59

You've got PM
Old August 14th 2006, 06:52

Lanner,

Have you ever modified/redrilled the Porsche hubs to accept 5/112 or 5/100 bolt patterns to allow the use of 'conventional' wheels?

I am going to send you my hubs/spindles to you for modding them to fit my Ghia, but I would like to use some of the widely available Subaru wheels (5x100 with 52mm offset and 73mm bore (versus 71 on my hubs :agree: )

Thanks.

Kevin
Old August 14th 2006, 09:08

The material in the Porsche hub (front)will not allow it. I can do it, but I'd have to make the billet hubs, and the rotor would have to be adjusted accordingly.

I've modified rear 944 hubs for different bolt patterns. As long as it's 5 bolt, it's not a problem.

Easy,
Lanner
Old August 14th 2006, 10:48

What about machining off the edge of a re-drilled front Ghia rotor as the basis for the new hub?

I just need to press out the rear hubs and send them to you correct?
Old August 14th 2006, 12:28

Yeah, that's possible. The hubcentric center for the wheel will have to be dealt with (ie make spacer ring).

For the rear, I'd just need the hubs to machine. When you get them back, you can use the hub as a template to drill the rotor for the clearance holes for studs.

Lanner