GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 10th 2006, 20:14

Emissions stuff

I am new to bugs, I actually bought mine this week, but I am looking to get rid of some of the emissions stuff that isn't doing anything. What can I get rid of without losing performance etc.? It is a 1974 bug, but it supposedly has a newer engine, still type one but newer from brazil I think. My main questions are can I get rid of the canister in the front, near the cas tank? The canister behind the right rear tire? the hoses from those? What do i need to do to remove them?
Old November 11th 2006, 14:29

Okay, I found out the answer to the question, on which emissions stuff I can get rid of. The tank in the front of the bug, near the gas can is called the expansion tank. It holds gas, when your tank is full, and it is hot outside, the gas from your fuel tank goes there because it expands a lot when it warms up, so I can't get rid of that unless I want gas everywhere, which I don't. The tank in the rear of the car in the wheelwell is the charcoal canister, it gets the fumes from the expansion chamber, does something chemically with them and sends them to the air cleaner so they can go back into the carb. Old charcoal canisters generally don't work. I am removing the charcoal canister and venting the fumes from the expansion chamber directly to the air filter. Supposedly you can't get charcoal canisters anymore, but you can refil them with charcoal if you want, I decided that it just isn't worth it and hey the car lost like 8 lbs. I don't think that the older bugs had charcoal canisters.