GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 4th 2002, 17:33

as much as I like a center mounted tach, I really dont see it when I really need it the most....it would be far better on top of the dash, more at eye level.... just my 2 cents

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 4th 2002, 21:26

My tach is also mounted in the center. However...... it has been proven that the eye reacts faster when moved side-to-side rather than up and down. This is why Toyota mounted the guages atop the dash in the Echo. It might be better for vision atop the dash. Also, FWIW, the eye also reacts faster to different color lights. This is why VW uses blue dash lights in the MK4's, so I've heard.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old September 5th 2002, 10:36

My Supa is on its way to being a German Looker, I just installed a set of Maxx struts , I have set of Suzuki Sprint GTI seats and I'm working on getting a couple of Type IV engines, Porsche tranny, 944 discs, and 17's. I am a little burnt out on the cal look . Philippe I did see the GL oval and it was a very nice piece. German look to me is taking my 30 year old Volkswagen changing and modifing it so that it "drives" better, in the process it may end up performing better than most of the cars on the road today. I won't call my Supa a eurolook cause thats what all those honda cars call themselves.

MACL
Old September 6th 2002, 02:53
Superman

They should call the rice burners Asialook :silly:
Old September 6th 2002, 23:03

AMEN!!!

What's Euro about 12 tier wings and illuminated windshield washer squirters? Don't forget the graphics--- always a power adder.:silly:

Old September 17th 2002, 15:02

My dash has that setup! 914 tach in speedo hole. 914 speedo in speaker hole. 5 VDO's, 2 opposite from the speedo and 3 in the radio hole. Carbon Joe custom blue panels and glove box door overlay. It all went together pretty easily. And I retained my dashpad.

I do have a 1302, though. Pics are in my Yahoo album. http://photos.yahoo.com/mikes72sb

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old September 18th 2002, 01:51

Hey Mike I was curious, where DID you get the 1302S emblem?!!?

I NEED one!!!
Old September 18th 2002, 16:17

There's a 1302LS badge on German Ebay now.

Old September 18th 2002, 17:17

Exactly. www.ebay.de Got it for somethng like $10-$15 shipping. It took a little while for checks to clear and communications, but it's easier than finding one stateside, and probably cheaper.

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old September 24th 2002, 14:17

what does that badge look like...any pics?

72 super vert...in progress!
Old September 25th 2002, 07:13

there you go!

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old October 2nd 2002, 09:54

My definition of German look...

Look at any of the German factory built cars in the last decade, Porsche, VW, BMW, Mercedes, and you will see that they are all purposeful, very well engineered, technically advanced and clean in their design.

Also look at the German laws. TUV would never pass a bug running pathetic 135's stretched over a 6.5j rim. They'd also never pass a 2ltr bug with drum brakes. If you have a true GL it'd pass the TUV laws. No solenoid doors. No skimpy tyres. No big engines without uprated discs all-round. No stingers. etc. etc.

My bug has some very heavy bodymods, along with many subtle ones. The overall look is extremely clean and subtle without compromising safety or purpose. It doesn't have fat arches, spoilers or scoops.

Is it a German Looker? I think so. It's going to be fast without compromising safety, it's well engineered, purposeful and a damn site better than when it left the factory in 1955.
rears
230BHP TIV fuel injected.
IRS+Berg 5 speed box.
Build in progress.
Old October 4th 2002, 16:04

I am a bit hooked on this site. There is so much information for my little brain to absorb. I've learned a great deal on what is a very new look in the Northern Cali area. I am also liking all the advice from Germany, England, Austrailia, Canada, and Ireland. It is a very cool that we have an international thing here, and that there is a lot of helping of each other out. Thats what our industry is all about.
The German Look is the next level of evolution for our beloved Volkswagens. This is the modern day version of when the Cal Look started in the late 60's and early 70's and the Volkwagen was the 'Giant Killer' on the drag strip now our little monsters will be ruling the realm of the ciruit racing , the street, or anywhere else we decide to go. And unlike the Cal Look which is very locked on what you can and can't do, the German Look has a very open minded approach to making speed, do whatever you have to do to go fast and look good while doing it.
Kids are going to see our rides that are 'wolves in sheep clothing', and not want a honda like every other teenager has, they will want to be different, they will want a GL VW, and the Beetle will continue to be Immortal, cause rice burners are just a fad and fads die.
Old October 5th 2002, 02:57

