GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old November 10th 2005, 13:55

LOAF: I'll cc you with my questions/replys to/from Martin. You are more than welcome to ask offline. You can send me an email at eviloval@comcast.net

MARTIN: Man!!!! I'm tempted, but I need to do the research 1st. I have been looking thru the net about your products and managed to find a pic of the front mount for the tranny installed. That is one slick arrangement. I'm gathering my questions at the moment so I don't want to bother you with them until I get the back issue of UltraVW. Tonight I'll figure out whether my tranny is early/late and I'll email you. The kit you have left is it for an early or late tranny?
Old November 10th 2005, 14:45

Evil,

I assume that their is a part number/case number that we can reference to determine if ealry/late 901 tranny.

I have to do some searching to..

I will hit you up via email, as I have a bad habit of filling peoples inboxes with questions..
I am my own SPAM generator..

Alex
Old November 10th 2005, 16:14

Hi boys,

didn´t want to put pressure on you. Everyone who wants will get the conversion parts. Don´t want that it looks as if I want to telly you: "hey it´s my last conversion kit at all". I will have new parts again late in November or early Decmber. So, don´t worry!

I have three nose cones left for old 901 trannys (aluminium cast series), only one for the 901/914. But this week the new nose cones are already casted again, also the traverses.

Axle flanges are sufficient in stock at my supplier (I only have to pick them from him), also the 5-speed shifters. The other parts I do always have in stock, as for me they are so called C-parts (no high value to store and no high turnover).

Have just checked the back issue of UltraVW and found out, that you can well see how the traverse is being mounted to the IRS brackets.

The only thing that could make some problem (but you keep your eyes on it) is the currency, that could increase the price for you.

If you´ve got questions which keep you from sleeping, then please write me an e-mail ----- no problem!!!

By this will have some training on my English.

Cheers Martin
Old November 10th 2005, 20:49

LOL..

I can sleep now peacefully knowing that it is not the end of the world..

Thanks for the peace of mind..

Will work with evil to get one set of questions answered, and then address our finding with the GL team here.
Alex
Old November 11th 2005, 07:12

LOAF,

I've meet with Martin, saw his Bug and was taken on a test run so I could experiance his work and it was great , his shifter and tranny are fantastic that he builds.
He is even in the works of building a new shifter that will be a direct drop in for those of us who already have the orig 914 style shift plate installed, I did my 5 speed install over 5 years ago.
I was just about ready to put the Ghia on the road when, the tranny started acting up and wouldn't shift any more so I looked up Martin and we meet.
I should be getting my tranny in about another week or 2.
If you have any question ask away, I understand German preatty well.

Last edited by 70Ghia; November 11th 2005 at 07:14. Reason: spelling
Old November 11th 2005, 12:59

70Ghia,

Any fotos of the conversion that you did.. Ovil and Myself, both ordered the back issue.. I have searched the web, but did not seem to find much as far as pics..

Any more input that you could give us is extrememly helpful.

Take care
Alex
Old November 12th 2005, 07:59

Alex,

Did you check out the tech art here on GL, it has almost the same amount of info that Martin's does.
I can take some pics for you later on this weekend.
What exactly are you wanting to know?
I opted for type 1 axle flanges on the tranny as my IRS already type 1, and went with a beefier axles from my friend at Wolfgang Int.
Reason being it was cheaper to just up grade to thicker type 1 axles than hunt down a good used or new pair of type 2 or 944 IRS axle flanges, then you need a set of axles too.

Chris
Old November 15th 2005, 02:12

I got my back issue of Ultra VW today (I'm glad I got a 1yr sub....hot vw's should take some notes). After going thru the article's installation its sure alot easier than the known 901 install. Just some notes.....you will have to remove the front tranny mount from the pan (not a big deal...but a slight bummer), a hole is required for the shift linkage to go thru (same thing you would do the standard way) and you still have to clearance some areas of the frame horns to fit the tranny (a few more than the standard way). The extras are to fit the relocated clutch tube and the cable guide bracket. Some welding is required but not that big of a deal, you will have to move the clutch tube in the pan to clear the tranny (small tack weld).

Also some notes to think of: It would be easier to do this conversion with the body/pan separated from each other for obvious reasons. I won't have this luxury due to space limitations....so it will be interesting to say the least. Also, due to the location of the tranny's front mount you will have to remove the trailing arms from the IRS pivots to install the washers/bolts and spacers (good time to install new bushings since your there).
Old November 15th 2005, 10:12

Evil, how long did it take for you to get your mag..

Mine must be lost in space some where..
VR
Alex
Old November 15th 2005, 11:55

LOAF had mine sent by airmail....only took a few days. I'll add some more info later today about the questions I had.
Old November 16th 2005, 21:21

Evil, you bum beat me by two days.. Just got my mag.. very excited to go thru it and see for myself..

Did not expect it when I got home from work.. felt like a little kid, getting an Xmas gift.. wife already had opened it, since it was in dark sealed bag.. she thought I was upto something

I will let you know what I think once I go thru it..

I need to get my scanner online and post up.. hopefully this weekend..
Alex
Old November 17th 2005, 04:18

Here are some of the questions/answers I asked Martin about his kit. I will be purchasing the kit tomorrow and will be taking pics of the install. Text that is in Italics is the reply:

-The bushings on the front mount....are these replaceable....and if so where/who can I get the bushings from?
They are replaceable, but it is not necessary to replace them. They are very solid and with a steel tube inside. You can get them from me, if they should be worn out (will not happen).

