GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old November 19th 2003, 04:47

What got you started?...

Now, just about every one has read Alex's thread on what's your definition of "Germanlook", which, Alex, was a great thread...KUDOS!

Now that most of us have replied with our feed back and definition of "german look", it should be time, now, to discuss what exactly got you started with the german look "genre", let alone ACVW's!

So the question is....
What exactly got you started?
What keeps you going?
What excites you the most about the "German look" VW?

Yours truly,
John
VolkSport Kfer Gruppe
www.VolkSport.net
Old November 19th 2003, 08:59

I was just going to post the same thread when I got home from work. Anyway, it all started June 2000 when I went into the local vw shop intending on purchasing a rebuilt progressive carb. That didn't happen. I ended up leaving the store with dual solexes and a direct port fogger nitrous kit. Lets just say that I was there enough and spent enough that they still know me on a first name basis even if I haven't been there in a while. But I switched from a cal-look to a german look when I read the August 2001 issue of VW Trends. There was a article about this new thing called the german look. above all else it came down to one sentance of one paragraph. "Did you know that 944s rear trailing arms can be installed quite easily on a bug?". That was all it took for me go nuts with my car.:silly: At this point I have passed the point of no return and I'm in too deep. My bug was my first car and I feel a certain attachment to the car that only other car nuts can appreciate. I am also strongly motovated to finish my car becaus eI haven't seen my garage floor in three and a half years.:silly: And finaly to respond to your final question, everything excites me about the german look. Trying to pick one thing is like asking someone what's the speed of dark... I just can't decide.....
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old November 19th 2003, 10:01

Re: What got you started?...

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid_john
Seeing a Remmelle bug in a copy of volksworld... I had my first bug, a 1303 (73 super beetle, curvy windscreen) and previous owner had tried to cal look it.... Didnt work, just looked wrong IMHO. I really dislike cal look.
The remmelle bug was a 1303, looked SPOT ON, and had huge power and good handling... Form and function.

Quote:
What keeps you going?
Just take my car for a drive, works everytime

Quote:
Form & function Being able to make a car that not only looks quick, but is quick (around corners too )

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old November 19th 2003, 10:04

well, Ive been into aircooled VW's since around 1985 when I bought my first beetle in high school.

since that time Ive owned

2 standard beetles (66 & 67)
2 karmann ghias (69 & 71)
2 type 3's (69 Notch & 68 Fasty)
2 supers (71 1302 & 74 1303)

I've always been into CalLook & custom VW's. Thats whats in my blood.
I love custom stuff. seeing what people have done to their cars has always fascinated me.

To answer you first question, In 2000, when I got back into VW's after being away from them for about 3 or 4 years I decided I was going to build a 67 Cal Look Beetle. The old school Cal Look way with no chrome & super clean. Only I was thinking of putting a modern spin on it with using 17" wheels because I knew they would fit. Plus I had alot of other ideas to make it more modern.

Then in 2001 when VW Trends did like 3 features on German Look Beetle from Europe I was hooked, this what is exactly what I was looking for.

In regards to your second question, I would have to say a lifelong desire to have a Bad *** VW.

Finally, its everything Ive always like about custom VW's & more.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old November 19th 2003, 10:23
Administrator

My beetle was my first car and was my parent's first car when they bought it from the dealer with 200 miles on it. I know that the car has been maintained and have the whole history on any bit of work that was done to it.

There was a Silver Remmele beetle in an old copy of VolksWorld that I saw and said to myself ... That is one BAD *** beetle ! So this is what got me started.

What keeps me going is driving my bug everyday in the summer. With 2.0L T4 power, its like driving a modern car, only its aircooled ! I LOVE driving my bug. This winter, I'm switching over to 18" wheels and 993 Biturbo / 944T brakes so I can be ready for the 'Track' season for 2004.

The best thing for me about a GLVW is form and function .. a car I can drive to work everyday, and also take to the circuit when I feel like it. I'm an ex 125cc shifter kart racer so I need to drive fast every once in a while ! In my area there are 3 major racetracks with a 4th in construction so 2004 will be AWESOME !

Sandeep
Old November 19th 2003, 10:27

I got into VWs in general in July (i think) of 1999, when I bought my 72 Super.

I first realised that I wanted to do a German Look car when I recieved my copy of Hot VW's with a Silver 68 sedan on 17" twists. I don't remember the month, but it was an issue from 2000.

After that, it was all downhill. I began to be more involved with SBO, which didn't help the situation at all Started doing research on how to fit the wheels, brake and suspension upgrades, the whole nine yards.

