GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 24th 2006, 10:46

amplifier placement in a 1302

Phase Three for my 1971 Super Beetle was going to be engine and transmission with Phase Four being Part Two of the interior (gauges and stereo). Phase Two of the house renovation has taken precedence so rather than do nothing with the car, I have decided to go ahead with the stereo install since I pretty much know what I want.

I have decided to go with an Alpine head unit that is new for this year. I like its interface with an iPod (which I also need to get) as a solution over CD changers and magazines. (I will do the same with my '02 Cabrio thereby simplifying my life and joining the 21st Century at the same time.)

I will use Alpine 6x9 speakers in the rear speaker shelf that matches the Scat interior I already have. I will use 5¼-inch Alpine speakers in the front fiberglass kick panels from JBugs.

I have never been one for elaborate stereo systems at home or in the car as I am often at a loss to hear the difference between a $2,000 system I think is awfully good and a $5,000 system that makes others drool. Nevertheless, I have been talked into getting an amp for my modest little system mentioned above.

It seems obvious to me the amp must go in the front trunk area ... but where? ... and how?

I want it to be in the least intrusive area and be protected when cargo is tossed in. After the engine is done, moving the battery to the front is going to be part of the gauge install.

Any suggestions? Any pics?