GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 26th 2005, 16:04

dazed and confused

ok guys i am new to the german look and want to fit big wheels on my car with stock fenders i have to admit all this talk about offset is confusing is there a website that clarifies how to measure offset and if there is can someone direct me there i am not sure when it comes to wheels but i want to run 17x7 on my car with stock fenders and want to know what offset i will need to make them work
Old February 26th 2005, 16:34

Need to know what kind of car you're setting up as well as the type of wheel that you'll be using. You can have after-market wheels made with just about any offset and bolt pattern that you can think of. If you want to use OEM Porsche wheels then the offsets are somewhat limited and may require spacers and narrowing of the beam on a standard or a different strut set-up on a super. Provide some specifics on the car you have and the wheels you intend to use. There are plenty of guys here that can help.
Old February 27th 2005, 00:48

sorry thought i put that info in there anyway it is a 1970 standard beetle and the rims i want to put on it are 17 inch volk racing wheels here is a pic of the wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (10.1 KB, 40 views)
Old February 27th 2005, 10:57

you will first have to decide how you are going to convert to the new bolt pattern. are you just having the drums redrilled or are you converting to disc brakes on the front and/or rear (strongly recommended) which may alter your track width and therefore change the optimal offset needed on the rims. you can assume you want somewhere in the +50 offset range (+-5mm), but that will really depend on what you do with brakes.

will you be sticking with a stock beam or going shortened?

there is a ton of info on here explaining offset, backspacing, etc. just do some searches and you will find much of it. happy to help more in this thread though specific to your car. just need more info.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old February 27th 2005, 23:32

ok guys i think i got it nailed down now i am going to be running cb disc brakes front and rear i am also going to purchase a cb narrowed front beeam i thinking two inches or should i go more i really want those wheels to fit they just complete the look i have going in my head and way it is a standard 1970 i am going to run cb disc front and rear and have the beam narrowed two inches thanks for any info you guys can or will supply