GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old May 15th 2018, 05:51

901 trans

Good morning, does anyone have feedback on where and why the bend in the 901 shifter rod is there for?. I'd like to lower the shifter into the tunnel, in order to get a better straight shot.
Old June 18th 2020, 17:05

I have a 901 setup in my type 1 chassis and needed to add a small step bend in my custom shift rod in order to get the shift linkage aligned correctly. I'm working on getting my build better documented here and will come back to share some pictures of that soon. Suffice it to say it's a S style bend that steps the Rod down - my bend is mid rod and roughly equates to a 1" drop over about 4 inches of length, so subtle. it was the only way I could get the shift functionality to shift smoothly
Old June 18th 2020, 23:31

Hello, when the time comes, I had planned to lower the shifter area approx two inches into the tunnel. Presently I have not worked on the project in a while. I'll need to refresh my thoughts on linkage alignment
Old June 21st 2020, 13:57

I've also sunk my shifter box location, but still needed the bend to get it to shift smoothly. I've built my own trans mount but will need redo it with my new suspension setup. I'm using the original Porsche 901 shifter box and have a NOS shortshift kit that I'll be installing when I get my transmission back from getting all it's upgrades. I'll get pictures of all the parts out of the car before I put them in for reference.
Old June 21st 2020, 19:54

How Far With The 901

Hello, I little history on why I choose the 901. I didn't know that the 901 first gear location/arrangement made for a weakend
gear box. This is what I have heard, however compared to a Berg five speed conversion; cost and mods drove me away. I then started getting parts to build my own freeway flyer transmission. I bought a Rhino case, had it gusseted. I was about to buy the 3.44 ring and pinion , when I learned that the 3.44 r&p would conflict with my Quaife diff. In all of this, all I wanted was a strong transmission capable some burnouts and freeyway mode. Because I have three Super Beetles, I don't see any waste yet, just a lot of BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD. Back to the topic at hand, I forget if I bought the trans from an Pelican parts member or not, from what I see; the transmission is in very good condition. However, since then I moded the nose cone and removed the speedo. So far I made the mounts, strength and low noise. Now I need to start back on it. My pictures are to large to upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200621_155625.jpg (77.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20200621_170142.jpg (75.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20200621_153751.jpg (84.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by effvee; June 21st 2020 at 20:10.
Old June 21st 2020, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd View Post
I've also sunk my shifter box location, but still needed the bend to get it to shift smoothly. I've built my own trans mount but will need redo it with my new suspension setup. I'm using the original Porsche 901 shifter box and have a NOS shortshift kit that I'll be installing when I get my transmission back from getting all it's upgrades. I'll get pictures of all the parts out of the car before I put them in for reference.
What upgrades are you doing? Do you have pictures of the short shift that you will use?
Old June 24th 2020, 17:28

I'm going full CMS billet parts for SidePlate, Intermediate Plate and Bearing Carrier. For the SS kit - it's a vintage NOS unit similar to this one But I am considering something like this as an additional upgrade that can be done after the fact. While I'm having my Billet bits installed I'm also tapping and installing all the points for a proper racecar transmission cooling kit plus 3 bar setup for spraying on the diff and specific gear stack locations from Patrick Motorsports. All because I'm running an STI Engine and heat is the killer for this transmission. I'm not a burnout kid so I'm not worried about the "clutch dumping from a dead stop" session more like hard-driving and track* performance.

I really like the location of you "mount tabs" I might have to steal that idea.

Last edited by jmd; June 24th 2020 at 17:36.
Old June 25th 2020, 14:57

Good morning,
I started thinking that the 901 would not hold up. Question is there anywhere I can buy a 901 trans manual? With exception to the Diff and it settings, that transmission looks simple to repair. Ha,ha,ha I have misplaced the trans frame horn bracket that the trans sit in. I have been trying to find a stronger one and not stamped steel one. I believe that the trans may sit higher on the frame horn, but since I will need to cut and mod the tunnel; it just one more thing to do. Thank you for showing the parts, I now feel that trans will be ok.
Old June 25th 2020, 16:21

Hi effvee

I'm not sure if you are talking about the gear neck here, i.e. the cover where the shift rod is connected.
If so, have a look here. Maybe it is what you are looking for or need.

https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/beetle...wellendeckel-2

With this i think, there is no need to cut the chassis.

STi powered Typ4 in the works...
R.I.P. 1302/'72
Old June 25th 2020, 19:07

Hello, the clutch adapter I'll need. Before you had to buy it all.
Old August 14th 2020, 20:27

Not sure that I understand the question, Effvee - I used a KEP adapter kit, their pressure plate and clutch setup for connecting to my STI engine.