GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 28th 2011, 01:19

To Subaru, or not to Subaru?

I'm contemplating ditching the type IV idea altogether as I have a line on a cheap complete Subaru to cannibalize for my bus project. Problem is I'm wrestling with the notion of putting a water Pumper (nevermind that its Japanese) in my splitty. I hear they get great mileage in lighter bugs. Ive also heard that in order to use the subaru trans you have to buy custom reverse cut gears for the diff which looks like lots of extra $$ in the end.Would it be worth all of the extra effort of adding a radiator and coolant lines etc? My other thought is to stay air cooled and find a 911 to shoehorn in there.

www.garagejunkieapparel.com
Old December 28th 2011, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce View Post
I'm contemplating ditching the type IV idea altogether as I have a line on a cheap complete Subaru to cannibalize for my bus project. Problem is I'm wrestling with the notion of putting a water Pumper (nevermind that its Japanese) in my splitty. I hear they get great mileage in lighter bugs. Ive also heard that in order to use the subaru trans you have to buy custom reverse cut gears for the diff which looks like lots of extra $$ in the end.Would it be worth all of the extra effort of adding a radiator and coolant lines etc? My other thought is to stay air cooled and find a 911 to shoehorn in there.
Hi, where are you located? I bought a bare SVX and the many components for build up. Are you in the USA?
Old December 28th 2011, 18:48

I'd stick with a 911 engine but that's just me. You can never get the low end torque a 6 puts out from a 4 cylinder.

Last edited by Jadewombat; December 28th 2011 at 19:37.
Old December 28th 2011, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
I'd stick with a 911 engine but that's just me. You can never get the low end torque a 6 puts out from a 4 cylinder.
Yes you can install a 911 into a bus, lucky guy. I bought a 2.7 short block to do some length comparsion, the 911 just won't go into a 1303 without a custom tube cradle.
Old December 29th 2011, 00:38

I was contemplating doing a type IV, but am going with a 2.5T Suby. The engine design is solid with 5 main bearings, heads that don't leak oil or water and are good for 400HP on stock internals. An EJ255 with EJ22 (turbo or n/a ) heads will fit in a beetle engine compartment without hacking it up. Power to price ratio is hard to beat and with the constant JDM market of engines and transmissions made it an easy choice for me. The transmissions also are a great deal with the only big ticket item being the reversed ring and pinion. JDM 5 speed Suby transmissions (TY754/TY755) can be had for as low as $265. Hi-Po Type IV and Porsche prices were the big turn off for me.
Old December 29th 2011, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56SemaRag View Post
I was contemplating doing a type IV, but am going with a 2.5T Suby. The engine design is solid with 5 main bearings, heads that don't leak oil or water and are good for 400HP on stock internals. An EJ255 with EJ22 (turbo or n/a ) heads will fit in a beetle engine compartment without hacking it up. Power to price ratio is hard to beat and with the constant JDM market of engines and transmissions made it an easy choice for me. The transmissions also are a great deal with the only big ticket item being the reversed ring and pinion. JDM 5 speed Suby transmissions (TY754/TY755) can be had for as low as $265. Hi-Po Type IV and Porsche prices were the big turn off for me.
Yeah it can relly pis you off. It seem as though everybody that wants to bring something to market. there is a high sticker tag on it. Instead of selling to more because of a lower selling price. The seller would like to sell high and basiclly no sell many, I just don't get it. 1500 for a ring and pinion make no sense at all. I have a 915, if I but 1500 into it, it would be a good trans.
Old December 29th 2011, 18:57

Sounds like the subie engine is the way to go, for me..... but then I still Have the trans issue. I'll probably end up with a 901 or a bus box. Thanks for the input everyone!

Old December 29th 2011, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hi, where are you located? I bought a bare SVX and the many components for build up. Are you in the USA?

I'm in Arizona.

Old December 29th 2011, 21:18

Maybe I can chime in with my opinion. I'm in the middle of building a '64 karmann ghia with an irs chassis. I decided to go with a Subaru. My biggest push to go Subaru is cost. For far less than a type 4 or type 1, I can have a reliable Subaru. Even with the cost of the radiator, computer, adapter... the cost is far less, but the work is far more. Also I actually started this project about 7 or 8 years ago. Subaru wasn't really as big then, so it was a good challange.

