GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 10th 2012, 00:37

WRX and Porsche g50 help and parts list

Got myself a G50 long nose.Started giving it a good clean and found some cracks on the bell housing around the starter position rung the guy I got it from he was fine about it and I genuinely believe he didn't know about the cracking.Just waiting for him to get another box or bell-housing in to replace it.The engine builder is half way through putting the engine together .

Final Spec.

EJ 205 Block ( 2004 STI )
version 4 STI Heads
Williams Steel H beam rods
ARP bolts
STI Forged pistons
STI cross drilled crank
ACL Duraglide bearings
High pressure oil pump
IHI vf24 Turbo
High pressure fuel pump and filter
this should deliver the power smoothly and should be good for 320-330 BHP

Kennedy adapter kit will be ordered as soon as I have sorted my gearbox.
Old October 8th 2012, 19:57

Graham, I know it's too late but did you consider the EZ30 H6 Subaru motor? It's the boxer 6 and is good for around 300HP naturally aspirated. I used to have a 911SC and the repair bills are ridiculous. I think you'll experience a touch of this with your G50, I'm afraid. I had also looked at the G50 but decided to go all Subie for the power train. Keep us posted!
Old October 30th 2012, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslzzp View Post
Graham, I know it's too late but did you consider the EZ30 H6 Subaru motor? It's the boxer 6 and is good for around 300HP naturally aspirated. I used to have a 911SC and the repair bills are ridiculous. I think you'll experience a touch of this with your G50, I'm afraid. I had also looked at the G50 but decided to go all Subie for the power train. Keep us posted!
Hi thanks for your input sorry for delayed response I wanted to leave a worthy response but seem to have no time to do anything these days apart from work and help look after the kids.

I had thought about the EZ30 but I seem to remember hearing that the wiring/ ECU part of the install could be very difficult so I decided against it.My G50 is going off for a health check soon so hopefully I will have no problems.I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Quaife LSD its brand new in the box and has never been installed.To say I am happy with this purchase is an understatement as I only paid £500 for it a lot of dosh but they are over£1200 now so I had to have it.

I love the look of your ghia,that is gonna be some car when your finished,I will be checking how your getting on.Unfourtunately at the moment I can't do a lot on my car due to a pending court case,so I am collecting and cleaning parts and doing more research.

Regards Graham
Old October 31st 2012, 13:01

for the sump there is martin bott at Bugat5speed

for the gearbox, if I do beginning another swap , I ll take probably the Subarugear kit...when you ll buy the gearbox, the plate, the porsche clutch, the porsche gearshifter, make the the swap, I cheaper and easier with this kit.
Old November 5th 2012, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
I had thought about the EZ30 but I seem to remember hearing that the wiring/ ECU part of the install could be very difficult so I decided against it.My G50 is going off for a health check soon so hopefully I will have no problems.I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Quaife LSD its brand new in the box and has never been installed.To say I am happy with this purchase is an understatement as I only paid £500 for it a lot of dosh but they are over£1200 now so I had to have it.

I love the look of your ghia,that is gonna be some car when your finished,I will be checking how your getting on.Unfourtunately at the moment I can't do a lot on my car due to a pending court case,so I am collecting and cleaning parts and doing more research.
The ECU options are really no different than the Subaru 4-cylinders. I love the way Mendeola mounted the Subaru transaxle:

The transaxle pictured is the hybrid geared, reverse pinion setup from Todd. It also has the Torsen limited slip differential. Mendeola built a pretty slick shift coupler also.

Best part about this setup is that there will be no adapter plates or other funkiness. I know you're all in on the G50. Like I said, I've been there with the Porsches and the bills. From past experience, saying "good luck with that" would be an understatement.
Old November 5th 2012, 15:32

I agree with you with my small experience of porsche gearbox...
Old November 10th 2012, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslzzp View Post
The ECU options are really no different than the Subaru 4-cylinders. I love the way Mendeola mounted the Subaru transaxle:

The transaxle pictured is the hybrid geared, reverse pinion setup from Todd. It also has the Torsen limited slip differential. Mendeola built a pretty slick shift coupler also.

Best part about this setup is that there will be no adapter plates or other funkiness. I know you're all in on the G50. Like I said, I've been there with the Porsches and the bills. From past experience, saying "good luck with that" would be an understatement.
You have got me thinking !!! about the subarugears route but ive been looking at the costs .Subarugears/built box.