-The 901 I have is an early one. How much work is it to change out the nose cone with the one in your kit?
Will take about an hour of time (incl. cleaning the sealant surface - so, no work at all). Take liquid sealant as Loctite 574 or similiar ones!

-Do you include directions in your kits....or should I use the article from Ultra VW?
Sorry, haven´t got a manual, but installation accordingly to the mag. report is quite easy.

-The modifications required to the shift rod/linkage....do you have detailed info on this or is it a simple mod?
Haven´t got detailled info on that, as there are a lof of different lengths of the shift rod. Have to find out the best length on your car. Use the Porsche coupling, it´s the best one. Take care, that it is not worn out (bushings). Otherwise shift ways get longer.

-I'm assuming that since this is an early 901 the rear transverse that you sell wouldn't work. Would I be able to just drill some hole thru the case and mount it using beetle tranny mounts....or do you have a better suggestion?
Have got aluminium casted blocks, that have the surface of the 901/915-gearbox. They can be bolted to the 901-housing and the VW-rubber blocks can be bolted against them. Disadvantage is, that the gearbox will be about 1 cm higher in your car. Don´t use the rubber blocks from the Beetle, take those from a Bus T2 - they are harder.

A little add on to the question/answer above about the rear mount. Since using the rear mounts would raise the tranny 1cm.....I'm thinking that I would have to clearance the frame horns less to fit the tranny. I will supply info if this is the case once I've installed my kit.
Old November 17th 2005, 10:27

Evil,

Thanks for the update.. I went thru the article somewhat last night, and some of the same questions popped into my head..

Looks like you don't have to bang the hell out of the frame horns, just minor trim.. and with larger rear mount, you may have to clearance less.. (at least that is the perception that I get). Not sure about fitment and clearance of the body with these hardened mounts..

Got some questions on the clutch tube and stuff but I need to get under the car to analyze.. and look at it with the mag in hand..

I ended up buying a shifter 901 from lanner, just before I say martin's site, I may have to put that on the market, I really like his shifter or a variation of it (901) that are sold here in the states.. as opposed to the stock 901..
The shifter linkage and coupler are issues that I need to better understand.. also..

Lastly the nose cone.. anothe plus to this kit, if you have a 914 tail shift is that it looks like you can just buy this cone and flip the diff.. and your most of the way there..

Take good pictures.. I am very interested.. I have to now debate taking the body off.. I think you mentioned something about that.. R U doing it with the body on, or off..

Keep us posted.. and I will go to kinko's and get this scanned as it will be easier than trying to set up the POS old scanner that I have..
Alex
Old November 17th 2005, 20:45

[QUOTE=EvilOval]Here are some of the questions/answers I asked Martin about his kit. I will be purchasing the kit tomorrow and will be taking pics of the install. Text that is in Italics is the reply:

(SNIP)

-I'm assuming that since this is an early 901 the rear transverse that you sell wouldn't work. Would I be able to just drill some hole thru the case and mount it using beetle tranny mounts....or do you have a better suggestion?
Have got aluminium casted blocks, that have the surface of the 901/915-gearbox. They can be bolted to the 901-housing and the VW-rubber blocks can be bolted against them. Disadvantage is, that the gearbox will be about 1 cm higher in your car. Don´t use the rubber blocks from the Beetle, take those from a Bus T2 - they are harder.

Evil - saw this quote and it peaked my interest. I've noted the mis-match between Porsche 901 bellhousing surface and VW tranny mounts. I was first thinking of modifying my new Berg HD mounts - but some pre-formed aluminum pieces that provide a nice surface for the VW mounts to sit sounds like a much better idea! Any way to get pics of this? I'm already eyeing the Suby conversion oil pan, might be adding some more bits to my wish list!

One area I'm having trouble - that is accurately drilling into my Porsche bellhousing for the mounts. Any other options besides buying the SAW type mounts to use for a drill template? Those hole locations need to be pretty accurate.
Jeff
Old November 23rd 2005, 04:39

Hallo Martin,

Vielen dank für die prompte Antwort. Momentan bin ich noch dabei die fehlenden Teile und das passende Fahrzeug (schraeglenker Boden) aufzuspüren.
Well I've studied all the related articles on the web, on Herrn Martin's webpage and the VW Speed article. I have quite a picture about what parts need to be bought or done for the conversion to the Porsche 5 speeder. I've bought both the 901 and 915 transmissions. The 901 one will be used with a mildly tuned 2.0L Type 4 engine for which I'm collecting the few missing parts at the moment. The 915 one I'll keep for a future turboed type 4 project (hopefully ) as done by Armin Klein www.turboboxer.de.
However there are a few things which I couldn't figure out. İs it a must to use the 914 flywheel for proper starter engagement? Can a automatic vw starter work with the type4 bus flywheel? İ don't think that I can find a 914 flywheel and starter! Do I have to use a custom releasebearing fork with the late 901 trans.? Or is it possible to modify the push type lever arm to pull type and will it work with the wv release bearing?
Thanks for all the nice information. Hopefully very soon I'll e-mail you for my parts orders.

Freundliche Grüsse.

Atay