GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 25th 2011, 00:57

.....and some of the 5 speed MD-5 Tranny

Old January 25th 2011, 02:35

This is one of my favorite shots of your car ever....

[/QUOTE]
Old January 25th 2011, 11:09

It looks like the drive shafts are not perpendicular to the box. Is the tranny so very short or does it widen the wheel base?
Whats the reason for this?
Old January 25th 2011, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
It looks like the drive shafts are not perpendicular to the box. Is the tranny so very short or does it widen the wheel base?
Whats the reason for this?
Good eye, most people do not catch that. The reason for the shaft having a slight angle to them is because the ring gear is about 2 inches larger then the standard vw ring gear. The trasaxle is moved forward to keep the mounting point on the bell housing in the same place as a stock vw unit. Hope that clears it up.
FYI: A standard 930 Porsche CV can take up to 22 degrees of angle with out harm. These in the picture have 7 degrees i beleave.
Old January 25th 2011, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrydes View Post
FYI: A standard 930 Porsche CV can take up to 22 degrees of angle with out harm. These in the picture have 7 degrees i beleave.
Thanks for that. I wasn't really worried about the CV's at all BTW
I still run Bus CV's at about your angle (guesstimate), but my tranny is to the other side and still holding up to the torture (500Nm) I throw at them... (knock on wood)
Old January 25th 2011, 23:24

Hey thats not a transmission..thats artwork!
Great shots and great work on the car..thanks for sharing!
Old January 26th 2011, 20:01

Old January 27th 2011, 01:23

....and some roll bar shots

Really wanted to make sure when you looked directly through the quarter window not to see the roll bar.....I'm happy with how it turned out. Also, it's completely removable
Old January 27th 2011, 18:24

Looks good underneath but I'm guessing the cage is just for show? The weld a couple inches up, mid pipe, on your main hoop wouldn't pass scrutiny, and the rear down bars going to the firewall shouldn't have bends in them. I just want to make sure this is a street only cage before you get too far into it

Other than that the work is amazing!
Old January 28th 2011, 14:00

Actualy humble,
The cage was built to spec. I'm not sure why in the photos it looks like mild but it is actualy DOM 120 wall ....
Old January 28th 2011, 18:05

.120 and I'm guessing 1.5" dia? Plenty strong for a beetle and it will probably be okay, but it looks like the main hoop leg was cut too short then re-welded in that first picture. Even if that's not the case it would never be approved officially because of that weld.

I'm looking at it from a racing point of view and not a street point of view so don't be offended. I've spent time with different touring car teams and have shadowed many scrutineers before building my own car. I'm fairly familiar with the FIA spec cage designs but I'm also not perfect.

As a street cage, it will certainly stiffen up the body quite a bit, and I love the fact that you can't see it through the window. I've done cage work myself and I can appreciate what a pain it can be to bend and notch tubing correctly. Are you going to tie the cage to the suspension at all?
Old January 29th 2011, 04:36

[QUOTE=Humble;79408].120 and I'm guessing 1.5" dia? Plenty strong for a beetle and it will probably be okay, but it looks like the main hoop leg was cut too short then re-welded in that first picture. Even if that's not the case it would never be approved officially because of that weld.

What you see there is a coupler that is with in the specs. Where the cage meets the fire wall there is 1/8 plate on both sides. We are going to be racing this car in the future and will find out what the tech inspector feels.
As for tying it into the supsension, no. That is why we went to the extents that we did to make it a structal part of the body. I'f you look over the chassis you'll find it uses our factory installed suspension set up.

Oh yea, I'm not offened I just don't want to undermine the thoughts of this over the top car in anyway. Hope you understand.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tims oval last fit 018.jpg (81.8 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by coolrydes; January 29th 2011 at 04:43.
Old January 29th 2011, 16:17

I totally understand, it's your baby and I have have one too so I know the feeling

BTW, I'm crazy jealous of your setup and when you guys get a super beetle front setup ready I will upgrade my own car with the mendeola gear. I'm not sure if I could modify to run a wider track (56.5" front track, 67.5" oustside is my current setup) but it would be worth looking into.
Old January 31st 2011, 00:41

.......custom one-off pics

3rd brake light tucked under the rear vents

installing the rear back up LED lights in the old bumper override holes

continuing with the "holy" theme on the door handles

Pedal assembly custom made by Pedal Works

Old January 31st 2011, 04:02

[QUOTE=coolrydes;79415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
.120 and I'm guessing 1.5" dia? Plenty strong for a beetle and it will probably be okay, but it looks like the main hoop leg was cut too short then re-welded in that first picture. Even if that's not the case it would never be approved officially because of that weld.

What you see there is a coupler that is with in the specs. Where the cage meets the fire wall there is 1/8 plate on both sides. We are going to be racing this car in the future and will find out what the tech inspector feels.
As for tying it into the supsension, no. That is why we went to the extents that we did to make it a structal part of the body. I'f you look over the chassis you'll find it uses our factory installed suspension set up.

Oh yea, I'm not offened I just don't want to undermine the thoughts of this over the top car in anyway. Hope you understand.......
What Humble is saying is that for autocross or HPDEs you are fine, but if in fact you wanted to actually race this thing against other cars or do TT, the rules for most of the major sanctioning bodies state that there cannot be a bend in the bar that connects the main hoop to the rear. There also needs to be a diagonal bar that travels from the drivers head area of the main hoop to the floor area on the passenger side amongst other additional bars. We just don't want you to find out too late that you've got an under-engineered roll cage for road racing if you can catch it up front. I think she's too nice to race anyway! Hate to see something happen to such an amazing vehicle.

As far as the coupler is concerned, I'm pretty sure it's not going to fly on the main hoop, but I've got my fingers crossed on the diagonal, as I need to have some parts of mine removable to, the engine comes out through the passenger door!

Here's a link with the NASA rules:
document page 72(page number 59)

NASA Rule Book

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; January 31st 2011 at 04:12.