GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 15th 2002, 13:16

I understand where you are coming from Jake. Performance should be more important then the looks & im sure that the money spent on the Porsche shroud could be spent adding the extras on the motor (like 8 hours of dyno tuning, mallory distributor, & blueprinting the engine).

Oh well, Ill just have to dream! (About the Porsche Shroud that is) :broken:

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 15th 2002, 13:28

The DTM is how much....500$? What is included?
You get a Porsche shroud for 800$ with generator and blade.
Do you need Porsche parts????NO! To say that the only good fan is the one that uses Porsche parts is wrong. That is why it gets expensive too.

There are kits available that uses a Golf generator which does the job and lowers the cost. Yes...it might be more expensive I also think that most people do care how their engine looks like.
If you spend 10000$ on an engine it better looks good otherwise why would I want to make my car look good and go to shows?
I know that there is still the maching part of the case.

Porsche only used those fans until they used watercooled engines so they cooled 2.0,2.2 and 2.4 ranging from what???? 130-180HP? They were not successful in cooling (overcooling)those?
Maybe it is different because it is a 6 cylinder but I think it is wrong to say they are not needed. It depends on your application. I get the impression that if I get some normal T4 heads with my Nickies and a proper setup enigne I could get away with 2 electric fans on my motor.

The DTM takes HP too. You reported a loss of 8hp and the DTM from 8-11hp. So it is wrong to say the Porsche shroud take HP away and make it sound terrible. Now you could say that you get a bigger loss with other ratios but then I also believe that you either suck more air in.....more cooling...or suck less air in which is less cooling. Am I correct?

We can start this argument all over again.......about all parts like 102 vs 103 2500$ vs 500$ or DTM vs Porsche shrouds or vanagon heads vs normal heads vs poor cooling big Remmele heads.

This is going nowhere. This is just going to start an :arguing: arguementation which will lead into a fight.

Warning:
I do appreciate Jake's input and advice but if you want to talk to him about business please do so via Private Message or Email.
This right is reserved fo those that actually pay a fee to Germanlook.com so we can return something to our members.
You can identify those by the custom title they have.
Otherwise why would anyone pay us money so that we can pay our bill, get stickers and eventually have shirts and more contests.
That does not mean that people can not recommend his service or write an article but it means that the posts can only be to obtain inforamtion and advice.

Alex
Old September 15th 2002, 13:33

Thanks Alex,

Since my opinion is not welcome here, and I won't be paying any money, I will be leaving...

Do what you want, spend your money the way you want, just don't ask me any questions!
Old September 15th 2002, 14:11

I had the same talk to John Connolly about this. It is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to talk business there is PM or email available. This has nothing to do that you are Jake Raby. It is the same for everyone.
I do appreciate you information and advice....but to say that the 911 shroud is bad because it takes HP is wrong after you did the test yourself and the DTM takes the same or even slightly more.
There are so many Porsche shrouds configurations available as well. That has nothing to do with the DTM being better or not.......it is a great product but I do not like the looks of it and looks is important to many of us.

Alex
Old September 15th 2002, 16:57

Thumbs down Sorry, Alex; GermanLook.org just lost the arguement ...

In what would seem like a fraction of "Internet Time", I saw Alex do in THIS forum (might as well change it to AlexLook Forums) what he periodically has done at ShopTalk Forums, hammer a well-known (and EXPERIENCED) engine builder because he SUCCESSFULLY bucked current T-IV trends; you're getting a rep, Alex.

If ANY EXPERIENCED engine builder recommends any viable/dyno-tested alternative/solution (i.e. functional/easier DTM shroud vs. eyecandy/$$$ 911 shroud) around here that doesn't meet the Alex Litmus Test, you're QUICKLY vilified as a "business opportunist" and given a through tongue-lashing (don't think you're "disclaimer" after your last post to Jake Raby/Massive Type IV wasn't intended as just that). THOSE opinions not honored here, thank you very much ...

Of course, Alex's T-IV leanings have always been more warm to "German Way Best." Forget us good ol' American Engine-nuity; heck, what do we know. And to think, I believed this forum was shaping up as a decent replacement for callookforums; I know, stupid me.

Bye.
Old September 15th 2002, 17:14
Administrator

Post Advertising

Quote:
I have orders for 3 shrouds from my maker now, when those are gone I probably won't be doing any more with the 911 fan. we should get started if you want one of these engines.
Lets make one thing CLEAR here. The forums are not for advertising business opportunities.

IF you want someone's business, you can use email or Private Messages......simple rules to follow if you HAVE NOT paid for advertising.

This is not fair to shop owners who have paid good money to advertise here.

Ingnorance of the forum rules is not a defense.....as they have been stated CLEARLY.

Sandeep
Old September 15th 2002, 19:11

I think the main problem is that I'm not German....who gives a damn about that anyway? Obviously Alex does.

I did not come here to advertise, and I have not come here to make people happy, and spoil them with promises of polished aluminum and carbon fiber.(thats what everyone wants, a false sense of correctness)

I'm here to spread the word that looks don't count, and aftermarket stuff is not what is is made up to be. I spent thousands of dollars to be able to prove people, and the general public wrong with their theories and general misconceptions concerning these engines.

