GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old September 8th 2009, 13:52

BBS RF (design 5000)

hi guys..what do you think of theese wheels? Originally I was after some LM's but no chance in 17..and now I have the possibility to buy this set..and don't know what to do..has anybody seen them on a beetle?

they are 8" and 9" wide (maybe too big for my car) and on the picture there is the 9x17 rim with 195/40 tyres..now I have 205/40s all around but I'm afraid they are still too small for the 9" (If they were 7 and 8 I would buy them)

what do you say?

Old September 8th 2009, 19:37

i never expected to see the stretched to death tyre style on a beetle, could be interesting, do you have stock width guards & suspension? they wont fit if thats the case, i have 17x8s under 2" widened guards (aerolook-its an aussie thing) +7 offset, & they should JUST fit, havent had the car together enough to confirm but yeah that offset has to be perfect for them to fit & still retain standard steering lock, or close to it anyway, that said, by my calculations & some reversing of bolts in the irs arm/spring plate you should be able to fit a 10" wide under the back of mine also, so id say a 9 is pushing the limits for standard width, that said since you have gone with the stretched tyre look.... perhaps they will fit nicely, if you like this... http://hellaflush.com/ that is. oh, want to know how a 195 goes on a 9"? check out youtube for a video called: "195/40 on a 9" rim"

apologies if i got carried away there, have a few mates into stretched tyres drifting etc
Old September 9th 2009, 04:42

They are quite pretty wheels but whether they are beautiful is in the eye of the beholder. I like them but I wouldn't put them on my bug but if you like them enough go for it.
STIDUB's comments on wing widths are valid
As regards tyre choice you could stretch the 195/40s onto an 8" rim but that is at the upper limit of the manufacturers recommendations (7 1/2J is the normal size) The 9" rims require a 255x40 tyre that will be 644mm o/a dia so that suits a beetle gearing. Don't stretch tyres onto rims beyond that recommended by the tyre manufacturers because apart from being dangerous you will probably invalidate your insurance and any tyre warranty, that is of course in addition if you don't fall foul of any local laws. IMO it doesn't look good and just adds a badge to the car to say what a prat the driver is.

Clive
Old September 9th 2009, 05:06

thanks guys BUT

I have a standard beetle with stock fenders and a 2" narrowed beam in the front, and lowered to the ground. During the years I have had a lot of wheel and tyre combos, so the question wasn't that. Just wanted to know what do you think about the design, will it bang on a (GL) beetle or not? Because I can't imagine this wheel mounted on a bug.

I hate stretched tyres too! They are ugly and unsafe..a GL car is about the power and handling. Actually I have 7,5x17 wheels with 205/40 tyres around and I wouldn't be happy about buying new tyres as mines are nearly brand news..that's why I was asking if a 205/40 would fit into a 9" or not. But for now, I'm sure at least a 215-225 tyre is needed for that rim. on the 8" 205 are OK I think.

not the best pics for this but the rear tyre is a 205/40 on a 8,5 rim

As theese wheels are 3 piece wheels, maybe I can get smaller barrels and make a 7 and 8 wide set of them..so the main question is still the design.
Old September 9th 2009, 05:47

The minimum width tyre recommended for a 9" rim is 235/40 so your 215/40s are not suitable.

Clive