GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Members Rides

Old September 23rd 2004, 15:10
Administrator

Good to hear you are back up and going on the car. When you get the engine back from Jake go for the complete installation and get some break-in miles on her for a while before you throw down on it. Then go out and find one of the Civic's,,,,,,, that looks like the guy drove thru Pep Boys with a big magnet,,,,,,,, and pummel his @$$. That should be great therapy. :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 23rd 2004, 20:08

Bill,
With my move to SoCal, new job and good facilities at my disposal, I will hopefully have my Supa parked beside your Bug at the next BOR. I can email you directions to the most savage road out here, twisties for 30+ miles, almost no traffic and no cops. I'm sorry to hear about your engine, but it sounds like everything is going to be alright. Don't waste you're time on civic's, hunt down Z06's, 996's or Camaro SS's. Don't be a stranger brother.

Nick
Old September 23rd 2004, 21:01

glad it wasn't any worse. did you have a stock flywheel in it? i am running a lightened FAT, so just wanted to be sure. i'll be out there in a couple of weeks if you have the time to hook up. i may rent a car while out there so i may have wheels to come to you if needed.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 24th 2004, 02:30

Thanks for the support. Looking forward to enjoying the car on Supa's favorite routes in the foothills. I won't street race -- too risky for an accident or ticket. I'm into this for recreation not competition.

Nick, sounds like a good opportunity. Good luck in SoCal. Pleases email your list of "top 5 radical NoCal drives". Two GL's at the next BOR? Right on!

Ya Zen, the flywheel was stock T4 lightened by Jake. Is your "FAT" flywheel the same thing as Jake's new "billet flywheel"? This seems to be a freak failure caused by a freak driver... I'll be Mr Mom that weekend. I'll PM you my number so we can meet up. Who knows, Jake may come through quickly and you can help assemble and install.

Sisu,
Bill
Old September 24th 2004, 07:45

don't know if the flywheels are one in the same or not.

Old September 24th 2004, 08:25

very nice car Bill

Keep up the good work :agree:

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 24th 2004, 23:54

Hey Bill here is a link to a thread about Mosquito Ridge Rd. There is a map of it, a 3D visual, and satilite pic. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

Nick

Directions are simple
80E to Auburn
Foresthill Exit-Rt
Straight to Foresthill
Rt onto Mosquito Ridge Rd

Nick
Old September 25th 2004, 16:47

Awesome!! 600 turns in 36 miles with views the whole way... I've heard the Icehouse road is good too. Mountain biking off Foresthill is sweet too. Back to the garage, so I can get to it ASAP. Thanks Nick.
Old September 25th 2004, 21:29

Ya, Mosquito Ridge is more low speed(below 100mph)lots of corners, I haven't ridin on Icehouse, but I have heard lots of good things about it as well, its more high speed(100+).
For some extra twisties when going to MRR take 80E, then get off in Auburn at Elm Ave, make a LT onto Elm, Lt at next light onto 49, follow that down to the river, at the bridge go straight, thats Old Foresthill Rd, at stop sign make a RT onto Foresthill RD. Thats a lot of twisties, and the view is awesome too. Oh by the way, the Foresthill Bridge aside from being the third highest bridge in the US is also where Vin Diesel jump the Corvette off in XXX.

Nick
Old October 16th 2004, 18:18

Web site online

Here's my web site on the project. I'll post here when I make updates.

Last edited by Bill K.; October 23rd 2004 at 10:36.
Old October 23rd 2004, 11:31

Reborn

Jake got me the short block back this week and it's running again. I assembled the top end, shroud, etc. This time I have a forged flywheel with Kennedy stage 1 pressure plate and gold disk. It's lightened to 12 lbs.

Before I had a lightened stock cast bus flywheel. That's the puppy that broke doing a high rev launch. The rear of the flywheel o-ring groove welded to the crank, the crank was bent, and the case main bore was toasted. Jake did me right with the repair and did it quickly. He even dialed in the timing to get the engine to fireup over the phone at 3 am on the top of a 20 ft ladder.

