GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old November 25th 2005, 01:47

LOAF: I'm going to try to do this with the body on. I don't really have enough room in my garage to raise the body. As a result I'm going to gut the entire rear end, por15 the bottom of the body and pan, change all the bushings to urethane, replace all the bearings (already have everything....thank you Topline) and finalize my 944t brake conversion. Its going to be a pain in the butt....but, in the end it'll be worth it. I will be taking pics before and after each step of the process so if anyone has questions I might be able to help....or someone can help me if I get stuck. The biggest obstacle will be lighting (I might have a solution for that).....and the other one will be locating the rear mounts on the tranny. In regards to those I'm going to make a jig from my old t1 tranny (before I remove it) so I can locate the 901 in the same location. I already purchased my kit and can't wait to start installing it.

GS GUY: If someone doesn't get you a pic on the mounts....I'll get you one when I get my kit. The only worry I have about the whole install is the rear mounts. I'm going to be installing those absolutely last with the help of a self made jig. I will admit that I'll be measuring quite a few times and mocking everything up before I drill a single hole into the tranny.
Old November 25th 2005, 05:07

Hi 1303C2/3,

itīs the best to work with the 914 flywheel as it fits best to the clutch lever ratio and the clutch bearing. But you can also use a type4 bus-flywheel. Then you must adjust the lever, so that you have the correct ratio for the clutch release. You can use a 914 starter, a Beetle automatic starter (if strong enough for your engine), a Bus T3 automatic starter, or starters like the one from Gene Berg. I do also offer a very strong starter (1.4 Kw). It costs 250 Euro. It has very much torque, as it is with a gear-set inside.
You can not modify the pull type clutch lever to a push type one. Try to get one from a 901 gearbox with push-type. You can use the original clutch bearing of a Porsche 914 and by the way itīs the best solution, although itīs not cheap (but still cheaper than a pulled type from a Porsche 911).

Hi Eviloval,

donīt worry it will also work when the body is not raised from the floorpan. Itīs a little more work and itīs not that easy as you see it in the report, but most of my customers are in that situation and it does work.
Will have a check on my bank today. Hope to get out the goods early next week.

Cheers Martin
Old November 27th 2005, 23:31

Martin, and all

Finally made it to Kinko's and have 2.4 Meg PDF file of the scanned article from Ultra..

Can one of the moderators or someone host this as a tech article.. would be helpful to showcase the conversion parts and how to..

Please PM me or email me if your intersted in the article in the mean time..

Thanks
Alex

PS Martin I will email you a copy tomorrow for future reference.
Old December 5th 2005, 07:05

EvilOval:
your goods are on the way since last Friday. Hopefully with you by the end of the week.

LOAF:
Thank you for the PDFs of the report. I will add them to my site as soon as I make the English version.

GS guy:
think there is still an answer open about the dimensions of the sump. I will check it for you the next days and give you an answer.

as a current update for all of you (especially for 70Ghia):

my new shifter for Porsche and for Bugs with already installed Porsche-shifters is coming forward well. I have the first housing back from milling and will be able to mount it the next days. As soon as I have first pictures of it I will have them on my site (see under Projekte).

Will have new nose cones by next week again, traverses and oilsumps before Christmas, rest in stock.

Cheers Martin
Old December 5th 2005, 10:45

Martin, will the shifter include the shifter rod assembly?

Glad the file helped.. I will contact you very soon..
Alex
Old December 5th 2005, 11:57

Hi LOAF,

there is no shift rod with the shifter if you mean that. But the bushing for the shift rod and where it is mounted in is a part of the shifter. So you get it as you see it on my site. In addition you need the connector to the gearbox from Porsche. It costs 40 Euro as a new part. Can give you the product code, if you want to order one from Porsche.

Hope to have answered your qestion. Do sometimes have problems with understanding, although I do understand most things in English

Cheers Martin
Old December 13th 2005, 08:15

Hi EvilOval,

have the goods arrived in the meantime? Havenīt heard anything from you the last weeks. Please give me a feedback. Can do it by mail also.

Cheers martin
Old December 15th 2005, 20:01

Martin....everyone,

The parts arrived (early christmas present for me ). I opened everything up and all I got to say is everything looks great....its a shame most of it won't be seen when its installed. Anyways, if anyone needs pics of parts let me know and I'll clip some off. I'm in the process of cleaning and disassembling the car and will hopefully start fitting everything to the tranny next week with the mods to the car happening slowly over the course of the next few weeks.
Old December 15th 2005, 20:19

Evil,

You know I need pics.. olaverriam@yahoo.com

Hey did you get the CD.. let me know..
Loaf
Old January 4th 2006, 16:06

Evil,

Any updates.. still going to tackle this via body on?

Can you post some progress pics..

Martin just got my wire transfer, so hopefully in the next two weeks I should be getting parts to my door..

Depending on the weather in the North East will determine if I venture outdoors..

Excited.. no I need to source some misc items..

Loaf

5 speed here we come..
Old January 11th 2006, 00:04

LOAF: I've torn out all the rear suspension components and I'm in the process of cleaning and painting (POR 15) the underside. I'm doing this while the body is still on so I've had to work on lighting issues and of course space limitations.
Old January 11th 2006, 09:58

Evil,

If this weather holds up I will be doing the same (I am in the North East), parts are on there way.. so very excited..

I as still torn, about body off.. Either way the suspension has to come off.. at that point I will determine what I am doing.. but leaning toward off, since I need to do pans.. maybe powdercoat, or at least a little por15.. it just starts to pile up.. hell might as well do lines while I am at it

Did you take any pics?

Alex
Old March 5th 2006, 12:55

Here's a site with the 901/915 gear ratios
http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

901's are good upto 300hp and 915's are about the same.

Geoff