I'm totally with ya on that Supa, this site is completely off the hook! I wish I had my 71' here with me, but had to leave up in Idaho cause it dropped a valve, and wanted to leave asap. I want another bug...but dang...I want MY bug!!

Anyways. I love how this new look is really starting to let the bugs (any a/c VW for that matter!) potential really show, like it has so many times in the past, just this time, it's OUR look, not some look that has been done over and over (and over) since the early 70s (cal-look/resto-custom). Even though this look has been done for a while in the UK, Germany, France, Australia, etc...its time this look hit the US, and man did it hit hard!

I really like how this new "look" has soooooo many exceptions, and not as strict like many cal-look clubs. I mean, I really like a standard, riding on 17" turbo twists, to a Super done up kafer-cup style, with fender flares, and deep dish BBS racing wheels, its ENDLESS!!!!!

Thanks everyone that has contributed to making/designing/maintaining this website. You ROCK!!
Old November 13th 2002, 16:11

So much good input already! Let me just throw in a little bit. Granted these are all opinions and I think our Euro scene is so "fresh" it is kind of hard to put definitions around it yet.

First off I think there is a definite distinction between Cal, Euro, German, Rice, and Cup looks. Let me breakdown my view for each one.

German Look: First off CLEAN, like Andy said. I venture to say minimum chrome, mono tone paint (preferably a Glasurit Porsche color, some colors period specific to go with the components you are running), Porsche brakes, Porsche wheels, Porsche Tach (preferably center mount as in a 911/4), any other Porsche guages you can fit in as well that look classy. The interior gets dicey, but Porsche/Recaro seats would be a plus. T1 or T4 engine with 911 shroud, of course. No fiberglass or carbon fiber (as in a real Porsche would be)

EuroLook: Big discs, Euro wheels (non-porsche), carbon fiber, Beetle rear lights (seems common part these days), non-stock seats, no chrome. Pearl paint jobs like on the Audis or other high tech paints. Big T4 motor. Bascially any non-Porsche parts you can grab off other Euro cars and make it look good. Carbon fiber and fiberglass welcome.

Cup Look: All I can say here is all out racer trim. Gutted interior and only what is needed to monitor the engine (speedo optional). Mostly these seem to use heavy duty Porsche stuff, but it is optional if other solutions exist. Of course zero chrome and probably Lexan windows and fiberglass/carbon everything possible.

Ricer Look: Yah there are some bling bling VWs out there. Hard to define, but go to the shows and it shows up.

Cal Look: Everyone knows this look. Worse performance in a turn than stock, pitiful. I like the look in some ways but it is 30 year old technology which is piss poor given the options available today.

Most people end up EuroLook in my opinion (heck that is what I will end up with as well) even though they might want GermanLook.

Heck look at our scene right now! There are very few GL or EL cars out there at all. Some are show ponies anyway which blows I think Jak is the best example we have right now (that I know of -so no offense to anyone) of what our goal is with our cars. Daily driver that tears up the track on the weekends.

I like Joe Cali's words the best "NextGen". The nect generation of what the Beetle should have been to compete in a modern market against the European cars. Big brakes, T4 engine, good seats, good sound system, reliable, fast driver.

I find it striking that one person does not see the pre-68 cars as a true GL. And I have to agree to an extint that they are not the easiest to pull off the look nor the most adaptable. To be honest I doubt it is possible (or look good) to make a true GL early Beetle. Why? The early bumpers need to stay chrome which kills the GL thing, also the door windows. Granted earlys do make a nice EL

Sorry if my views are little more ridgid than most, but that is the way I see it.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe