GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 14th 2008, 22:57

so to fit a 944 s2/turbo front spindle can I just.....

1. use a stock s2 strut but with one of them tapered inthe middle springs

2. use the stock top, and drill my strut tops 4 bolts, instead of 3 - whilst i have the tops off, fitting the new springs for reference.

3. fit a kerscher ball joint to a 3 bolt lower control arm, and fit the spindle - do the lower arms differ 2/3

4. will i have to fit the steering rod end the other way up? do i 'just' re-cut the taper, and use a fatter tapered rod end

5. just got some miglia cup 2's - thinking i need the small offset/et -15 on a 7.5, can i then use the 7j et55 i have,

6. can i fit the 185 17 inch tyres of a vauhall vx220 on a 7j

7.most importantly, will the camber be out,.
Old June 24th 2009, 07:58

did you try this out i have the same questions as i got the complete front end from 944 ...
also i have the 15 et cup 2's you want can trade for your 55 et ones!!
Old June 24th 2009, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantswagen View Post
1. use a stock s2 strut but with one of them tapered inthe middle springs

2. use the stock top, and drill my strut tops 4 bolts, instead of 3 - whilst i have the tops off, fitting the new springs for reference.

3. fit a kerscher ball joint to a 3 bolt lower control arm, and fit the spindle - do the lower arms differ 2/3

4. will i have to fit the steering rod end the other way up? do i 'just' re-cut the taper, and use a fatter tapered rod end

5. just got some miglia cup 2's - thinking i need the small offset/et -15 on a 7.5, can i then use the 7j et55 i have,

6. can i fit the 185 17 inch tyres of a vauhall vx220 on a 7j

7.most importantly, will the camber be out,.
Pants, I assume you are fitting the struts to a 1303? If so:

1) The standard strut will fit comfortably but if you need tapered springs for the offset then fit them.

2) You can use either 4 or 3 stud tops. I used the 4 stud top as I concluded that the rubber would give a stiffer damping. You will need to drill two more holes and the alignment isn't quite perfect.

3) I thought the Kersher ball joint was for the two bolt strut i.e. it mates up to the 944 strut? I don't like press in ball joints so I fabricated a new TCA (it is easy to do) and used the 944 standard bottom bolt on ball joint that makes future maintenance easy (no 10T press required)

4) The steering track rod will have to be reversed to enter from the top. You cannot cut a new taper in the steering arm. You have to machine a bush with an internal taper 14mm 4* one IIRC. Alternatively, I concluded that (after fitting the new bush) that the better and simpler way was to bore the steering arm hole to 14mm and fit a 14mm rod end (heim joint). The track rod will have to be extended to suit the Porsche steering arm (~40-50mm)

5) I'll pass on wheel fitment

6) What's the full tyre size I can't find any 185/?x17s at all. The tyre is likely to be <55% profile so that the overall diameter is very small and will require the speedo to be recalibrated. The 7J rim width ought to be OK

7) The camber adjustment will be available on the inner pivot of the TCA AND the strut itself. I dropped the inner pivot by 25mm and fabricated my own TCAs to the original centres and found I had 1 1/2* neg camber at max settings - ideal. However, when I fabricate the compression strut arrangement I will start with a longer TCA to allow me to set 1 1/2*-2* neg camber within the mid range.

One last thing. Do you have the early 944 stub axle as it is already drilled for the speedo cable?

Clive