GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old August 14th 2002, 13:41

different Porsche trannies?

Could someone write an article on the differences (and pros and cons) of other Porsche transmissions? I get confused, not knowing alot about Porsche 911's, when the numbers 915 or 901, etc are mentioned. Even a list of transmissions that work in a VW conversion with gearing and weaknesses would be a great help. Also, include the years and cars that they were available in. Price is always relative, but maybe include the suggested value so we don't spend hundreds more than we should have.

My Blog
Please help me get a minimac
Parts I Need
1965 Beetle "Gordie", 1956 GL Beetle

Last edited by bugsoup; August 14th 2002 at 13:45.
Old August 29th 2002, 16:37

A thorough article would be very good. Here's what I have learned after starting down this road 2 years ago.

The 901 came in '66-'69 911s and 912s with some minor changes, this is the easiest to install in a VW. Must use a Porsche flywheel so the starter gear fully engages. Most seem to have type 1 size CV flanges making axles a bolt in, my 902 from a '69 912 (virtually the same as a 901) has 930 size flanges, expensive to fit but bullitproof. There were many gearsets available from a 1-1 5th gear to several over drive 5th gears. 912 transaxles have an overdrive 5th but a low ring and pinion and about 4-1 final drive. You can pick up a decent 901/902 for $300-$600. They don't weigh much more than a type 1 4 speed. Shift pattern for the 901 is simular to the type 1 with 1st gear below reverse (and spring loaded too).

The 911/01 came in '70 and '71 911s and is fairly rare. I think it is like the 901 but with a 915 clutch.

The 915 came in '72 to '85 (I think) 911s. These are larger and heavier than the 901. The clutch can be a problem to work out. The clutch release bearing must be pulled away from the engine to release the clutch, there is a bellcrank in the bellhousing to accomplish this. To make a type 1 engine work with this trans you must have a custom flywheel fabricated. To use a type 4 engine, you need a 912E flywheel/clutch/release bearing. 915s could have a number of different CV flange sizes including type 1 size, type 2/944 size or 930 size. If you have the money and an engine that needs the beef, this is the way to go with the 930 CVs. shift pattern for this trans is like modern 5 speeds with 5th gear on on top with reverse below it. I have seen 915s go for $600 to over $1200 depending on condition and time of year-prices seem to be higher in the winter, I guess Porsche guys take their cars apart and spend money on them then!

All need custom front and rear mounts fabricated.

Type 1 shifters have been made to work, most use 911 shifters. The shift coupling on a Porsche trans is low on the nose cone while a type 1 is high on the nose cone so a bent shift rod (doesn't always work well) or a couple of u joints are necessary. The u joints cause another problem, the shift rod is normally only supported by 1 bushing to the rear of the shifter. If u joints are used the shift rod is no longer rigid and will need forward suport to ensure proper operation (more fabrication).

I hope this helps some, read all the posts and you will learn alot.
ken
Old August 30th 2002, 01:46

Good info,
Just to add to it... the output shafts on all of these gearboxes I have found to be interchangable... e.g...you can use T2/944 size output shafts from the 915 in your 901.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old August 30th 2002, 10:34

Michael,
I have found that the output shafts bolt up but may not completely interchange. I have some 914 output shafts that will bolt on to my 902 so I can use type 1 size CVs but the shoulder that the seal rides on is longer than the original 930 size flanges, this prevents the inner splines from engaging completly. Some machine work to trim the shoulder and I'm in business. Just something to be aware of.
ken
Old August 30th 2002, 15:24

I ran 914 output shafts on my 901 in my Oval with no problems. It originally ran 930 output shafts.
I've swapped the 930 shafts into my 915 box (originally from my 901) and now have a pair of 944/T2 size shafts spare.
My 901 box was a 69. It may be that the earlier 901 boxes (with push type clutch, 1965-69) use smaller seals. You might be able to get around this by putting later seals into it.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old September 19th 2002, 16:56

Red face

I have a 911 01 5 speed gear box in my Ghia. I installed it with some email help from Michael Ghia, (Thanks!!). I bolted on a set of 901 out put flanges and ran stock vw axles. It leaked gear oil because the 901's were minutely smaller in the shaft area. I since switched to the original 911 flanges and bought custom stub axles and axles from Rancho and Transform here in the states. I kept the vw based shifter, don't run a reverse lock out and have recently changed the push button to a second step rev limiter. After all the work, I'm glad I did it (also glad it's over).