GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th 2012, 00:34

Joy... of Building and Driving

So I've gone and got myself a new project car. Not my first choice in year, I was looking for a 75 super, but this was a rescue as much as a purchase. A few weeks ago an older couple came by our BLTN VW club meet looking for a buyer for their 71 super beetle. I jokingly said yes but after giving the bug a quick once over and getting some history I arranged a purchase. Turns out if they couldn't find a buyer, they were going to sell it to the state, to a program that crushes gross polluters and pays up to $1000 for old cars. Glad I happened to be at the right place at the right time.

The older couple were the original owners, and the bug is damn near rust free and looks great in the usual suspect areas. In 41 years, it's never left California, or the SF Bay area, and hasn't had any accidents. It's on it's 3rd engine rebuild and 2nd tranny, and I have all service records going back to 1981. The fenders are a little dinged up from street parking in SF and Oakland but not too terribly.

I've decided to call her Joy, because I can't stop smiling behind the wheel, and that's what this hobby is all about. All the shocks are blown, the springs are tired she's floaty as hell and a sketchy drive at highway speed, but the front ball joints are in surprisingly good condition. I let a couple of friends test drive her as stock, and neither one of them could stop laughing or smiling.

I've already started the modding process, small but it's a start. I replaced the rear view mirror and the visor clips because they had just dry rotted. I also replaced the stock shifter with an empi hurst-style for the time being. I love those shifters and have one in the race bug too.

Future:
I'm not sure how extreme I want to build this bug since it's in such good shape. I'm definitely thinking sti power though and just bought the subamount through a group buy.

Suspension will be mendeola rears with a stiffy brace, and the front will be either mendeola double a-arm or race bug hand-me-downs toned down for street use.

Hubs and brakes will be setup for 4x100 and I'm going to piece together a complete wilwood brake setup with 4-pots, 11.75" rotors, aluminum rotor hats and possibly their pedal assembly.

Wheels will be 15x7 or 15x8 to lower the cost of tires, and I plan on running aggressive street rubber or r-comps.

Interior will be minimalist but funtional, racing style buckets, rear seat delete, classic nardi 3 spoke wheel, black head liner (not sure about vinyl or black tweed), simple 911 rs door pulls and probably a hidden stereo.

Exterior color is still undecided. In the running is Ford Grabber Blue (M7210), Porsche Signal Green (2D8), Porsche Orange (8C6), and lastly a Herbie tribute gone german look VW Pearl White (L87) with Herbie stripes and decals. The only reason Herbie tribute is in there is I can't shake the idea of Herbie goes drifting, or Herbie goes to the track and stomps some new cars in style. All colors with get matte black bumpers and trim with a paint matched kamei spoiler.

My list is still coming together but as I find parts and suppliers I'll be adding them here so other folks can do the same. Once I get the brake system sorted out, if there's any interest I might throw some kits together for sale, or post the details so you can build it yourself.