GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 17th 2006, 01:48

Here's the A4 racers pedal assembly with the 4" false floor below it. The driver is back a bit to help weight balance of the car.

Here's the reverse swing pedal assembly in position. It sits just a bit lower than the stock pedals, a position I prefer. I'm using my M3 pedal positions as a reference, and they are just about the same.

Here's the stock MkIII VW clutch MC after I removed the studs.

I had to grind off one of the mounting posts on the base for the pedal assembly. This area is where the assembly is right up next to the steering column. Everything just fits!

1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 17th 2006, 01:54

This is the clutch MC in position

I may be using 2 of these guys to mount the assembly to the steering column. I might make a bracket that welds to these. There will also be a lateral load arm to preven the entire works for spinning on the steering shaft.

I talked to Wilwood again today. I'll be using 7/8ths MCs front and rear, the rear calipers are 1.38" diameter pistons and the fronts will be 1.75" diameter pistons. Those should be ordered up this week.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 17th 2006, 15:11

other than the lateral support to prevent the twisting on the steering column, got any other supports?

me and some friends were talking about it awhile back, and because the top and bottom support of the steering column is supported between rubber grommets, we felt that this wouldn't be too sturdy. it may also fatigue crack

Not to mention in a moment of panic you can produce about 1.5 times your body weight at the brake pedal. I'm not sure that the steering column may be the best place to mount it.

have you seen these?

may be more work but it will hold any shear and moment forces. plus you can make it adjustable
Old January 17th 2006, 20:16

With the rack and pinion steering I have now the steering column is solidly mounted on the bottom, and I think I'll use the same bracket up top to solid mount as well. As long as the brackets and bolts are strong enough, I don't think the steering column will have any trouble with the loads. As long as it is relatively solid, I really like the idea of failure points too. When things are too overbuilt they stand up to an accident while you don't. It will be braced laterally enough to deal with any rotational forces, and the longitudinal load on that strong steering column tubing shouldn't create any troubles there. Also, because they are brackets, the whole assembly can be slid up and down the steering column to make the pedal assembly position adjustable as well!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 22nd 2006, 03:31

After much head scratching I think I came up with the most simple, lightweight, and straightforward way to mount this thing. I made the bracket out of light guage square tubing. Grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers were used. The washers extend to the edge of the square tubing to resist it being squashed. I'll have to weld in crush tubes if I have any trouble.

There are 3 sets of holes so the pedal assembly can be adjust 2 inches forward or back. Note how offset the passenger side mounting bolt hole is at the end. It's over and forward that far because if it were centered the bolt would be going through a stiffening pleat in the body instead of the flat section.

I had to step the front down a bit to clear the base. The front will have some sort of support to close the ends of the square tubing and attach the front of the support bracket to the area under the dash, but I'll wait till the MCs come and are installed.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; January 22nd 2006 at 16:24.
Old January 22nd 2006, 03:37

Here it is mounted. Only 2 bolts are holding it in right here, up against the front bulkhead. The bolts run through the flat areas right next to where the vertical bulkhead meets the angled underdash area. Should be a very strong point, and the forces are spread through the bolts AND by the bracket just butting up against the bulkhead.

I did just a little more grinding on the pedal frame so it would fit up snug against the steering column

Here are the two bolts. Sorry they are too long, but I had planned on a thicker backing plate that I ended up not really needing. I'll get the correct length ones later.

1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 22nd 2006, 03:46

Here are the two bolts in the trunk area. As you can see, the sheet metal is quite well supported by the bulkhead here. I used large grade 8 washers to spread the load a little.

The pedal position turned out EXACTLY where I wanted it. I used the M3 as a reference so I think it should work our really well.

I may have to grind a little off of the side of the brake pedal. I have wide feet, and there is very little room between the brake pedal and the shifter hump. Just trimming off the right side of the brake pedal should allow adequate clearance for the throttle pedal and should make for great heel/toe action. The guy that is making my throttle pedal it heading to the Daytona 24hr race, so that will be a little bit before it gets here.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 22nd 2006, 09:43

lookin good :agree:
Old January 22nd 2006, 14:24

You're not afraid that it will bend the sheet metal where the bracket is mounted by hard braking?? Or that there will be "movement" in the bracket by hard braking?

Wiebrand
Old January 22nd 2006, 15:48

If I where you I would add two bolts in the "other" end of the bracket, all the load would "twist" the two "bottom" bolts that you got now.

Sorry if you don't understand me, I'm from Sweden you know

edit. Btw, your build is BADASS
Old January 22nd 2006, 16:22

If you guys read the captions for the pictures, you'll read that it's not finished. This thing will be PLENTY strong. No flexing, no bending. The pictures are just to show the location and type of bracket that is fabricated. The point is that with only 2 bolts this thing is in position, and with the addition of one more bracket, you can install aftermarket pedals by only drilling a couple of bolt holes instead of hacking out half the dash.

I think what is kind of cool is that the remote balance bar adjuster will work so well there as well. When all is said and done I'll fabricate a cover so all the brake system guts aren't exposed.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; January 22nd 2006 at 16:27.
Old January 22nd 2006, 17:49

I've read almost everything you have posted about the car and have no doubts that this will be as good as the others!

Just pointed it out

ps. I read all of it and must have missed that it still was under construction ds.
Old January 23rd 2006, 17:29

I also had read everything.. but Then just overread it..

WHOOPS...

WIebrand
Old January 23rd 2006, 22:15

No problem! I'm glad to have some good guys like you to keep an eye on me! It's nice to know I can't screw up too bad before someone will let me know. Keep up the good work!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 24th 2006, 14:32

^^better save then sorry.

but it looks not convertible to brake like that but i can be wrong