GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 30th 2002, 08:00

Exclamation

First of all im from Manila,Philippines. For me germanlook/eurolook is a new trend in our vw industry that may not be compared to other looks,its a way of upgrading our vw's to a stage were even some of the newer cars cannot compete,but it doesn't have to be porsche parts,all we need is to use new aftermarket/highformance parts that can make our selves proud and individualise our vw's.

Right now I have a 1302s that I have for 4 yrs. its my first vw and I want it to be my only vw,and I already painted the bumpers,and will start to modify the front suspension to accomodate smaller coilspring so that I can install a BBS/TSW 17's hope to hane a type 4 engine, but thats way to far,but I love the look and hope to make my superbeetle a looker in our country.

My friends have a sight we all love modifying and into euro/germanlook some of our fellow enthusiast doesn't understand our passion to germanlook but soon they will.
This is our website:www.also.as/vwfreak.com tnx for a very nice site,its a good help.

RAE NOEL SEVILLA
vw 1302-s '72
Old August 3rd 2002, 11:34

To me, Germanlook and Eurolook are two different things. Both similar. Germanlook is a Vdub term and there is talk of Eurolook cars in Maxpower and the like.

I agree with all that's been posted about Callook, nuf said.

To me, the epitome of why we are all here is a car with proven performance developement. Next generation aircooling.

What we do is different. Although extreme, it should appear natural. I like to think my mod's look factory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a full-on Kafer-cuf monster, but 1 thing at a time.

My Bug is an ex. Cali '79 Karmann, Orig. Lemongelb but now Porsche 'Pastel yellow'. Black roof. Now RHD. Full chrome inc. original s/s rear fender stone chippies, 17" Cup2's 215/40 and 225/45 Goodyear eagle F1's. red 944 Brembo 4pots allround. Huge chrome 'impact' bumpers. Kerscher single coil struts, F+R anti-roll bars. Black/grey Recaro's, VDO's in Kamei pod and Blaupunkt.

Stock FI engine with stainless, single tail pipe exhaust and stock 3.88 trans. Under developement: 2.4 TypeIV with 914 heads, 915 trans. and a 1776 K-jet rebuild for current motor. Good heater!

I consider this to be the base for the ultimate beetle experience, Lower centroid, arguably stiffer, rack and pinion steering (2.3 turns lock to lock)

Personally, I've never called it germanlook or anything! It's a happy little yellow Beetle. May I add, we feel right at home on this site.

What would you call it? Do you approve?

Old August 3rd 2002, 11:39

Old August 6th 2002, 09:35

Germanlook: Exterior: 1303 body, 20mm front,40mm rear widen fenders, Porsche rims minimum 16', Porsche brakes, coilovers, brace bars front n rear, black trims, paint:black,grey or silver, bonnet better to be the cabrio ones, it looks better than the sedan bonnet, kamei front spoiler cutout center for oil-cooler, Europa bumpers with clear lens signals, Remmele roof spoiler, blacken handles.
Interior: Modified dash for 3 Porsche gauges, leather Recaro/Porsche seats, 911 rear view mirror, Prefer a larger diameter steering ie: Porsche, to view gauges as momo ones are pretty small n blocks the view of gauges, rear seats modified to 911 style, dark interior.
Engine: T4 with the works!
Old August 6th 2002, 21:08

Germanlook is, to me, the modernization of an air-cooled VW.

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen

Last edited by NYBugman1972; August 6th 2002 at 21:13.
Old August 6th 2002, 22:24

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBugman1972

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?
Well said! Also, I don't think something like wheel size should matter. I think alot of people are thinking along the lines of Porsche look. Again, I see GL as a tuning thing more than a look. I mean look at the watercooled VW's. They are starting to go more for function rather than flashy styling. (finally) We're starting to see them with smaller diameter wheels, less body kits and they are giving more attention where it should be given. TUNING! Are these still considered GL? I know we're talking air-cooled, but it still follows the same "guidelines" I guess you could say. I'll say it again. There is alot we can do with this style. It shouldn't be limited too much as just to Porsche parts or "no interior". Everyone's cars are going to look the same just with a different paint job. My car will have a full interior. I don't want it to look like I'm gonna blow your doors off. I want it be as embarrasing as possible for the guy I'm racing and still be a joy to drive. And I definitely will consider my car GL. But "no interior" is GL also. Why not? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be as limited as the GL cars will start to look like clones just with different paint.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 7th 2002, 04:10

Brens bug is a German Look bug, but with a British Twist: Its subtle. Its definitely not Call-look, first because of the wheels, but then there is the level stance, and the fact that he has built it to go round corners well..

