GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 15th 2005, 15:55

IRS Wide 5 Disc Brake options

IRS Disc Brake options with a wide 5 bolt pattern.

First off, the car this well be going on is a non fender flared Porsche speedster replica with IRS. I'm not a Porsche purist, although I would like to retain the lines of body. The look I'm going for is an old school hot rod. With that said, as of now mocked up with a 1963 bus drum machined to fit a IRS axle, while retaining the stock drum face offset, and using http://www.csp-shop.de 7"x15" Centerlines w/4.375" of back spacing, along with http://www.blindchickenracing.com/ 1.5" Narrowed IRS Trailing arms, and running a 205-50-15 tire, this fits without bastardizing the fenders around the wheel well area. If you haven't noticed I'm a hater of fender flares, they imply after thought to me!

Now for my questions: Out of the Disc brake companies that are out their, is their one that I'm missing or over looked that makes a set of brakes with the following spec's? Wide 5 bolt pattern, Stock offset or at least within a 0.125", Forged aluminum hub with machine finish, Steel spline section and Emergency brake hook up?

This list of observations and opinions are sarcastic. So understand, I don't like the taste of my own foot, but I've put it in my mouth on occasion. As with opinions.., their just that.

www.cncbrakes.com Series 664 looked aesthetically the best, and they claimed that their 7075 all aluminum hub would withstand the rigors of daily abuse without stripping the splines. But the down side was they had to much offset from stock. (* With Aluminum Calipers, this brake and Tatums are neck and neck for the lightest set ups).
www.nealpedals.com 66-538D Offset to much. On the plus side, it had an emergency brake.
www.tatums.com Brake Kit #104 appealed for a couple of reasons. The vented hub, very light and they also claimed that their 7075 all aluminum hubs had been on their 400hp sand dragster for three seasons with no spline problems, in addition these guys made these brakes with the look in mind.., but the down side they had +0.7" offset from stock, and no Emergency brake provision. This would have been a contender. (*)
www.cbperformance.com CB's Rear Wide5 disc brakes. Well..., they got most of it right. Structurally, I know the cast aluminum hubs with steel splines are just fine for the street, the problem I have comes in that cast aluminum doesn't hold as nice of an aesthetic pleasing finish that forged does. I also have mixed emotions about the look of these. The convex surface, reminds me of hip-hugger jeans on a fat chick, "Muffin top syndrome". They don't have the nostalgic look I'm looking for either, but they well fit.
jamarperformance.com # DBB204BB Unfortunately they only have off-road stuff. Offset to much.
www.gear-one.com G1-2400 Unfortunately they only have off-road stuff too, and offset to much as well.
www.csp-shop.de # 599 168 5205S, of these brakes, CSP's would have been my choice, had it not been for that after thought in the 6 bolts in the middle of a 5 bolt hub. Talk about ruining a nice effort, they got the finish, offset and spline section right. Man' you can read between the lines on this one..., Their management got a great deal on 6 bolt discs and told the machinist to make then fit. If at all possible, I'd like what shows not to scream after thought!

If this is the complete list..., I know buying a set of brakes that's a shelf item would be far cheaper than having a set made. So would you guys/gals post some pics of the rear wheel assemblies or your rigs with hub caps off if running stock wheels, and wheels off all together if not. Seeing the drums helps make anybodies mind up that's close to spending the money and this will help to make my mind up as to buying CB's bubble drums or the after thoughts.

If you've done this conversion, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, David
Old December 18th 2005, 10:47

http://www.airkewld.com/parts/products.php?id=27
They make the "bad brakes" , nice looking but not cheap
Old December 18th 2005, 13:56

Lightbulb You missed one!

You forgot about www.socalautoparts.com. They carry several wide five brake kits. The kits are made by AC Industries.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old December 20th 2005, 11:58

Steel is prurrrty to some, just not me. In my searching the net for Aluminum wide 5 disc brakes I was able to source the afore mention vendors, and a correction to tatums site, it's www.tatummotorsports.com , sorry about that. While I'm on the subject, Tatum's disc set up "T104" is really the one that I want, problem is it's outset about 0.7" per side, as for not having a emergency brake provision, I don't really consider this a problem. I'm sure I can fab a carrier and hang a mechanical dirt track or old motor cycle caliper out their.

Anyway, have a look at my clearance issues. I felt a drawing was worth more than words as to getting things to fit. If you guys have numbers on the distances of your brakes in relationship to what I have drawn, I'd be interested..., Ok all of us would be.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...26076638mNRFBR
Old December 30th 2005, 16:02

Hey guy's, I redrew the picture of the rear end assembly and made it into four different pictures and korrected the spilling heirs.
With respects to those of you that have the CB brakes..., is what I've drawn, a fare representation of your set up.

Still waiting on those pics of your rear brake assemblies as well.

Anyway, I'll talk at you next year, and have a safe one.

David

http://community.webshots.com/album/526070220fpJhrZ
Old January 24th 2006, 14:18

Porsche Drums on VW IRS Axles

Found your IRS drawings interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I will be doing a 911/01 5 speed installation in a Porsche 356 sometime this
year. I am using early 944 steel bananas and stub axle assemblies which are
out of the VW parts bin. I checked with Gary Osborne (Parts Obsolete) who
has probably done more 356 outlaws than anyone else. He confirms that the
944/VW stub axle diameter and splines match up to the 356 drums. The
backing plate should be a bolt-in. He suggests that spacer may be necessary
to get the drum in the proper transverse position.

The most common cause of damage to the splines on 356 drums is insufficient
torque on the axle nut--over 230 ft. lbs. if I remember correctly. Too many
guys have relied on their impact driver and neglected to check with the
torque wrench.