GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 27th 2005, 02:04

kerscher ball joint alternative?

could the ball joint hole in the 944 spindle be welded up and redrilled for the smaller 1303 ball joint? this is just a guess as i have never seen a 1303 ball joint up close to see how it fits to the spindle. My uncle is a very good machinest so he would be doing the work for me. it seems if this is possable it would make 944 swaps easier because stock balljoints could be used which are easier to come by than ordering from overseas.
Old February 27th 2005, 09:07

Arrow

If he does it well, possibly it will work . Anyway, the kerscher joints are not expensive ...
Old February 28th 2005, 13:43

i contacted kerscher through e-mail and they said the ball joints would be 79 euros for a pair and 24 euros shipping. 103 euros equals about 141.82 U.S. dollars from the exchange rate calculator i used. Does this seem to high for them? what has others paid for them? i would like to use them for simplicity of installation but am weiry about future availabilty for when they need replaced not to mention cost in the future. is there any safe way to use the beetle balljoint? maybe the way i have asked above. how would a spacer be unsafe if it is made of good material and matches the taper of the balljoint and spindle?
Old February 28th 2005, 16:32

There is a cheap way, but like most cheap methods, others could say it was unsafe and they'd probably be right.
Look at a 1303 ball joint and the Mc Pherson strut underside yourself very closely and you will figure it out yourself I am sure. That way, you didn't get it from me
Old March 1st 2005, 13:23

Sounds like one way to do it but you would need to weld up the main hole and the lock bolt hole and redrill that aswell... not easy but possible.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old March 1st 2005, 16:21

If you'd like to stick with stock (OEM) replacement parts I would have thought you'd be better off using the 944 ball joint and fitting the suitable mount for it onto the end of the 1303 control arm.

I agree that the Kerscher ball joints may seem expensive, but really they're not.

Add up the time (= dollars) involved with mucking around sorting out another way of doing it and you probably spend less just ordering a set. I wouldn't think you'll go through too many ball joints in the life of your car.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old March 1st 2005, 22:29

If you want to stay with the stock Super Beetle ball joint then look at the Porsche based brake kits at http://www.vdubcustoms.com. They will take the Porsche 944 hub and machine it to fit the Super Beetle spindle. They will also machine the Super Beetle spindle to accept a braket to mount the 944 caliper. This will also solve the problem of positive camber that the 944 spindle will give you. It is fairly expensive but it solves two problems at once.

Randy
Old March 2nd 2005, 03:29

If your checking out vdubcustoms I would seriously consider their other kits (they do a Golf variation?) as the early 944 callipers are really heavy!

That is unless you already have the 944 set up.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old March 3rd 2005, 00:43

thanks for all the help and advice but after comparing prices and parts i think i will just get toplines front kit drilled to my 5x100 pattern. $399.95 and everything is new and included and ready to bolt on, sounds like the best way to go and i think 4 wheel ghia disc will give me plenty of stopping power with my 1641cc and probally be enough for a type 4 swap in the future. just going to sell the 944 stuff.
Old March 4th 2005, 00:41
Superman

The 4 wheel VW disc kit (Ghia front/914 rear) is more than enough to stop the Bug. The 944 stuff is nice but is really over kill.
Old March 4th 2005, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
The 4 wheel VW disc kit (Ghia front/914 rear) is more than enough to stop the Bug. The 944 stuff is nice but is really over kill.
For the front, yes, but if you want discs at the rear (and already have Ghia front discs), it is usually a lot cheaper if you are willing to do some mods yourself and you have instant 5x130 porsche wheel pattern, that is if you want P-wheels of course