GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 3rd 2005, 12:08

8.5in front rim on a 1302...

Stuck here....of all things, choosing rims.

This is the look I'm trying to go after:

I know it's GL...but see how it just looks intimidating sitting there...the deep dish rims make it look mean...but you can get the same look with regular non "deep dish" rims, I'm just stuck as to how to achieve it, lol.

So here's what I've broken it down to choice wise.

Phone dials 16":
http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/f8/72/bd_12_b.JPG

Boxter twist 17":
http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/66/22/e4_12_sb.JPG

Porsche Comp 18":
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51...tion_front.jpg
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51...tion_right.jpg

ROH ZS 16"
http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/40/36/aa_1_b.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/3f/cc/db_1_b.JPG
http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/39/19/f1_1_b.JPG

I'm really stuck as to what I want. I really liked that one black super on here with black phone dials, kakarottt's ride But they're only 16. Gonna have a kinda fatty tire on there, but it didn't look bad on the afore mentioned Super....also, they're not staggered rims (wider in back than front)...

Boxter twists and the turbo twists are so similar it's almost (IMO atleast) pointless to pay the extra for the turbo twists. The plus is that thier 17's....

The Porsche Comp. REALLY DIG the look. DEEP dish makes the car look thicker. And it doesn't look like the cheesy cheap BBS wheels you commonly see. Only negative is that they're 18's....I'm planning on widened fenders anyhow, but I'm unsure as to if the weight difference in the wheels compared to a 17 or 16 is negligible with these specific wheels.

The ROH ZS....nice looking, not DEEP, but still nice looking. Only drawback is it's a 16.....again, with the fatty tire....it might look "cheap"....

As far as asthetics go, I think wheels make or break a car....I'm just WAAAAY unsure about which to pick....Also, I want to somewhat be different, straying away fromt he typical Porsche Cups or Twists wheels, but still stay "german look".....what are your opinions?

Last edited by oicdn; July 6th 2005 at 12:43.
Old July 3rd 2005, 14:48

ive been partial to the boxter twists, was seriously concidering these before I went jap import stuff.

But as far as what looks german look well... as long as its >16" in dia I think it's gl. people have different definitions, but in the end I'd go with what you like, not a based on a look.

How far are you? possible go the import route, tons of wheels there just gotta make sure their good, a lot of crap out there. but if you havn't got brakes or your rotors studed for pcd well might be a good alternative.

easy
rip
Old July 3rd 2005, 23:40

Well, I snagged me up some of these:

Porsche Comp 18":

I know I'm definitly going to need spacers. I'm just unsure as to how much to have.

Here's the specs of the wheels:
Size (front) 18x8.5
Size (rear) 18x10
Offset 52MM

My set-up:
87 Porsche 944T calipers and rotor
Machined hub/spindle from VDub (not done yet)
86 944T Rear control arms, hubs, etc.....

I also know I'm going to need widened fenders, which I plan on getting/doing along with the conversion.

Yeah, I know, I know...heavy, large wheels. I'm not worried about speed or power loss right now as the motor is the last thing I'm worried about. I just want to get my handling to TOP shape. But I don't think those wheels are too heavy compared to 17's like Turbo Twists, Boxters, Cups....I just can't see it weighing too much more considering it's not a one piece of forged material....but I could be wrong....

Anybody know what size spacers I'll need? Or what other route can I go without needing spacers? Also, what size tires am I going to need to keep the stock tire height?
Old July 4th 2005, 01:16

Well I love the car shown, but for me I went with 16 in phones because rubber is a fair price still, and I also thought about going black with them, I still might. But right now I think I will keep them silver...JR
Old July 4th 2005, 01:21

well please tell me you don't have a super, as I don't think they will fit well. And when I say well I mean good turning and scrub with a super, that 8.5 up front is the problem.

If you have a standard well they might work, but you will need a huge spacer if you want your turning close to stock. Generally though people get by with a bit larger than stock.

let me know how much the brakes increase the front track and I can plug that into the formulas, and if you will be using dropped spindles.

Let me know and I can give you a better idea. But as is the spacer should be in the range of 2inches. That wide front rim hurts. That will get you to about a 20 ft turning circle (stock is 18). And just to let you know you'll need in the range of a 3 inch wider front fender to fit them. Can't you get a smaller front, the norm is 7 inches and well that still isn't "easy" takes some thought to get them to work, and 8's or even 8.5's will be really hard.

easy
rip
Old July 4th 2005, 01:34

Smile

just some of the info I've gather from the past

Name..............width...........et...........spa cer.......dropped?...........turn...........%..... ......scrub
Lanner...........7.0...........38.0...........12.7 ...........0.25...........19.9...........10.8..... ......21.1
Trevor...........7.0...........23.3...........0.0. ..........0.00...........20.5...........13.9...... .....16.7
Trevor...........7.0...........38.0...........5.0. ..........0.00...........21.9...........21.8...... .....7.0
Chris.............6.0...........50.0...........8.0 ...........0.25...........20.5...........13.7..... ......4.4
Bren..............7.0...........40.0...........0.0 ...........0.25...........22.0...........22.4..... ......6.4
Dasdubber......7.5...........52.0...........20.0.. .........0.25...........21.8...........21.0....... ....14.4
nodose..........7.0...........55.0...........25.4. ..........0.25...........20.5...........13.9...... .....16.8
BWE.............7.0...........43.0...........15.9. ..........0.25...........20.2...........12.1...... .....19.2
Zen..............7.0...........55.0...........38.1 ...........0.25...........18.9...........5.1...... .....29.5
PaulGrey.......7.5...........45.0...........25.4.. .........0.25...........20.0...........11.2....... ....26.8

just to give you an idea of what others have done.

