GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 13th 2003, 09:35

944 axle interchange???

I need a little education..... I'm trying to figure out a way to get some slightly shorter axles for my GL bus project (1.5" narrowed IRS arms) and the funds are getting scarce so I'm forced to search for bargains.
I read on another forum that axles from 83-85.5 944 are a good replacement for bug IRS (beefier cv's). Shad was the author and maybe he can add input here. It was mentioned that they are a "little" shorter, how much shorter? I've also noticed that 944 auto axles seem to be two different lengths like VW's. Would a couple auto "shortsides" be a good choice? The big question is this... other than a pair of axles, what other parts will I need? different stub axles? different output flanges??
Old August 13th 2003, 12:01

Your kit would have come with custom length axles...
Is the arm mounted to the inside or the outside of the arm?

I think my custom axles are 17.5 inches long, with the arms mounted to the inside.

www.blindchickenracing.com has articles on axle lengths however.

Regards
Paul
Old August 13th 2003, 14:44

Thanks BIGTIME Paul!
I did not know about these folks. Have been waiting months for two other sources to develop their narrowed arms without any luck.
So you have a set of these arms? I don't understand "mounted to the inside or outside of the arm" . I've only ever seen stock arms, what type of option is this and what is it's benefit?
Thanks again. Jeff.
Old August 14th 2003, 23:38

On the topic of rear axles, Using the 86 944t trailing arm, Am I right to say that the axles that have to be replace are from 86 944t or the T2 bus? The output driving flange on the transission are from T2 also or the 181 thing, to fit into the stock irs transmission? And using the 100mm cv joints! Please confirm. Thanks
Old August 16th 2003, 08:52

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBullet
On the topic of rear axles, Using the 86 944t trailing arm, Am I right to say that the axles that have to be replace are from 86 944t or the T2 bus? The output driving flange on the transission are from T2 also or the 181 thing, to fit into the stock irs transmission? And using the 100mm cv joints! Please confirm. Thanks
This may help to explain:

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...6205#post16205

Matt
Old August 17th 2003, 23:18

Thanks MattKab for the info. I am also interested in the Topline "high speed filp-it kit" mentioned in VWTrends. Hope it can clear 16' rims, but I guess it all depends on the offset of the rim. Hopr it really works well.
Old August 20th 2003, 12:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelfantastic
Thanks BIGTIME Paul!
I did not know about these folks. Have been waiting months for two other sources to develop their narrowed arms without any luck.
So you have a set of these arms? I don't understand "mounted to the inside or outside of the arm" . I've only ever seen stock arms, what type of option is this and what is it's benefit?
Thanks again. Jeff.
Hi Jeff, Sorry been away in my bus so haven't had chance to reply.

When I say mounted to the inside or the outside of the arm I am talking about the position of the springplate to the arm.

The arm can be bolted to the outside of the springplate, or to the inside - different IRS conversions do it in different ways. (the place where the 3 bolts are to hold the springplate to the arm)

I don't have a set of these arms, but if you were to have the arms bolted to the inside you would gain around 3/4inch per side I think.

Paul
Old August 20th 2003, 14:19

Thanks Paul. I figured it out once I started researching the arms a little more. I have just ordered a set from Blindchicken but they are custom and he is behind so it may take a month or better. Month or not, I am very excited to have them in the works!!!! Plus it gives me time to collect the axle parts and get everything together.
VKG Bastage child