GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 16th 2004, 16:33

Who has the largest Offset? yea its for a bus

I have a 77 bus, I know most people are beetle owners, but I know some are gearheads who know their busses. I need to know who has the largest offset, so itll be easier for modification for rim fitment. If porches or audi's are closer than Mercedes, I may opt to them. Should I lower the bus first (itll be adjustable). Whats teh widest you would use, 7" or more or 6.5" eww. And I think 17" will work without tubbing the wheel wells. Thanks for any advise, Ive been looking everywhere.
Old September 2nd 2004, 09:28

I have 8x16J 993 rims at the back and they have an ET of 70. Its a 'winter wheel' rim. Normally they come in 7 and 9J x 16..
ET70 is the most ET I have come across.

Good luck on your choise.
Walter
Old September 2nd 2004, 18:57

Go over to FRANKLINS He knows just about all there is to know when it comes to buses.

Rob.
Old September 3rd 2004, 09:46

928 rims

Porsche 928 rims were the answer I found. I had 944 disks fitted to my splittie and so that i could lower the front and have decent suspension travel I fitted 928 flat disk style wheels in 16x7J all round. At the back I have to use a 10mm spacer to move the 205x55 tyres out from the springplate bolts. Up front I am running bay window ball joint arms machined to fit a splittie beam and so fitted a heavy duty bay window anti roll bar and to clear this with my 195x45 tyres I have used a 5mm spacer but I still get slight tyre rub on teh anti roll bar on full lock. I also managed to get myself a set of 16" 928 teledials which also have 65mm offset in the 7J width.

Most 17" mercedes wheels I have seen dont seem to have offsets bigger than 37mm, but then if you do go teh porshce route you'll either need to run adapters which will knock 20mm off the offset of teh wheels or get some custom drilled bay disks (I would love to know if these exist) and drums or you'll need to get Porsche disks.