GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 17th 2003, 20:52

Question coilovers

I talked to my machine shop today about getting some pipe machine threaded and some bottom spring perches made. My idea is to get the pipe threaded and then weld it to the bottom of the 944 strut housing. This way I will have more camber ajustment and have fully ajustable suspension. When I mounted the 944 spindles it gave me way to much positive camber. I was also looking at the sway away website and I think I will buy 150pd/inch springs. Has anyone tried to build coilovers before and is this a good idea? Does anyone know the spring rate for and early n/a 944 ?
Old February 18th 2003, 00:22
Superman

You can use a eccentric camber bolt from a VW Rabbit (Golf I).
Old February 18th 2003, 00:30
Superman

Re: coilovers

Quote:
Originally posted by vw1303
Has anyone tried to build coilovers before and is this a good idea?
Me and H2OSB made these which ultimately resulted in the Topline MaXX strut.
Old February 18th 2003, 01:19

Yes, I remember seeing these on your old web site. The thing about the topline struts is that they are not fully ajustable and only in increments. Plus I think it is less expensive if I build them myself. Superman, where did you source your springs from? The swayaway springs go for $50 US each which I think is a good price. And how much did your pay for the threaded shaft and nut? Does your bottom perch hold like a clamp, I think I will use two nuts for the bottom perch as I have seen on most coilovers.
Old February 18th 2003, 01:55
Superman

The springs were Eibach and the whole kit was about $250 but the adjustable part isn't like you desire. These have a roller ball, that is pressured by a spring, into a groove that stops the side to side movement; then the up and down movement is kept in place merely by the pressure of the coil spring. It's a little low tech compared to what you want (like the Kerschers pictured below). In fact, the Kerschers are about $570 and would be the best because when building your own (after parts, welding, and powder coating) it would cost almost the same.

Old February 18th 2003, 06:09

I am currently fabricating my own pair of coil-overs using Golf II strut inserts. I have found out that this is a common modification in rallysprint Beetles here in Finland. They are shorter than the stock ones, so lowering goes fine with them.
You will have to use the bottom part of the original strut welded into a length of tube. The threads can be machined onto the tube or you can buy threaded tubes and weld them on the tube. The springplates can be bought separately or machined for your requirements. You can also use axial nuts for this.
This isnt an everyday conversion if you arent skilled enough, but the more you can do by yourself, the cheaper it will be in the end.

Justin

"Don`t spend your money on something you can make yourself."

Last edited by juse; February 18th 2003 at 08:00.
Old February 18th 2003, 06:57
Superman

I agree with that to a certain level; however, I'd rather not depend on some home made cut up welded pieces in the suspension at high speeds. Especially since old aircooleds don't have the modern safety devices of the cars today. You might save a few hundred bucks making things yourself but is that worth the risk of crashing your car and/or your body.
Old February 18th 2003, 08:07

Are the Golf I or II struts directly bolt-on to late 1303 with 944 front spindles? SPAX www.spax.co.uk offers coilover kits (called RSX) for Golf. Do you think I can use this setup on the 1303? This is because I can find a Spax dealer locally so that I don't need to add on the expensive freight costs for the Kerscher struts.

Thanks
Tim
Old February 18th 2003, 08:13

Who was talking about any "homemade welding"? All these tasks need turning- and milling machines.
I am a professional mechanic; welding and machining are common jobs for me.
And all those shiny bits you can buy from the store, are also made by humans, even those stock items.
Of course you look after safetyfactors and which materials you use, but when you modify something with a common sense, you make it at least equally strong as the original.
Justin
"Don`t spend your money on something you can make by yourself."
Old February 18th 2003, 08:27
Superman

Justin, I didn't mean to insult you or belittle your abilities; I was just stating my opinion, good luck with your project.

Tim, yes the 1303, 944NA, and Golf all have the same bolt pattern for the spindle to strut flange. Yes the Spax will work but only if they offer a 75 to 80 lbs/ft spring and if the 1303 upper strut bearing can be fitted. The Golf springs are around 250 to 400 lbs/ft.