Alex, if you doubt what I say, buy a plane ticket, and come watch me dyno the two shrouds in question on my dyno, this is an invitation, as I know the truth. I'm confident in my findings, confident in my knowledge, moreover I know the truth.

I don't advertise, never have and never will till I start to starve to death, which may be tomorrow, but I refuse to be puked on because I don't give money to an organization that could benefit from my support. I have supported the German look trend to this point, as I like new things.

I make my own rules, and won't be following yours. Since this is YOUR foeum I will be leaving.
Old September 15th 2002, 21:59

ok, then.

obviously some history here. that or there was a hell of a lot more read into that message then i read.

i don't know the rules and i am also not in the position to have to care. BUT, i for one welcome varied opinions. so Jake prefers performance over looks. that is what is important to him and he lays it out for everyone to know. no hidden agenda there. i don't necessarily agree with him, but i know where he stands and i can you my own adult intellect to make my own decisions.

funny how quickly some can dismiss people who have differing opinions. he says he has facts to backup his finding and from what i have seen, he posts many of them on his site. again, i can look at those facts and decide the the looks are important enough for me that i want to go with a 911 shroud anyway. or whatever.

i want information and opinions. not one sided ones from hobbyists only (and that is not pointing any fingers at anyone since i don't really know anyone here). let's assume that everyone on here is capable of analytical deduction and come to our own decisions on people's opinions and statements, not censor them because we don't like them or agree with them.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 15th 2002, 22:09

Jake,

I would like that. I even offer to bring my engine with me and we can put that on the dyno too when it is done. My engine will not be ready for another year though. I am serious......I will come if you let me.

Vujade was asking the right questions and you were giving the right answers about future business.
I simply stated a warning and told you guys to use either PMs or email. A default PM is send now to every new member and I even sent an extra PM about this.
It has nothing to do with me being German and you American. If I feel that things are done better here I buy them or get the work done here. As you know I asked you to build my engine over half a year ago. I do not doubt what you say but after talking to Sandeep about shrouds I remembered your post about the little power loss and I recommended you to Sandeep for his engine and I believe he emailed you on this subject.
Yes, I do question things when there is some confusing information out there and I will continue to do that.
Just because I mentioned that some heads are being developed does not mean that I do not look at the US market. I follow it very closely what it has to offer and buy things from there too like the LN Engineering Nickies set.

I do believe that some people benefited and will benefit from the information I provided to the community which btw were slashed when I posted them on the Type 4rum and now it seems that they are great after testing. There are many examples for that too, Rouser.

My warning was about the "we should get started if you want one of these engines." post.

I do feel responsible about those who pay us. I have a very American advertiser on this site which I will protect and his products are awesome and I am very happy that Carbon Joe is with us on this site. This is done on many forums......Go to the CLF.....same story there btw. Dave Conklin just did a post on this. Advertisers help to pay the bills and also provide funding for stickers, shirts and prices for contests. If you do not see that then I am very sorry.
Or shall we have every member donate money? That would be like www.callook.org which does not exists anymore because of the lack of funding.
To give you another example......I had the same conversation with John Connolly. Unfortunately this site will lose a great opportunity for the members if we can not agree on some terms.
It is sad but I have no problems with it and I respect John's position....which ever that might be. He has very valid points.

If this site would only be for Germans it would most likely be in German. What Sandeep and I try to do is the same that James intended it to be. Share information, have tech articles and show you what is available. What you do with that information is up to you. If you want to discuss that with Jake.....well no problem at all. I even help you to get the stuff you need.

My remarks about the shroud are valid I believe and I am not going to repeat them. Read this thread and the other information is on the STF. You just have to read it. I do criticize and question things but I can take it too. Oliver and Eddy know that too. I do not stop at the German border.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes.
I am very sad for every person that leaves this site and I am sorry for that. For those who want their accounts deleted let me know.

Alex
Old September 15th 2002, 23:03

i'm pretty convinced that my german half is where i get my opinionated hard-headedness. LOL. although my mom may disagree with that (she is the german).

so what are the pro's and con's of using a power pully to counteract the potential overcooling of the 911 shroud. i am thinking on a T-1 engine here if that makes a difference. i am debating going with a 911 fan shroud for my T-1 until it dies. then i go TIV. btw, with a 911 shroud for a T1 carry over to a TIV too?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 16th 2002, 04:23
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Post What's that?

It's hard for me, as a German, to understand all bits of the discussion. I like Jake's opinion, as he shows the US side of Type 4 tuning. If we were all the same opinion, why would there be messageboards? We would all use the same parts from the same producers, am I wrong?

My opinion is, even if a Type 4 has a 23% bigger cooling surface, use a Porsche style cooling! I just say that, because of two very important things you all miss, the reason for that is maybe, that you compare the Type 4 with the Type 1.

1.The high copper part of Type 4 heads makes a need for cooling the heads more, because they flex and bend more than any other aircooled head, I know.

2.The exhaust of a Type 4 sits not on the sides, it's on the bottom, where air is hard to find for a good port cooling. Try finding hot spots on your Type 4 with indicator tape, then you know, what I mean!