GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old July 20th 2021, 12:19

And the exhaust under the new 2056cc Type4 is a CSP Python for type4 in a beetle.

Link

"Python Exhaust System Type-4 :: Custom & Speed Parts (CSP)" https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-sh...che=1626797627
Old July 20th 2021, 14:08

Am I crazy or what. Removing a perfectly good running engine after just 700Km.

Just because I want to know how the 2056cc performs NOW, I can not wait as long as it takes to finish the black super to hear and feel this engine.

I will install the 2056cc. on thursday and hopefuly have it running in the red super at the end of the day.
Old July 22nd 2021, 16:44

This photo was taken at 12.20

Ready for the start, and,.....GO.

Liftoff at 12.35

And ready to start the engine at 17.58

MSD coil mounted on 1" spacers to clear hoses and the throttle linkage.

It runs perfect at Idle up to 2500 rpm but I have to adjust the acceleration pumps and put the right size jets in the carburetors.
I drove 1/2 a mile for the first time at 18.00

That was the goal for today and I am very happy it finaly runs and drives.

Next thing to do is tune the carburators and put some miles on the thing with a big smile on my face
Old July 31st 2021, 17:30

Small update on why I did'nt already post something about driving with the new 2056cc. motor. To work on the carburator jetting the motor has to be warm, and that is a problem at the moment.

It has oil pressure problems when the oil gets warmer / thinner. The oil pressure is good when the engine is cold, 2 bar at Idle and 4,5 bar when revving the engine.
I suspect the problem is in the loose fitment of the oil pump in the crankcase and / or the O-ring that seals the oil pickup tube in the crankcase.

I tested this with a warm engine and the front of the car high up in the air on jack stands. The rear of the engine now has a high oil level with both the O-ring and the oil pump submerged in oil. The oil pressure does not drop during this test.

I live in the netherlands which is very flat, so constantly driving uphill to keep oil pressure is not an option for me.

I used a new O-ring from the victor reinz gasket set on a like-new oil pickuptube without any extra sealant.
On the Bug Me DVD Jake Raby uses Permatex aviation form-a-gasket on the O-ring. When I watched this I thought it was overkill. Well probably not as it turned out in my (crank)case.

To try and fix the problem I now used 3 different oil pumps, 2 original Type-4 pumps with new O-ring and a modified Type-1 26mm pump. All 3 have a loose fitment in the crankcase. The Type-1 pump even slides in with the crankcase nuts surrounding the pump torqued at 20Nm.
And the pressure keeps dropping when hot. It still has oil pressure but only 1 bar. The short term plan is to see if the problem can be fixed with an O-ringed oil pump.
If the oil pressure keeps dropping when the oil is getting up to temperature, I have to spit the case to see if the 80 cent O-ring around the oil pickup tube is the problem.

Not looking forward to that.

Everything else on the engine performs perfectly and it has done 100 kilometers over short trips. Trips short enough to not have the oil pressure problem.

Last edited by Blizzard; August 1st 2021 at 03:35.
Old July 31st 2021, 17:41

CAD (Cardboard And Duct tape) design number two. It is now a 2-piece design to have the sheet metal also seal behind the Crankshaft Pulley.
This is a temporary version out of thin alu. sheet. Final version will be out of thicker aluminium or steel.

Old July 31st 2021, 19:01

Very awesome!
Old December 21st 2023, 14:37

I did not post anything for a wile. But just like owdlvr I also would like to keep this forum alive. I have not posted any updates about my super beetles because I was distracted with a (new to me) old VW.
Last April I bought my first bus. So first a few pics and updates on the "new" '73 deluxe 7 seater bus and than I will show some updates on my supers, the red and the black one.

This is what the bus looked like when I bought it. Stock hight, wheels, ugly amateur interior panels.

This is Germanlook.net so I will post some related updates on the bus.
First update, was for better road handeling.

lowered spindles and new Koni shocks in the front.

Thicker torsionbars, and also new Koni shocks for the rear.

Other wheel options are a set of Cup2's and a set of original Fuchs.

It has a 1800cc Type-4 that needed some new parts.
Vintage speed exhaust and stainless heatexchanger replacement tubes.

Before

After

New interior to replace amateur ugly old pannels.
Before

After

cleaned up the towbar / bumperbracket and fitted a new rear bumper.
Before

After

Thats all for now on the bus.

Last edited by Blizzard; December 21st 2023 at 15:52.
Old December 21st 2023, 14:47

The chassis of the black 1303 is as new. It got new floorpanels and napoleonhat. After the welding was done it was sandblasted and got a good rustprotection treastment. Epoxy primer, black paint and I did the stone chip protection myself.

Last edited by Blizzard; December 21st 2023 at 15:49.
Old December 21st 2023, 15:19

I like to do everything myself, thats the hobby for me to learn new skills.
Uptill now I spraypainted everything outside or in the dusty garage.
For a more profesiional result I bought some electric fans, led light bars and filter material to build a paint booth.
First I made a small one as a proof of concept to see if the airflow setup and filter were doing their job. So I started with the fenders and a few small parts.

End result is almost perfect, a little orangepeel and one little fly landed on the wet paint. All easy to buff out. But no dust craters, runs or dry spots.

New glassfiber fenders are ready to paint without much extra work.
The body of the car needed more work. New undersides of the heaterchanels,
and some small easy patch panels.

The biggest and most difficult rust repair problem I faced was on the roof, next to the sliding roof opening. It rusted from the inside out.

I am glad that job is done. Now I am waiting for warmer weather so I can continue to paint the rest of the car and put everything back together and drive a superbeetle again. The bus is nice, but it's a slow big heavy brick compaired to the beetles.

Last edited by Blizzard; December 21st 2023 at 18:33.