GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 2nd 2011, 21:20

Alex,

Yours is in this bunch getting ready to ship.... Keep us posted on the progress...

Old November 4th 2011, 19:01

Me like it very much!!!
Old April 5th 2012, 15:24

At last, i got mine

Hubs and hats are still on order, but now i have front and rear rotors and calipers. (rears will be painted with gloss black paint)

At rear also coilovers, but in finland uniball kit must be made by factory, so i chose remmele kit, up is my design made from 7075 aluminum to volksmeister.

Last edited by -Alex-; April 15th 2012 at 17:07.
Old April 13th 2012, 19:00

Custom 4" nickies and JE should be here really soon...Also Bugpack 88 flanged crank changed to a Scat 88 flanged crank, due to a availibility. Bugpack is forged 4340, Scat is forged 4340 to shape, then cnc machined.

There is now second head option for really big bore T1 head, instead of just JPM head, i think its german made head. Lots of cooling finns

Last edited by -Alex-; May 8th 2012 at 11:18.
Old April 13th 2012, 21:03

This is kinda blowing my mind, that's just beautiful

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 5th 2012, 15:08

Mendeola kit has been now stripped from parts and ready get aligned to the chassis..any day soon

Hub and hat design has been finalised now, they will be made in few weeks. 1000€ + vat includes TUV legal paper, so thats way they cost so much. But if i need spare hubs or hats, i'll have made them at half of the price at tommisbillet.com

Mendeola front suspension widens the front 8mm per side, and my hub design ads 12mm, so total is 20mm. I have 3cm wider kerscher fenders and kerscher say that with these fenders fit 7" et19 wheel + 205/50 tire combination with stock width axle.

I am planning to use 7,5x18 et50 wheels and 215/40R18 tires at front, should fit well according to offset calculator:

Old May 7th 2012, 16:12

Since i decided to use porsche fan from GWD, like my friend here, i need to use external oilcooler.

I was thinking to use porsche 911 mocal 50 row x 115 matrix oilcooler, outer dimensions are 2" x 6.5" x 13.5". Or smaller similar if it doesnt fit.

http://208.109.215.220/files/kits.pdf

Here i made a quick sketch where its placed in front of mendeola a-arm suspensions, dont know yet if there is room enough.

Old May 7th 2012, 16:41

That 'RS head' is actually not made by RS Motor themselves, but by the same guy that makes the nice tool steel lifters and DS pumps ;-)
Keep the oil cooler small as you won't need a large one. If anything, the alu cylinders cool the oil extremely well.
Nice progress, will be a monster!
Old May 8th 2012, 01:33

Yeah, i know, isnt these heads made by Thorsten Pieper?

Progress since last summer has not been great, but finally cylinders+pistons and case are coming.

I would have had the case already, but Todd at precisionalloy found that recently made cases all had little too tight clearance between cam and crank bearing bore, boring fixture did have loose bushing.

So he offered me the tight case at half price (about $750), and with lapping the cam gear lash would been okay. But if the case would have not been good enough me, he would give me a free case from new batch. I chose to wait the better case from his new batch, he said that there was few improvements.

At my power levels, no turbo, so decide to choose best vw transmission, bus box with all weddle gears, using berg 5-kit. Should handle 300hp, maybe needs extra cooling if driven continously over 130mph Just the idea of slow shifting 915 doesnt interest so much..Early shortnose G50 with lower R&P would be fun, but the costs...
Old May 8th 2012, 04:20

Yeah, those are his indeed ;-)
Didn't see those pics on RSmotor website though? I have seen TP post those pics from himself though. Do you have a connection at RSmotor or something who offered them to you?

With all these elaborate measures and high end parts, I don;t understand why you don;t go the route Thorsten went himself too; WBX case converted to air. His heads were developed with that case in mind originally.
Likewise the gearbox: tbh, I chose my G50 because of the low total costs! Because its strong and shifts beautifully originally from the factory already! I haven't done anything to it, just making it fit, which costs only time mostly. Its only the initial cost of the G50 and thats it, no special weddle gears, intermediate thingy's, 5th gear conversions and the long wait and hoping they will deliver and someone will build it right for you the first time...
You just can;t beat a factory-strong 'right-in-the-first-place' transmission.
Just my .02 as they say ;-)
Old May 8th 2012, 05:56

First i wanted WBX case, but you can put longer stroke to TF-1 case, due to 0.100" dropped cam line. It has also trough bolts like T4 But wbx case is very good.

G50 is definetly great, but i dont like long ratios, like 3.33 R&P and 3.5 or 3.15 first gear or similar. Too bad that lower R&P ratios cost so much for these transaxles, otherwise best porsche trans. But for turbo motor good choice

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...-g50-info.html

EDIT: I think i'll need to rethink these ratios, G50/00 , G50/01 and G50/03 sounds better than rest, these have 3.44 R&P and 3.5 first gear.

I found this new type of head from cal-look.no, i may have confused, these heads are only offered by T. Pieper

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,17767.0.html

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...38585&start=15

Again some gear ratio calculating with 63cm tire;

1. pic: G50/00

2. pic: VW T1 with custom ratios

3. pic: VW bus berg 5 custom ratios

Last edited by -Alex-; May 8th 2012 at 12:41.
Old May 24th 2012, 14:16

I got my LN engineering custom cylinders and JE pistons, holy ****! I have never had so light and shiny pistons and cylinders

Pistons are FSR type, even lighter and stronger than normal JE, they are with 27mm compression height.

Cylinders are with 94mm mahle outer dimensions and WBX stud spacing.

Ok, now waiting "the experts" from Cal-look come to say these are totally unnecessary

Old May 24th 2012, 14:43

Very nice! The FSR type is a recent piston type that JE now also sells for most all car makes as an aftermarket upgrade.
Good choice!

I see you looked into the G50 ratios also. I'am sure if you had a drive in my car, you'd agree that the ratios are ~perfect for a tuned engine in a bug with 17 or 18" rims.
Don;t get too hang-up on the stroke you can go on another case as longer strokes are not always helpfull to get more power. They always flex more then you'l realize. Better heads with more rpm is the way for a performance engine imo.

Last edited by Wally; May 24th 2012 at 14:50.
Old May 24th 2012, 14:55

Yeah, long strokes are more prone to flexing especially at high rpm use, maybe lighter pistons and rods help a bit. Thats way i decided to use all T4 mains scat billet crank. Probably limiting the rpm to 7000-7300.

Last edited by -Alex-; May 24th 2012 at 15:05.
Old May 24th 2012, 14:59

So what stroke are you considering that requires a .10" cam drop?