GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old February 19th 2007, 20:18

Carbon Fiber fabrication

Ok, I've used vacuum forming with fiberglass, but is it the same concept as with carbon fiber? Also, carbon fiber is damn expensive, how many layers of carbon would I need for say a hood of a super beetle? Would 5.7 oz. carbon be sufficient? One last question, since carbon fiber is indeed so expensive, do yall end up testing the gel coat by making a fiber glass part before the carbon is laid? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks~
Old April 27th 2007, 07:19

I used the lightest weight carbon I could with 1 layer of fiberglass in the middle, not vacuum formed to make dashboards, engine bay firewalls and heat shielding. The sheet of carbon that I made was made on a sheet of glass.

I used a 3" cut hole saw to cut a hole for the air intake in the firewall. This created a cool 3" disc that could be used as a drink coaster, and a conversation piece for people too. I'd dare anyone to try and break it using only their hands, and they couldnt!

If your vacuum bagging you could use 2 layers of glass and 3 layers of thin carbon for a near bullet proof result. The idea is to use glass chop as a means of providing more surface area for the resin to adhere to, and bond the carbon material too.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ian