GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old December 14th 2014, 17:17

3:44 r&p

Hi, does anyone have a 3:44 r&p, or know where I can see and compare a 3:44 and a 3:88. Possibly,I have a friend that may can make a replacement flange, so I can quit dreaming about it. My long term fantasy is to install a 5 speed bug trans to a EZ-30 engine. Using the 5-speed Porsche transmission would be too long installed with the Subaru EZ- 30 engine.

I don't want to use a 4 speed with a taller gear ratio.
Old December 15th 2014, 18:09

what about one of these http://www.subarugears.com/
Old December 16th 2014, 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
what about one of these http://www.subarugears.com/
Hi, well from what I have learned, the Subaru transaxle is not a bolt in trans.
The trans requires a reverse engineered ring and pinion, and thats 1500.00 for just the r&p.
If I could see close up if it's possible the 3:44 bolt pattern and contact area, it may be possible to have my machinist make the unnecessary flange.

Are there any old hot VW magazines showing the two?
Old May 16th 2015, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hi, well from what I have learned, the Subaru transaxle is not a bolt in trans.
The trans requires a reverse engineered ring and pinion, and thats 1500.00 for just the r&p.
If I could see close up if it's possible the 3:44 bolt pattern and contact area, it may be possible to have my machinist make the unnecessary flange.

Are there any old hot VW magazines showing the two?
Good morning, as of yesterday, I received a return e-mail from Rancho Performance. My question was on the 3.44 r&p, I just can't let that dream go. In southern California driving fifty, sixty miles is normal. For me 100 plus miles, without going anywhere other than work is normal. Having said that, I need a 5th gear. I also care about taller gearing, no quarter mile stuff for me, freeway driving, now that's the ticket. Rancho responded and stated that the pinion gear would need a small amount of machining to make it work. Now that made my day. So all I have to do is get some money together. I also want the Berg 5th gear adaption. The way I look at it is, I can get my 5th gear, have the trans maybe two inches forward in the car, and then entertain the ideal of the Subaru EZ-36R. There is something about getting 400 horses and having a winter heating system, without smelling something of an exhaust order, just seem like something I would want.

This pic, is now my dream, look at those side covers. I think that even if I would need to cut some of the axle torsion bar outer covering, and not effect the torsion bar is do-able, ah I think. I have home work to do. I don't see having to alter the frame horns, maybe shorting them some is what I hope. I blew up the picture, and say a company in Las Vegas called RC trans, they are the ones that I will get the side covers from. Lastly if I can get the 915 ratios in a Berg 5 speed, wonderful.