What keeps me going is simple. First off, GL.com keeps me interested. Most importantly though, it's what I have yet to do that keeps me going. The ideas I have not executed yet. The "what if" factor.

The most exciting part about German Look for me? Teaching an old dog new tricks. Innovation. The desire to be different.

Perhaps the number one thing that I love about the German Look, over performance and all the other things that make GL special, is beauty. I love making something that's beautiful. I guess that's the artist in me.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old November 19th 2003, 12:08

My family still has the '74 Super my mom bought brand new off the lot back in the day so I naturally inherited a beetle when I got my license.
Originally I wanted to go Cal-Look, EMPI's and all, but. . . .
The Silver Arrow 1968 Beetle that rode on 18-inch TSW Hockenheim R's was my first and is still my main inspiration. I was gonna go in that direction. The "old" Germanlook website also really got me going.
Somehow along the way I found out about Aircooled Technology and have drooled over a monster TIV since. Especially after some moron w/ his girlfriend in a 96-99 Mustang Cobra toyed with me in my Beetle one night.
That little event is what keeps me going. I will never be satisfied until I have a moster engine and absolutely WASTE the same car someday on the street. I always figured if I were to spend the same amount on my Beetle as others do on their Honda's, Mustangs, etc., I would have far superiour automobile that is original, unexpected and absolutely bad-a$$.
And that is what excites me about the German Look. It gives me a reason to have a Super Beetle. It will be more original than 99% of the import and domestic trash that is out there, it will perform better, look better, and make non-beetle owners look foolish. The motto "form follows function" is perfect. Its something that a lot of things lack these days.
I live close to and work in Redmond, Washinton. The home of Microsoft. I cannot wait to pull up next to some filthy rich dude in his $50k whatever car, and have me, a 21-year old kid, blow his doors off in my VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE. Its the ultimate slap in the face. Then he can go home and realise what just happened, hide it from his friends and be haunted and have nightmares about the rear-end of my car dwindling in the distance in front of him. Someday...
:silly:

Last edited by TitoRay; November 19th 2003 at 12:12.
Old November 20th 2003, 00:47

so far every one is right on target with their reasons for being so entusiastic about their rides, and completely enveloping theire lives around the GL community...

I tell you that my reasons for getting started in the Germanlook is simply being a VW nut from my early child-hood, my family never owned or even worked on a VW and I was never exposed to them either. I remember exactly when I first noticed the odd looking car for the very first time, I was ridding in the back seat of my mom's 1970 Caddy DeVille and noticed a white car scream by the window, I can even remember asking my mom what kind of car it was, I was about 9yrs old at the time...
Several years passed and I began working on ditbike and Harleys.
One day my freind asked me if I would like to help him and his dad work a car that he bought, it was a 1971 superbeetle, and it looked almost exactly like the one I saw that day those many years ago...
After spending a couple years away from my family I finaly came home and got a job... saved up enough money to buy myself a car...my first choice was a Beetle, I bought a 1966 standard on a 58 pan, cut up the body to make a baja ( because out here in Nevada you really like to have one). Then as I was reading my VWTrends back in 2001 (I dont remember which month exactly) I read an article on the German Look VW. I was sold, right then and there I wanted to buy a another VW and and start ove rin a German Look kinda style with a little added flair as I saw fit...BEEN A GL FANATIC EVER SINCE!

what has kept me going ( with out support, I might add) is the fact that I know I have the abbility to build an amazing car on built for speed and handling, while encorporating outragious cosmetics and A/V componants.
My motto: "form=function=luxury=comfort"

Actually I think that NYBugman1972 said it better:
Quote:
The mos exciting part about the German Look for me? Teaching an old dog new tricks. Innovation. The desire to be different.
I know that what I build is awsome and unique just as every one elses vehicle is, unique in their own way, I think that is what helps bring the German Look community togetherand allows everyone to be open and help those in need with their oppinions and experiances:
Thank You GL.com... thank you for helping me when no one else would! I really appreciate it alot
VolkSport Kfer Gruppe
www.VolkSport.net
Old November 20th 2003, 22:49

I just love old custom cars (any of them really) and making them unique. part of the fun is making them modern if you will and that is half the drive for me to replace all the drums and put on big brakes.

The more I get into it though the more I am getting to like the greaser car influence (like DeLux magazine) and Chopper (Jesse James) look... Yes a lot of this can be used on a GL car.