Gearbox $5450 Australian dollars = £3560 GBP
Shipping $ 450 Australian dollars = £ 294 GBP
Total = £3854 GBP
No clutch,no Quaife diff

My G50 £1750
KEP Adapter £ 550
Quaife LSD £ 500
Fitting/clutch aprox £1000
Total = £3800

Ok I have to pay aprox £400 to have the diff fitted but once its in there it is supposed to transform the cars handling/characteristics.

A guy in the UK called Russ Fellows runs a G50 and his street legal bug he uses the G50 I am pretty sure he is happy with it.

This is him putting it through its paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMxGmiJJR0
Gotta be one of the best Youtube vids ever

Thanks for your input though guys
Old November 10th 2012, 05:48

Graham, surely you'd ship just conversion kit over for a fair comparison? Subaru trans seem to be quite pricey in Oz and it would save a lot of shipping/taxes..
Old November 12th 2012, 11:51

Just something to muse on... my 915 in my bug was never good at shifting into 3rd gear, i put up with it for nearly five years it held me back on the drag strip and i never got a time better than 15seconds as most of the time was spent locating third...

Any way i sent it in for a rebuild....980 uk pounds in parts alone...plus labour ooooooccchhhhh

makes the subby box look like great value imho
Old November 13th 2012, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Graham, surely you'd ship just conversion kit over for a fair comparison? Subaru trans seem to be quite pricey in Oz and it would save a lot of shipping/taxes..
Doh, didn't think of that Rich lucky someones awake.
But I still have to buy a box and get it converted by someone else and then sell my box, diff,shifter.

My main thoughts are not purchase and fitting cost's of the g50 .I have heard great reports on the g50,how it shifts and how much abuse it can take, and they seem good for 500bhp,more than I will ever need.Wally seem's very happy with his and you have one in your cabrio,both cars are a huge influence on me and my build.The box is highly praised by the gt40 guys who sware buy them.From my research I have read that 915 box it is a very different bit of kit compared to the g50 in terms of strength and particularly shifting.

As well as this I have bought my g50 and I've got a Quaife diff to stick in it.After dreaming of owning and fitting a g50 in my bug and now finally getting my hands on one with a new diff is like a dream come true for me so I have got my mind set on fitting it now.

Out of interest Rich do you think you would go the subarugears route if you where to do your project again ?

Thanks for your thought's and input fellas.
Old November 13th 2012, 07:31

I've spent a many hours in Wallys car and it's got soooo much power it needs the G50.
I just drove Steve C's car and it felt fantastic with the G50.
I think the bottom line is that the G50 is the ultimate solution (they shift much betteer that a 901/915) and the subi box is for those that cant do a G50 conversion. like my self.

Steve and I were having a beer with the guy that runs Vforce and he joked that he went to pick up a G50 the other day and he thought it was bolted to the floor!!!
Old November 13th 2012, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman69 View Post
I've spent a many hours in Wallys car
Yeah, you did and it was great having you around mate!
Quote:
Steve and I were having a beer with the guy that runs Vforce and he joked that he went to pick up a G50 the other day and he thought it was bolted to the floor!!!
yeah, thats probably true as well, but all that weight relates to strength and reliability I'm tempted to think

BTW about costs; I bought my G50 for about 1500 and have never needed to open her op despite all the abuse. Shifter and linkage a few hundred and thats basically it.

Funny thing is I also had the 1200 type 1 turbo'd engine in there and it didn;t feel out of place in there either. I might even bolt a 36hp engine to it next year for a complete cult-shock
Old November 13th 2012, 15:07

I'm glad I have gone with the G50 and would do the same again for my power levels. If I was running a stock engine it would make a lot of sense to go subarugears. Also agree with the above comments about 915 shift quality, G50 is much nicer!
Old November 15th 2012, 03:41

I have decided to leave thread until my legal case is sorted, as I have issued court proceedings against the original company that fitted my engine and gearbox.

Last edited by graham; November 15th 2012 at 23:47. Reason: legal
Old November 15th 2012, 14:16

For info, my short-nose G50 is 70mm forwards and 50mm up IIRC and the cam covers are very close... I wouldn't want to go any further forwards than that or the CV angles would get a bit high.