GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old August 10th 2010, 22:18

Indecision, please help me! 901 swap

Hello all, this is one of my first posts, heck maybe my first, but I really need someone to push me one way or another.

My situation:

Have located a low mileage(34k), late (71') 901 transaxle. The seller is legit, and I trust him because I bought my t4 from him for a great price. I like this idea because my motor came with porsche 215mm flywheel and clutch which slips right into the 901. I also really want to be able to autocross and be able to cruise at highway speeds for extended periods of time. He also has many, if not all of the conversion pieces to stick it in a bug. This includes bug@5speed nosecone, front mount, rear mount, modified shift fork, and bowden cable plate. He is asking $1000 for everything, I think I could talk him down a hundred or so...

My concerns:

Shifter--- I need to locate either a 911 shifter and base plate with the dog leg 1st gear or buy the bug@5speed shifter. I have heard the std. porsche shifters are kinda weak, have a long throw, and just don't shift all that great due to the dog leg. Will I have problems locating one and how much should I look to spend on one? I like the bug5speed shifter, but they are pricey at about 500 bucks! Does the bug5speed shifter still use the dogleg 1st? With the bug5speed shifter, can I use the stock bug shift rod, or does it still need to be bent and lengthened.

Cost--- With all the pieces listed, and assuming the trans needs little to no rebuilding, how much am I looking at spending to get the 901 in my bug and working? I plan on doing most or all of the work myself.

My alternatives are either having my late S Beetle trans (74') rebuilt or going to Rancho and having them build me a sweet 4 speed. I was quoted locally about 1500-2000 to get the rebuilt trans. On Rancho's website they list their street trans for about 700; is this really how cheap they run? I figure I would need welded 3 and 4, a 3.88 or even 3.44 diff, hd side cover, and more, which would run me well over a thousand dollars.

Anyway, I know this is a long post, but I am overwhelmed with all the varying opinions and overflow of information. Raby says no need for 5 speeds, others love the 901, and others say go Rancho or aftermarket.

Thanks everyone for your help! This website has given me tons of information and I love looking at everyone's GL to give me inspiration for my own bug! Being my first post, I'll throw up a pic of my 74' S beetle. Don't mind the racing stripe... the previous owner was not the most tasteful of builders.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG] 26474_1349931581205_1018800078_1823618_6312280_n by zacharylorin, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old August 11th 2010, 09:08

Bugged,

Yes, our shifter is designed to work with the 901 dog leg box..

Here is a link to an older thread.. at work so can't check to make sure my old video is still up.. but Martin goes through the first few gears..
http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8954

From you sig name, can't recall if you emailed me.. But if you haven't email me, as I have a ppt, that answers your second question.. but the short answer is yes you use the bug shifter, which is supported upfront by the shifter housing on a bushing.. at the back end, you have a few options such as cut and use the back end of a porsche shift rod. This is splined and will mate to a porsche coupler.. which attaches to the box..

Shifter is approx $420 US at current exchange rate.. lot of good feedback from the european market from both beetle and porsche owners.

VR
Alex

Enjoy,
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old August 11th 2010, 21:42

Alex,

Thanks for the quick response and that price is definitely reasonable considering what you get. I read through that thread with your video as well as your detailed installation thread as well, a couple times...

Is the 5th gear in a 901 box taller than the 4th OD gear in a stock bug tranny? Do I really need the closeness of the gears given in a 5 speed when I have the added torque of my t4?
Old August 12th 2010, 09:47

Bugged,

To properly answer that we would need additional info on the 901 box you have, this can be found on the bottom rib of the box (usually, if it has not bee scraped off), then we can make a better assessment on what gears and r/p the box you have is running.. assuming unchanged and compare it to the beetle box..
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old August 14th 2010, 21:22

I'm going down to pick the 901 tranny on Monday. Apparently the seller is friends with Jerry Seinfeld's agent in buying and selling Porsche's for his collection, Sam Cabiglio, and that is how he located this trans. It is described as a low mileage 71' 901; it still had the factory coating of cosmoline on it and not much road
grime, usually evidence of low use. He also has bug@5speed nose cone, front mount, rear mount, shifter fork adapted to a push type, bowden brakets, and also the new flanges... He said he has new cv's as well he will give me!! Overall, I dont think I could build up a late model type 1 trans for the amount I am getting this for... All I need to do is locate a porsche shift rod from a Porsche recycler and get a shifter. There is a great recycler in Arizona so I shouldn't have trouble finding a shift rod. I am still debating shifter directions, between the Bug@5speed one or the Bugtech shifter... maybe you could sway me Also if someone else could maybe chime in with their opinion on Porsche shifters because Alex I already know which one you are going to tell me to get! haha

I'm really excited now, still a bit nervous I am getting in over my head, but I think I am making the right decision. If all turns out right, I'll have a badass Porsche set up in my little bug!! Can't beat that!

Last edited by Bugged; October 31st 2010 at 16:01.
Old August 29th 2010, 07:15
Administrator

Here is another option for a shifter that will work with the 901 box in a type 1.
http://bug-tech.de/index.php?page=sh...emid=8&lang=en
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 19th 2010, 19:54

The PO did a T4 and 901 transaxle swap on my Bug and used a shifter from a 914 (I think) and I can tell you it's the sloppyest shifter I've ever used. Overall, the PO did a real hack job of a conversion so it might not all be the shifter's fault but if 914 or 901 shifters are anything like the one in my car, you will not be happy at all. I'm in the process of tearing down the car now but once I start rebuilding her, I will definitely be going with one of the aftermarket shifters.

Last edited by B-rock; September 19th 2010 at 23:36.
Old September 20th 2010, 02:03

thanks, B rock. I think i'm probably going with the bug5speed because it has the shift rod bushing incorporated into the shifter itself. That would be one less thing I have to cut and weld up. What is the PO? Sorry if its obvious.
Old September 20th 2010, 13:05

PO - Previous Owner. Btw, that's a nice lookin' Super Beetle you have there. I'm kinda diggin' the racing stripes which I don't recall ever seeing on a Beetle.
Old September 20th 2010, 13:57

Thanks again B-rock! Yeah, those stripes look pretty nice in those pictures, but to be completely honest, the POS PO <---, well he did a pretty terrible job painting them. He is a house painter and he masked the car horribly before painting. The paint is good from far but far from good.... I'm actually getting ready to make a build thread here. This weekend I got some friends over to help me lift the body off the pan. Now I need to cut the rusted pans out and get the new ones in.... then its time to start cramming these two naughty girls in....

My 2366 T-4:

Same motor with my 911 transmission:

Last edited by Bugged; October 31st 2010 at 16:31.