GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old February 6th 2007, 12:05

kerscher disks, 944 calipers - am i right?

hello people,

after doing a load of reading, and searching i think i have found the method that would suit me best to fitting 944 disks to my bug.

i have a 68 standard with ball joints and vw disks fitted at the moment to replace the stock drums.

if i get the kerscher disks that fits streight on a vw disk brake stub axel, and early 944 calipers, i should only need to make a bracket to fit between the stub axel and the caliper and spot face the stub axel... is that right?

i dont want to get involved doing a load of machining to use 944 hubs etc.

cheers,
mabbo
Old February 6th 2007, 22:21

Your procedure sounds about right. I have those parts lying around, and I'll check to see how compatible they are. I know that the disk spindle will require more work than the drum spindle. This will only work with stock height spindles, because there physically isn't enough room to put the 944NA calipers onto a dropped spindle (unless the pad overhangs the rotor on the outside diameter, which isn't good for anyone).

Lanner
Old February 7th 2007, 11:22

thanks for the reply lanner,
i have some stock height drum spindles so i could use those
if you could reply when you find out how compatible they are, that would be GREAT.
thanks again,
mabbo
Old February 10th 2007, 16:03

Just as a thought, then, why don't you buy some shiny new 4pot calipers like wilwoods and make adaptors for them? They don't cost *much* more than recon 944 calipers and are beautifully made.
This is a continual source of frustration for me. In the Uk all the development of brake kits is going into vans, and yet all we really need is for someone to develop a proper bug brake hub, fit 944 discs (cheaper than kerschers by a mile) and then an adaptor for wilwoods.
Maybe there's lots of people like me with lots of notes on it but no time to do it....
Old September 5th 2007, 11:32

hey,

did you ever measure the two up laner? no worries if not.

thanks,
mabbo
Old September 12th 2007, 02:26

Sorry to jump in here, so you can not use 944 na on any drop spindle? Thanks JR
Old October 8th 2007, 22:37

I did measure up the Kercher disk/ 944NA caliper combo. Not good. The 944 pad is too large for the rotor. The 944 pad is about 51mm tall, while the barking surface on the kercher rotor is only 45mm. The 944 pad would overhang the rotor. it's not a good combination to put together.

As for the 944NA setup on a dropped spindle..it works with a LP spindle, but the BJ spindle requires alot of clearancing to make the caliper fit in the conventional position (under the steering arm). I'm going to retry the setup, and see if I can get the caliper to fit above the steering arm without too much spindle clearancing. I'll keep you guys posted. One side effect of the 'top' position will be a significant offset chance, but combined with modern offset Porsche wheels this may be a good thing. Also, in the 'top' position, you may have to remove the caliper from the mount in order to bleed correctly.....

Lanner
Old October 12th 2007, 17:38

hey
cheers for the reply lanner.
thats a bugger, i was hoping that would work, as i really want vented disks with a good caliper and keeping stock vw 4 stud to use my 15" wheels.
i notice on the "Which Porsche brake upgrade should I do ? Hmmm" how to, it says a 944 turbo 4 piston caliper can be used with the kerscher style disk. i guess i would need to run 16" wheels to fit this caliper?
hmm... bugger! any other calipers i might be able to use with this disk?
thanks
mabbo
Old January 4th 2008, 20:44

Hey guys - i am in a similar position - i have some 964 c2 calipers which appear very similar to the 944 T calipers. I was looking at the kerscher disc, and i wanted to find out the diameter and width of this disc to compare it to the 298mm by 28mm 964 disc!

i was hoping to use the kerscher disc with a stock ball joint drum spindles also