GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 18th 2010, 11:43

Subaru Trans Possibility

I recently learned about the development of a reverse cut ring and pinion gearset for the Subaru 5-speed transaxle - thought the folks on here might be interested?
This will allow the trans to be used in a rear-engine application, like a VW based car or sand rail.
To my knowledge no-one has so far built a trans with the new gearset or run it, or even adapted this trans to a VW chassis - so this is a totally fresh and new approach.
I've been following using the use of this trans in mid-engine applications in 914's and kit cars, but this is cutting edge for rear engine use.

Stub axles have also been developed to allow direct bolt-on of VW CV joints (I believe T2?) and 33 spline axles. Also Bremar sells the bits to convert from 4WD to FWD - also an easy bolt-on solution.

Things remaining are mounts, and shifter connection - but from the variety and innovative work I've seen here that should be a piece of cake.

This seems a natural for a Subaru engine swap - but it's not a stretch to think Kennedy couldn't come up with a "reverse" adapter kit to bolt a VW engine to this trans.

For folks considering a 5-speed swap - this opens up another possibility...

Jeff