The biggest challenges for putting a Subaru into my Ghia is the waterlines. I'm really close now to having the car running and driving. I am not sure at the moment how well the waterlines/radiator will cool the engine. The radiator placement in the ghia was pretty straight forward. In a bus I would imagine mounting the radiator and water lines would be a tough challange.

I don't regret going Subaru. However, my next project will most likely be an aircooled turbo.

Also, I keep coming back to this saying "Cost, Reliability, Power: You can only pick two"
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old December 30th 2011, 00:26

Svx

Quote:
I'm in Arizona.
The Subie sellers, would you please do me a favor. I would like to know if its worth the drive for a complete SVX engine. Would you please see if there is a complete SVX and it price?
Old December 30th 2011, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
The Subie sellers, would you please do me a favor. I would like to know if its worth the drive for a complete SVX engine. Would you please see if there is a complete SVX and it price?
I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking me to contact someone about an engine for you?

Old December 30th 2011, 21:58

My dream engine was always a big type 4 as well.

I started building up one in 2001 but with the sad shape of the engine after 27 years abuse in a bus and the realization of cost to make a decent engine out of it I gave up too.

The Subi conversion cost me less than a proper rebuild of a type 1 and has given the car a whole new lease of life, I've done more Kms in the few years since the conversion than nearly a decade prior.

If you spend the time doing the conversion right it's a nice easy way to get a fit and forget engine thats powerful, reliable and cheap.

The 3 things they reckon aren't possible to get in one package....
Old December 31st 2011, 05:22

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking me to contact someone about an engine for you?
Well not so much contact for me, but rather if possible find out what would be the price of a conplete SVX engine. Or maybe you could give me a name of a business or company and I'll call?
Old December 31st 2011, 09:59

Quote:
Sounds like the subie engine is the way to go, for me..... but then I still Have the trans issue. I'll probably end up with a 901 or a bus box. Thanks for the input everyone!
Read this, it will solve your gearbox problem.
SUBARU 5-BAK: http://www.subarugears.com/
T2A MET SUBARU : http://www.vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php...040d64482088d5

Paul.

Last edited by fahrvergnugen; December 31st 2011 at 10:05.
Old January 2nd 2012, 18:10

my kit.

I am also using a subaru power plant. I spent a few years going through the process of Type1 w/ T1 trans, Type 4 w/ T1 trans, Corvair with w/ T1 trans trying to avoid moving away from aircooled. But never found the cost, weight, ease of use, quality to compare to the Subaru w/ Porsche 5Spd I will never look back. And honestly it's two water lines a radiator and a fan or two ...my application isn't concourse it's corners and concrete consumption.

2005 STI engine mounted to a Porsche 901 5spd Trans via Kennedy Products.
I've changed output flanges on the trans to run larger 944T axles through 944T trailing arms. I have converted the shifter to the OEM Porsche Shift unit and most recently have procured the parts to convert it to a short shift setup. It's all linked via a customized 901 shift shaft and hardware.

Some things to consider are the year of transplant and the parts required to support the transplant. Anything over 2005 has immobilizers built into the harness. Matched Key, Ignition, ECU, Security Box Etc... are required in order to plug and play the install. unless you are running a mega-squirt setup or alternate off the shelf ECU's.

If you do it, procure a setup that is complete with full uncut harness and ECU as a single package... it will really make your life easier. You will only need to make a few edits to the harness in order to use the stock wires. Consider front cut's if you are shopping and have space. if not you can piece the kit together on your own. www.nasioc.com is a great source for parts and knowledge.

Basic parts needed will be:
Motor
ECU
Harness
Radiator / Fans / Water Tank and Lines
Adapter to trans of choice or the gear to convert the suby trans that you can get with a motor/trans package.

Let me know if there are questions about my setup or a parts list.

Last edited by jmd; January 2nd 2012 at 18:17.