GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 2nd 2005, 05:55

fitting 996 discs

I have searched and found conflicting answers to my question...

Will 996 discs bolt straight up to a 944 N/A trailing arm?

There was some mention of using a spacer but I can't afford any increase in track.

I was initially going to make the caliper adapter myself but MBT sell a steel one to go with what looks like a 996 disc. Initially I was going to use a 944T disc as it is the same diameter/thickness as the 996 one but I don't know if the bell depth is the same which would mean the MBT caliper adapter wouldn't fit.

For the front I will be using a 996 disc, either on MBT hubs and caliper adapters or with turned down aftermarket beetle discs turned into hubs and narrowed to maintain the stock track and my own caliper adapters.

Cheers,
Rich
Old June 2nd 2005, 18:30

cool idea with the front hubs

like the thinking there ...

also do you know if the rear radial mounted calipers have the same hole spacing as the fronts ..

as i need a set of caliper adaptors to mount my big reds to the front of my beetle and cant seem to find a supplier of the mount only ..

Does mbt seee if individual like???

cheers chris

the rear discs i am using are from a 928gts and have a 964 part number ...these are the same size as the 944 ones fitted to my other brembo braked beetle...is the 996 brakes the same as 964???

it is so hard to find the right item to stop the increase in track all the time...

sorry that does not help at all does it...

ill shut up now chris
Old June 3rd 2005, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer.chris
like the thinking there ...
Does mbt seee if individual like???
Not sure what you mean there!

I think the 86 turbo rear disc is the same as the 928, no idea if that is the same again as the 964 but it wouldn't surprise me. www.eurocarparts.com web site is not bad for that sort of info as it lists fitment by the part numbers.

I don't know off the top of my head if the caliper bolt spacing is the same for the calipers, I guess you can measure yours!

For the front hub I measured a friends aftermarket discs and the thread depth was about 15.5mm. If I reduce this down to 10mm by taking material off the front face, which should be more than sufficient for strength, and use press in studs from the back, the additional thickness of the slip over 996 disc should bring everything back to the stock track width.

I suppose I will probably end up buying the parts from my local GSF, I should be able to return them if they don't fit...

Rich
Old June 3rd 2005, 18:44

I'll be peeling off the masking tape this week end and can take measurements. I know for sure that the discs off the pre ABS 951/928 are the same as the '86 turbo that had steel ams and a 21.5mm spacer. These are the two rear set-ups I bought and the discs are indeed the same.

Matt
Old June 4th 2005, 04:23

Hello Rich,
I have the 944 steel trailing arms (complete with their hubs, axles etc) I mounted on them the 993 turbo discs (dont know their exact difference with the 996 ones) and the only problem was the offset of the bells. In my case I had to machine down on a lathe the inner part of the hub at about 5-6 mm so as the inner part of the disc to fit perfectly above the hand brake brake shoes. After this I had to use a spacer on the outside of the hub to help me keep it tight before the axle nut hits the channeled section. Probably this was the spacer which was mentioned, so in total you gain no added offset for your wheels.
Sorry if I didn;t catch exactly what you ment

JIMP
Old June 5th 2005, 12:32

Well, I have more information now... Mike Ghia tried fitted a 996 disc to a steel 944 arm but the bell is too deep which means the disc can't push on far enough as it hits the caliper bracket before meeting the hub face. It is about 5mm. TO fit a 996 disc would mean fitting a spacer of about 5mm under the disc which would widen the track an additional 5mm.

He tried a 993 disc but the bell was too short by about 5mm (the h/brake pads were still visible), the hub could be milled down at the back and a spacer used under the castle nut, the advantage being that you could reduce the track increase of the conversion by about 5mm but I don't know about clearance of the centre cap.

Finally, the 86 turbo/928 disc should bolt straight on.

So, I am undecided about 993 or 928 now, I'll trial fit my wheels to the drums and try to estimate if I need the reduce the track at all to neatly fit everything under stock wings and if I do I'll go 993, f not, 928!

Thanks for all the input guys, nice to have some definitive answers!

Rich