GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 21st 2003, 04:42

Converting from Fuchs to Boxter 17" wheels

Hi all, I need some technical expertise....

I'm currently running 15x6" and 15x7" porsche fuchs on my '65 bug, but want to convert to porsche boxter 17" wheels or 911 turbo twist style wheels.

I don't want to widen the guards.

The front suspension is unfortunantly link pin. The rear suspension is swing axel with the early short spline.

I've got a set of cb (drum) dropped spindles, adjusters and an aftermarket disc brake conversion that at present results in the 6" wide fuchs being exposed by about 1", but I'm making a 3" narrowed beam to fix this problem. The rear brakes are type 3 drum brakes.

What are my options?

Can I bolt on a set of boxter wheels provided I use some spacers, or is my wheel track already too wide for this?

Do I have to convert to a 944 braking system first?

Is my case a complete loss, and I need to update my suspension to ball joint/irs?

Any input would be appreciated....

Cheers,

Ian.
Old August 24th 2003, 06:37

Thumbs up FUCH to Boxter wheels

Hi Ian ! It all depends on your current offset. I am running 16x7 and 16x9 Porsche fuchs. The offset is 23 front and 15 rear . I do have a narrowed front beam (2 inches) and a narrowed rear (23mm per side ) with 2 inch wider rear guards. If you are converting from your fuchs you need to find out your offset ,its stamped on the inside of your wheels. Then visit the wheel offset calculator on the net and plug in your boxter dimensions and it will calculate how much your wheel moves in and out for different sized wheels. Have a look in the first post in this section from me to get the website and it should help. Good luck.
David

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!