For me Eurolook is everything that isn't Call-look (which still dominates), there isn't much else. Also Eurolook is a term used to encompass lots of different styles, pure German Look, French Look, Brit-look etc.

Chris
Old August 7th 2002, 06:16

Thumbs up

I think that my little superbug is German Look, or it may be even called Aussie Look? It has a little bit of everything. Porsche wheels, Porsche wing, Porsche seats (Fixed Cobara seat for the track) Porsche & Autometer guages, 'little' 1880cc motor, full carpet & soundproofing, roll cage, Stereo & speakers etc. I couldn't drive around in a car that had no interior or soundproofing, I think that I would lose my enjoyment for driving very quickly.
So I consider my car to be German Look, Aussie Look & a bit of race look.
But I really don't think that we should start laying down any strict guidelines such as pastal paint or no chrome etc, as I painted my car metallic Purple 9 years ago & I have no intention of changing it guys!
If we have rules & guidelines we will be just like the Cal-lookers are 25 years down the track! Drum brakes, swing axle & a nose down stance with 135 tyres on the front! PLeeeeaaase, what century is it?
Stay Cool
Jak Rizzo
Australia
Ps I couldn't get it to post a pic of my car so u will have to do with a link that James has setup for me
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/moto...ak/jak7023.jpg

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6
Old August 7th 2002, 22:12

the neverending need for humans to classify everything never ceases to amaze me. i battle this same issue in my music career. everyone needs to put everything in a box. i think when you look over everyone's comments on this thread you have what the GL is about. it is about all of them, just tends to be regionalized. mine is becoming a mixture of vw/porsche with a healthy dose of momo. what does that make it? still a vw that is only going to be admired by other vw enthusiasts. if we get rigid with "rules" about the look, that is just how we will be viewed "rigid". everyone has been slighting the cal-look guys, for what...being rigid.

share and enjoy each others rides. i do. and i "will" if i ever finish my damn car.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 8th 2002, 01:00
Superman

Quote:
What would you call it? Do you approve?
I call it a good looking car
Old August 8th 2002, 09:00

What it all boils down to is people in general want to be part of something bigger then themselves. They want to be part of a group of like minded people (thats why we have clubs, organizations, & even churchs)

It all begins when a few like minded people get together, they lay down a set of rules & regulations & then everyone in the group has to adhere to them (*see footnote). If they dont do this, when new people want to be part of the group, it will be contaminated by those that think differently, this will cause those in the group to guestion their own thinking. And they wouldnt want that! No, most people dont want to think for themselves, they would rather be told what to think. Most people are followers, not leaders.

*Just look at clubs like DKPIII (nothing personal against DKPIII) for example, they are so rigid its not even funny! Doesn't this take away your individualism? Doesn't this lead to boredom? Doesn't this make things become stagnant?

Innovate, dont imitate!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 8th 2002, 09:13

woops!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback

Last edited by vujade; August 9th 2002 at 15:53.
Old August 9th 2002, 15:30
Pepper

Thumbs up chromed german look ??

Hello im a new guy here, graet forum

I recently had the family 74 supper passed down to me, It in great condition except for the motor. I’m in the process of putting a 1984 Mazda 12A in it . I’ve bin trying to decide on the style and color that I would like when I ran across a picture of a “German look” bug, it blew me away that was the look I wanted…BUTT I love the chrome look of the “retro” and so “cals”. Than one day I came across a picture of a “chromed german look” it has a classic look to it, I instantly fell in love with it. It still has the European look to it, and its chromed! I think the german look is a great style, and is very flexible

http://www.boomspeed.com/pepper50cal...x_german16.jpg
Old August 9th 2002, 23:06
Superman

Rear view of same car:

http://www.boomspeed.com/pepper50cal...x_german18.jpg
Old August 14th 2002, 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBugman1972

HaHa! Thanks Mike! I never considered my little bug as having 'attitude'!
For me it's just the way I want it. If you look through the old pages of my website (which is due an overhaul and move to a new service provider) I had initially intended for loads of Porsche gear, but as Bren noted, I can't justify the expense of Porsche brakes, type 4 engine conversion and carbon fibre parts for my bug, at least not at the moment.
Everything on the car is down to my personal taste, from the black wheels to the Porsche gauges. I have received mixed reactions from people about the choice of wheels and their colour, but I don't care. I'm happy with it.
I know I've always called my bug a German Looker. I'm not so sure I want to classify it anymore.

Can I start the 'Irish Look' here and now?
Just kiddin!

Last edited by trevorbrady; August 14th 2002 at 10:03.