The reinstall went well as I was able to fix a few things that weren't quite right the first time. Also, I added a hyfire VI-AL and set the rev limit to 6250 as the engine stops putting out power at about 6300 rpm. I got a little toasty adjusting the timing as the rubber boot on the coil wire slipped down and exposed the terminal a bit. When I grabbed the distributor - ZAP. It's all fun and games replacing your engine until you get hy-fired.

The gauges are installed and looking sweet. There is a problem with the LED used for the alternator idiot light. When wired throught the LED, the alternator doesn't turn on. I'm using a stock incandescent bulb for now and will try wiring them in parrallel today. Maybe the LED needs an extra resistor in line for the regulator to fire up the field. Any insight on what the the internally regulated Bosch 75 amp alternator needs to excite the field?

My SPA dual gauge for CHT is not working right either. When the ignition is on it reads right. When the engine runs, it reads erratic or nothing. I've done some preliminary trouble shooting and it seems to be related to the probes I got for KS Avionics. Bill Simpkinson at KS Avionics is a great guy and knows thermocouples very well. We'll get it figured out.

It's rolling on a set of space savers I got from eldavid while the Fuchs get restored at Weidmans Wheels in Oravile, Ca. Harvey and Sue are really nice people too. He's been doing Fuchs forever and is one of the best. His wife, Sue, paints the center caps. I drove up there with my three kids to drop off the wheels and tires thinking I would open the door to the van, roll the wheels to the front door and bolt with the kids screaming, etc. But instead, Sue invited the screaming kids inside to color, play with toys, etc until her grandkids showed up. I was free to take the shop tour with Harvey and learn about Fuchs. He's into 356's and wants to put a T4 in one. I sent him Jake Raby's way. The new wheels are going to be awesome.

The car looks crazy with the space savers and low pro tires. I'm not sure I can get it out of the driveway without scraping the header. I had to shim the front wheels as a pair of the wheels from eldavid don't bolt up tight. WTF? The bosses around the holes aren't as tall as the other pair so the lug nuts bottom out before the rim is seated on the hub.

I've got the carbon fiber bug. Looking forward to an air dam, running boards, gravel guards, roof spoiler, and headlight rings from CarbonJoe. I'm going with the dark blue kevlar/carbon fiber weave. Joe's another person who makes this hobby a lot of fun.

Anyway, that's my blog of the month. Back on full throttle,
Bill
Old October 23rd 2004, 13:16

Ah, now I see the wheel issue more clearly. I have a set of these bottomless lugs: http://geocities.com/ex1zee28/PorscheLugs.htm This way you won't have to shim the front wheels. Come by and pick them up at your earliest convenience.
-emerson
Old October 23rd 2004, 13:51

glad the morning period is over and you are back at it. i still need to get back on mine as well. started driving it and it is hard to get back to the rest that needs to be done.

keep taking those pics.

Old October 23rd 2004, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavid
Ah, now I see the wheel issue more clearly. I have a set of these bottomless lugs: http://geocities.com/ex1zee28/PorscheLugs.htm This way you won't have to shim the front wheels. Come by and pick them up at your earliest convenience.
-emerson
No, it doesn't work with those either. Had to use 5/8" washers with the bottomless lugs. I think it will be fine for now. Thanks for agreeing to take them back when I get my Fuchs back.
Old October 25th 2004, 01:24

Washed the car for a christening drive (again). Love the feel of the new Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate. Softer than the T4. Below is a shot of the 15" space savers. The header is about 5" off the ground. I can't even get the low profile jack under it without rolling up on 2x6's. Good enough for now until the Fuchs come back in a month or so. I made brackets for the license plate and have the LED bolt lights installed.

I'm liking how the front bumper is working out. The impact strip came from Kaeferland in Frankfurt. I'll hang the license plate below the strip like the rear. I'll detail what I did with the front turn signals in the future (Tech Article in progress).

I took it for a freeway ride and this thing make me tremble with adrenaline. Looking forward to getting my wide grippy tires back so I can get it aligned and hit the hills.