GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old September 15th 2003, 13:27

gauges in glove box

I'm gonna try to keep my dash as clean as possible. I plan on getting some additional gauges however.

I've seen some people put their gauges and radios in the glovebox. I imagine I could just get a sheet of plastic or something to mount them, but I was looking for a more high quality look. Does anyone make fiberglass inserts or something similar for the glove box? Ideally, I would like open it up and have the gauges angled towards me for better monitoring.

Also, what would you guys consider necessary gauges? I was just thinking oil and head temperatures.

Thanks.
Old September 16th 2003, 09:25

gauges are only good if you can read them. i think you will find it a pain to always have your glove box open and the gauges so far away.

as for what gauges, oil temp, oil pressure as a minimum. consider volt/amp, cylinder head temp, and exhaust gas temp depending on how hi po your engine is.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 16th 2003, 10:29

same

I've done same, I did not want to "damage" the dash or my 67standard daily driver with a 2056cc type 4 inside.. so i've installed 3 autometers ( petrol, oil temp & oil presure in glove box speedo as been replaced by a 914 tacho and autometer RPM is at be corner near the door and below the dash on the left side ( near my nee... and it's perfert, dash look's original, when I "sportdrive", I open the glove box.."too keep control" and on normal drive I leave it closed.....

no prob, I agree for instruments in glove box..

david
Old September 17th 2003, 10:31

Quote:
Originally posted by zen
gauges are only good if you can read them. i think you will find it a pain to always have your glove box open and the gauges so far away.
It's not that far away; it's a beetle!

But yeah, if I were looking all the time, that would be a pain and not exactly safe either. I imagine I'll use them like I do on my more 'modern' vw: Hardly ever look unless something feels strange or I hear a funny noise or something.

Question on the oil pressure sender:
My cousin had one in his S-10 that had a crazy engine in it and it had an actual plastic line filled with oil running to the back of the gauge. This isn't the only way to do it, is it? I hope they have electronic versions?

thanks!
Old September 17th 2003, 11:03

Quote:
Originally posted by craigt-from-atl

Question on the oil pressure sender:
My cousin had one in his S-10 that had a crazy engine in it and it had an actual plastic line filled with oil running to the back of the gauge. This isn't the only way to do it, is it? I hope they have electronic versions?

thanks!
Nevermind. I'm looking at autometer's site and see that they have electric versions.
Old September 17th 2003, 12:54

i just bought a Westach dual CHT. super nice instrument and fair priced for the quality. i suggest you compare them during your search for the right gauges. VDO ****pits are always a great standard.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design