GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old November 21st 2007, 14:25
Administrator

915 gearbox, Type 4 engine and 228mm WBX FW

I have mocked up the 915 with a spare T4 case, crank and 228mm wbx flywheel. The measurements from the edge of the bellhousing on the 915 to the ring gear of the 228mm FW are identical to the same setup on my 901 gearbox ! The 228mm PP fits with no clearancing issues either.

I am thinking I can just use the stock 901/914 starter and all will be well. I will hook up the starter tonight with a battery and see if it engages like I think it will.

The only issue remaining then would be the clutch engagement, I think easily fixed by using the BAFS TOB sleeve and T3 TOB for a push clutch and then a hydraulic slave to actuate.

Seems simple

Sandeep
Old November 22nd 2007, 11:02
Administrator

I measured the engagement of the stock 901/914 starter last night and it extends 0.5" (12.7mm). The starter spins the 228mm flywheel when mated to the 915 box, but I am only engaging 0.118" (3.0mm) into the ring gear.

It works, but I can see it wearing out in short order.

I will try the IMI-101 starter as suggested by Tomac.

Sandeep
Old November 22nd 2007, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
The only issue remaining then would be the clutch engagement, I think easily fixed by using the BAFS TOB sleeve and T3 TOB for a push clutch and then a hydraulic slave to actuate.

Seems simple

Sandeep
yeah, the 'only' issue...
BTW, Whats a BAFS??
The most elegant solution would be a annular hydraulic TOB imho, but what, which and how?
I have heard/seen an annular one from a vw passat made to work on a 901, but somebody pls find one that works on a 915. That would be awesome!
Old November 22nd 2007, 21:22

Quote:

Sandeep
BAFS...Bug@5speed Wally TOB sleeve (or guidance tube as Martin calls it) Very nice machine work too!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old January 5th 2008, 09:18

Sandeep,
Did you already try to slip in a 915 disk between that 228mm type 4 flywheel and your 228mm type 4 pressure plate?

I have tried a new (!) LUK 228mm pp I bought for the occasion and also wanted to use Martins guidance tube, but I had the first batch that did'n't fit in the 915... After I had it machined some more, it probably will fit now.

The new LUK pp and the 915 disk would not fit . After consulting with Martin how this is possible, he got back to me explaining there are probably two versions of pp's and only one fits...
Recently I got another (used) 228mm PP from Fichtel & Sachs and that did not fit immediately either, but due to the different construction of these, with some clearencing of the pp and a bit of the disk, the 915 disk now spins freely in the 228mm F&S pp!

So if you want to go this route, I suggest to at least go with a F&S pp or get the Alfa 164 disk Tom mentioned earlier

Any reports on annular trow-out bearings that will work on a 915 box and are small enough to fit between there and the 228mm PP, are greatly welcomed

Regards,
Walter
Old January 5th 2008, 11:36
Administrator

Wally,

Thanks for the information. I have not tried the 915 clutch yet because I have not ordered it. I am looking at a custom disc, either from kennedy (6 puc solid) or from a local porsche tuning shop. I need to use my kennedy stage 2 228mm PP and will take the fw / PP to the porsche shop and see what we can come up with. If no solution can be found, I may have to try the F&S as suggested.

I still have not ordered the hydraulic clutch kit either. Are you happy with your setup -> clutch pedal acctuation ? I can sort out the slave cylinder.

Sandeep
Old January 5th 2008, 11:54

Quote:
I still have not ordered the hydraulic clutch kit either. Are you happy with your setup -> clutch pedal acctuation ?
Sandeep
At the moment, yes, very! Even tho the stock 915 pp is very heavy, when you have exactly the right pivot point length of the clutch arm where you hook the slave onto, your good.
Since the 915 needs a longer throw I heard, I originally used a smaller pivot length and pedal pressure was too high for my taste. After I lengthenend the pivot arm, I can still clutch the disk free and all is good
That took some time and wrenching tho... and I should really let it be for now
Old January 5th 2008, 11:58
Administrator

Cool !

Are you using the SACO kit or the Aircooled.net kit ? Are they the same ?

I've almost got the 915 box mounted in the chassis, now need to sort out the clutch.

Thanks

Sandeep
Old January 5th 2008, 12:14

Its the SACO kit, but the acn-one is probably the same. I bought mine from Alex from VW-ISP-West (or something like that name), who mostly do type 3 parts. The sell the updated, upgraded set throuh ebay as well IIRC. The new set has at least better tubing for the hydraulical line front to back.
Just do a search on SACO here on GL, as Shad Laws did the saco set as well with his 923 in his late type 3 fasty back then and had a few good things to say about it (figures huh )
Old November 22nd 2009, 11:04

hey guys - what was the outcome of this in the end?

ive got a 228 flywheel/pp but not a friction plate yet what did you end up running? also any chance of a pic of your slave cylinder/clutch arm set up??

thanks for your help

Deano
Old November 22nd 2009, 12:33

Its a long time ago and only could find one pic that doesn't look too nice and kinda misses the overall view, but nevertheless:

I went G50 after I thought about what the torque could become...
Old November 22nd 2009, 15:47

thanks for that wally what i had in mind was a bit different its nice to see other ideas! yours is a tidier way of doing it. out of interest - did you cut a massive hole in your tunnel to fit the clutch set up? im running it in a torsion bar beetle so was thinking about opening up the access hole for the shift rod in the framehead and fitting it that way - then making a small hole behind the accelerator arm cover for connecting the pipes etc. should be an invisible install then. dont like the idea of cutting the tunnel too much! the only problem i see is if it brakes...... id have to remove the body to replace it lol!

good point about when you went over to the g50.
Old November 22nd 2009, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub_crazee View Post
. out of interest - did you cut a massive hole in your tunnel to fit the clutch set up?
Yep, the massive hole it was. Still is actually as the G50 now still works with the same SACO master clutch cylinder set-up I have had in all these times.
Old November 22nd 2009, 16:46

thanks for the replies
Old November 22nd 2009, 22:56

Here is an update on 228mm flywheels and 915's from Kennedy Eng. I have talked with Brett at Kennedy, and got some info on the different ring gear placement. A 228mm late bus flywheel's ring gear is .250in. short (as sandeep found out) when used in a 915, and a 914 flywheel is only .020in. shorter. The 6cyl.911/915 flywheel doesn't have a ring gear on it, instead it is bolted to the PP.(one reason the other flywheels come up short) These dimension's are measured from the stock 915 starter gear engagement point. Kennedy's conversion flywheel for a 915 to T4 uses ALL the 915 parts (disc, PP, ring gear, and TOB) these are very expensive parts. I have spent too much money on Porsche parts already.

Now for the good news! I explained what I wanted to do with my T4 to 915 conversion, and they said no problem. So, they are making me a forged billet 915 to T4 conversion flywheel that will have the ring gear on the flywheel, and will use VW bus 228mm PP's, disc's, and TOB (with one of Martin's guidance tube's) . The 228mm disc will just have a 915 center hub on it (I think Wally got one of these disc's) Of course with this set-up it will now be a "push type" clutch.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG