GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 13th 2006, 09:05

Cheap Fuel Injection

I just got a bug, and decided to go fuel injection instead of getting larger carbs etc.

Throttle Body - I was having a hard time deciding between going with 4 throttle bodies all interconected and one throttle body. The place I would get 4 is from motorcycles, the newer motorcycles have 4 throttle bodied that are interconnected but seperable, so I could put 2 on each side. I decided to just go with one throttle body for simplicity and the adding of a turbo later. I am going to get the throttle body from a honda civic, or accord, or something similar, because they are super common and relatively close engine size, also they have many aftermarket large bore setups incase I want something larger later. I plan on using 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent tubing to connect the throttle body to the end castings, I will use silicone redcers in to get it to go down to the size of the end castings.

Injectors - I am going to use injectors from a ford that has the 19lb injectors, because they are easily available and seem like they would work good and they can also be easily upgraded in the future. I am not completely set on this, I might just get the injectors from a honda as well, although there is not a lot of difference between differnent injectors in the physical size. I plan on welding injector bungs into a stock set of end castings, they should support the kind of horsepower I am looking for which is around 110 after turbo.

Sensors - I plan on getting temp sensors from gm cars, because they seem to be easier to adapt to the computer system I want to use. I will however use the temp sensor that is included in the throttle body until I go turbo. I will look for a heated oxygen sensor.

Computer - I plan on using megasquirt 2, so it can control the spark as well as the fuel, it can control the advance and everything, so I could use a stock distributor and lock down the stock advance, so all can be controlled by the computer. It will be pretty sweet.

Let me know what you think, I have started to collect some of the parts already, so we will see how it goes. I would like to have it all done in the christmas break, because I will have a lot of extra time then. The goal is to have fuel injection for under $500, hopefully it works out.
Old November 13th 2006, 14:30

good luck in your project
keep us informed of your updates...
what's your engine specs btw?

Micael
Old November 13th 2006, 22:31

Thanks for the luck, I will need it. It is the little things that add up quick as far as the budget is concerned. I just got a couple of books that will help me through it, and they aren't included in the 500. My engine is stock, other than pertronix coil, ignition and wires. My main goal is to get a few more horsepower for now with great reliability and fuel economy, i'm not shooting for the stars now, but I would like to build it up more in the future, and the way I am setting it up, the same injectors should work for up to like 150 hp with a little more fuel pressure, so with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator it should work great, and all the sensors stay the same assuming I go with the wide band o2 sensor and the open body temp sensor, so they can be used with the turbo later on.