It gets hard to blend different influences, but if well executed can produce something horific or art

Really my goal that drives me is to have an SUV killer. At first I targeted Explorers, but then the BMW X5 and stuff came out and raised the bar So now I just want a cool van that can kind of kill a select few cruddy cars out there!
... Hey it is a Westi I can only dream so big LOL
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old November 21st 2003, 01:48

I've been a bug nut before I even knew it.

My mom had a bug, when I was a kid, (around 7 or 8) and she hated it! I always loved getting in there, and taking grip of the dash handle...humming along with that very distictive fweem of solid lifters...good times!

Anyway, kind got lost along the way though junior high, my friends were into hondas and lowriders, and I was intrested because they were cars, but I could tell from instinct that's wasnt quite what I was into.

Then, my freshman year in high school, my friend had a 72 super for sale, and I just KNEW I needed that car!! I also noticed that some bugs had a long skinny hood, and others had a squished front end, that stood out to me for some reason...i liked it better (this of course, ended up being a Super...why is it "super", i remember thinking ) I never even looked at a bug mag by this time, but the first time I went to look at it, I was hooked!! I too was going with the cal-look...t-bars, 8-spokes, etc...cuz this was like...a standard that you always see in the mags. I just kept reading and reading about bugs, getting catalogs mailed to me all the time...

Later, I moved to CA with my girlfriend, and bought a 71...which I still have, but its now in Idaho at my moms with a dropped valve, and the cost to get it here would be greater than getting another bug here in CA, so thats what I'm doin!! I found another 71 for $800, which I'm going to go see this weekend...

Ne way...the GL look got me when I first saw BRENS bug (summer of 00), with 16" Konigs...SOOOO different!!!! That started it all.

Now im 21, full time student, and still work 35+ hours, living on my own in the most expensive state to live in....without a bug to work on, I just might go nutz, but as soon as I get this car (lets hope its a good project) I'll get my FIX!!!

As for what keeps me going?? Innovation/originality says it all....that and I can't see my self in ANY other kind of car....its just me!!! I think of VWs EVERYDAY, while at work, eat, school! etc....it keeps me up at night!! Thinking of ideas, etc etc etc.....jezz...I'm hooked!!
Old November 22nd 2003, 00:49

Well i got into VW's some time when i was 11 or so. i cant remember what got me hooked, but once i got a tast... I WAS HOOKED. i got my first and only beetle (74 super) when i was 13 years old, my father traded a set of orginal 16" porsche fuchs for it from a friend (yes it did run and drive, we drove it 50 miles home lol)
To tell you guys the truth, i have NEVER driven my beetle more than around the block a few times, im 17 now but cant wait to get this beast on the road!!! even without driving a VW im still adicted to them . I do know i was first atracted to the resto-cal look and cali-look. but once i got researching supers i found some pics of GL cars and was like, damn! gotta have it... gotta have it :P
I also own a 87 Audi 4000 CS Quattro (Might i add this is my daily driver/Snow car.. and its a beast in the snow)
Old November 22nd 2003, 05:18

MY dad had VW's for a long time In fact he gave me my 1303S yes a sports bug he had know clue it was a sportsbug but I figured it out now lots of $$$$$$$$ later it will be road worthy again very soon!!! YOU JUST CAN'T LOVE THAT FRONT END?
Old November 26th 2003, 05:21

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

I wonder what the reason for so little replies could be?

Come on there has to be more people out there that have a story to tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some one?

ANY ONE?...Give us your story if you are not bashfull!

John
VolkSport Kfer Gruppe
www.VolkSport.net
Old January 7th 2004, 02:04

I got started when I was 13 (1993). My parents bought a bug, but sold it a year later because they needed the room in the driveway. I was armed with an old spiral bound Idiot's Guide, and a few boxes of extra parts. I replaced fenders and the decklid, and did a little bodywork. In 2002 I bought my '70 T1
from a freind for $500 and a holley 750 4bbl rebuild. It was cal looked and I think cal look is pretty hoopty, with the lack of front wheel traction and all. I first fixed everything, and then started to modify.... And here I am. My heads just arrived today after 4 MONTHS of my car being on jack stands, I forgot wat it's like to drive it. It should be running in the next few weeks.
Old January 7th 2004, 11:16

- 2001 VW Trends article showcasing the German Look.
- My neighbor replacing the 15" Rivieras with 17" Rotas on his 1303.

What keeps you going?
- The fact that someone showcasing his 1302 at the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama put up a sandwich board titled "What is a 1302?".
- The Cal Look crowd.

- That someday, I will show up at the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama with a sandwich board titled "What is German Look?".
- Did someone say 944 brakes?