BTW my little "dont sue me" statement, I in no way responcible for the correctness of these replies, understand that each case is unique and that these are not exact. Use the given info at your own risk.

I made a sheet for my own use and don't know if it is correct, but seems right. The specs from above I found searching though this forum, so I'm pretty sure that is all okay, but the turning circle and scrub stuff well thats from the sheet, and will be off.

Last edited by rip; July 4th 2005 at 01:38.
Old July 4th 2005, 02:29

Something 17", 18" is a little too hard to work with up front if you want to get low, or go 17" front 18" rear. 4X100 will give you the best bang for the buck and there are A LOT of really good looking Jap wheels, but those Porsche Comps are as GL as it gets.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 4th 2005, 05:41

Porsche comb
Old July 4th 2005, 09:47
Administrator

Excellent choice of wheels :agree:

On my '74 Standard, I'm running the same wheel size as you with a 235/35/18 and 265/35/18 size tire. The wheel/tire combo is heavy, 47 lbs front and 52lbs rear, but I notice no ill effects in driving. The car handles incredibly well and the contact patch of the front tire makes stopping a breeze. The turning circle is not so great, but I'm set up for street cruising/circuit racing and not autocross so I don't mind.

I could get up to 190 KPH with my old 195/65/15 rear tires (pre GL, T4 motor, stock T1 trans), and with my new setup, could still hit 190 KPH with the 18" wheel/rubber. I'm running a 901 now and 190 KPH is still not a problem. Acceleration is still awesome with the 18 inchers.

I am using 2" widened fenders all around so you don't have to go crazy on the fender widths, and if you use a front bumper on the rear (front bumper is wider than the rear), it will look close to stock from the rear, except for the huge boots under the rear fenders

I'm using a 3" dropped front beam raised all the way and CB dropped spindles. The front wheels (24.5" dia) are close to stock diameter so speedo is fairly accurate, and the wheels tuck nicely under the front fenders.

I wanted the section height of the front and rear tires to be close to the same as nothing looks sillier to me than a small section height front tire and a rear section height that is 2 times the size .... it looks like the wheels belong on 2 different cars.

I hope this information helps you out a bit in choosing your setup.

Sandeep
Old July 4th 2005, 10:16

^^^ That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear Sandeep. Somebody already knows the stuff needed. What spacers did you need in the rear? 2inch wide fenders and that's it? Remember, my rear offset isn't 42(?) like yours, it's 52 just like the front...

I'm not TOO concerned about the turning radius, as I'm like you, not setting it up for autoX but still definitly have some sick handling....and the wide tires make for an awesome contact patch for braking. It's also definitly an intimidating and thick look. Can't wait till they get here. I'll just always be broke buying tires

Yeah, I have a super...no dropped spindles...just stock ones machined for the Turbo 944 brakes. I know now I'll probably DEFINITLY need maxx coil-overs, cause I think a tapered spring or even the CRX conversion will rub.....
Old July 4th 2005, 12:03
Administrator

I'm using an 18x10 ET 47 rear wheel which is close to your ET 52 (5mm). I'm using a hybrid 930/944T rear setup on stock beetle trailing arms which pushes out my rear hub by 23mm, same as the 86 Turbo arms. You'll need a 15mm spacer ... check this thread ... http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...ight=930+rotor

I see you have a Super ... you will need a wider fender than the 2" I beleive to fit that 8.5" front wheel ... may need to increase the size of the rear to match then ?

Sandeep
Old July 4th 2005, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Yeah, I have a super...no dropped spindles...just stock ones machined for the Turbo 944 brakes. I know now I'll probably DEFINITLY need maxx coil-overs, cause I think a tapered spring or even the CRX conversion will rub.....
with the change in struts that should help minimize the need of spacers. Maxx struts let you use a back spacing up to 6", so about a 20mm spacer should work with 2.5 wider fenders.
Old July 4th 2005, 20:38

So a 3" fender should work, right???

Found those here:

http://markvfiberglass.com/catalog/fenders/fenders.html

Anybody have these type of fenders on the beetle so I can see what it looks like?

Where can I get 3" front fenders for a Super?

Thanks for all the help...much appreciated!!!!!
Old July 5th 2005, 15:57

CCC makes the best fenders, but I don't think they are bigger than 2.5"
Old July 5th 2005, 15:58

oh and CCC doesn't make flares