GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 8th 2003, 12:11

Next summer's engine: 2,366cc

I want to build a 2,366cc engine. Not just for bragging rights, or for show. But just because it runs well, and the size and crank combo seem to be within reason. I will also use a Sharpbuilt 911 Shroud and 911 fan(still deciding on wether to run 5 blade, 11 or even 12)

Here's what I have so far:

71mm C/W crank (balanced and .10/std)

2litter rods (new bushings, balanced and all std)

2 litter Type 2 Case(checked all saddles std. cleaned, tapped for metric plugs, etc...)

2 Litter VW heads(need to figure out what valves to run)

T4 flywheel(210mm) and clutch

Web 86a Cam( Looking for no more than a 6,500 redline also have a .425" lift cam with 298* duration -need lifters for)

Unilite Dizzy(no vaccum)

Tall T4 manifolds.

Sharpbuilt 911 shroud with integrated cooler( Still considering using in combination with a 48 plate remote cooler and thermoswitch)

My questions are these:

Should I use the stock length T4 2 litter rods with the 103 pistons or should l look for a different rod ratio?(will need to find something that fits the rod bore to save cash)

What size Valves should i run to get optimum performance, without sacrificing too much down low?( I want to have all of the torque down low, and at shift points without revving it too much)

With the 911 shroud, what CR is best?(93 octane regulat Chevron Gas)

What carbs to run?(with the cylinder volume X max RPM / 40 formula I get a 73mm carb! I think that's a bit too big

I also wanted to know what size Vents are recommended( with the same formula for vents I get a 40mm vent size)
Old May 9th 2003, 03:22

Hi,
Most seen sizes with 2366 cc here are: 44x38 valves, about 9:1 compr. ratio, stock but lightenend rods and 44IDF with 36mm vents.
The 103mm steel cylinders have a bad reputation on this forum though, but you probably have heard of this before. I also believe they may wear out after around 30k km's.
Walter
Old May 20th 2003, 22:20

I know this engine combo is out there, I wonder how many are running it.

E
Old May 21st 2003, 19:19

If these 103/104/105 cylinders are prone to warping, have them cryoed to stabilize the metal. I think it would cure that problem. Then use Olivers machined ridge to help them seal at the head. Knowing what I know now, I would have done that instead of 94mm cylinders on my engine.... then I would have to spend a bunch more $$$ on bigger valves/seats and better cam, bigger carbs.... Naw, my little 1971cc will make enough power for now and much less cost. The PCs would be the cheapest part of the upgrade!
ken
Old May 22nd 2003, 12:05

Good to know. I have been reading from Jake's post on the STF and it sounds like a great idea to have the cylinders cryo'es and the lower end and valves as well....

E