GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 14th 2005, 11:19

cookie cutters

Got my eye on a set of 7 inch cookie cutter wheels. They have 205 60 R15 tyres on and I think came from an early eighties 944.

What mods would i have to make to get these under the arches of a 72 beetel with a swing axle rear.

I really dont want to have the hubs/discs drilled but spacers put another inch on the width so If they fit at all i think they will have to be drilled, or maybe flared arches????

Cheers Karl
Old January 15th 2005, 18:28

You want late 944 ofsset wheels with the 52.3mm offset. the early 23mm will be way wide.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 16th 2005, 16:31

Thanks adrian, If I were to find some later ones will they fit with the spacers.
Cheers karl
Old February 2nd 2005, 20:42

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are later cookie cutters. The phone dial rims came in both early and late offsets, though.
Old February 3rd 2005, 06:35

I have 7" cookie cutters with 195/50 tires on my late swing axle bug. It just tight fits on the rear but the front tires are scratching the arches when hard braking and cornering. I use Porsche stud pattern discs/drums.
Old February 20th 2005, 23:15

Ah, there are 15 X 6" cookie cutters, though...
Old February 24th 2005, 07:52

I took some measurements from my short axle swing axle bug at the wkend and I think (if going to long axles adds 25mm to the track each side) that you could get 7J cookie cutters with 205s on teh back but they would be flush with teh outer edge of teh arch, the 6J rims would fit much better as they have a 36mm offset as opposed to the 23mm offset of the 7J rims. At the front I would suggest running the 6J rims with possibly a 175 tyre to make sure there is no rubbing on teh arch as my 6J fuchs (same offset) with 195s rub on my arches (without a load in the car the tyres are 20mm+ below the arch).

Anyone know the weight of a 15x6J cookie cutter rim?

Vennard, if you want more room under your arches look at getting some Day Mouldings fibreglass wings. My mate has some on the rear of his bug and the lip that comes in is very small compared to stock or pattern wings (really good quality and cheap as well, also can get em in gel coats for popular colours).

Last edited by mrsmythe; February 24th 2005 at 07:56.
Old February 28th 2005, 02:12

I really wish I would have know this stuff BEFORE I put down that bid. I have some 15X7 23ET cookie cutters. They look awesome (powder coated, with polished lip) but with stock fenders, it looks like they just arnt going to fit. I'm running 195/50 Kumhos front & rear. I would love to find some 15X6s. Maybe I can take these to Pomona and get back what I paid, then save up for what I REALLY want. :agree: Live and Learn.