GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 17th 2009, 14:30
Administrator

Similar to a corvair shroud, but using the porsche fan/alt that I already have.

Wally is running a horizontal shroud by Reichert Tuning but those shrouds are very difficult to get. So I will have to improvise and see how far my 'glassing' skills get me

sandeep
Old December 19th 2009, 20:27

Shroud

I was thinking of doing the same thing! But was wondering how to go about it.Keep me posted on how I'ts going. Dave
Old December 20th 2009, 00:29

Hey Sandeep.. if you need help I'm and Ace will fiberglass... let me know

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old January 5th 2010, 23:33

http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/vie...02&id=kif_1683

Last edited by Sandeep; January 6th 2010 at 10:31. Reason: fixed URL
Old January 6th 2010, 10:33
Administrator

Thanks for the link ! The first picture is what I'm after ... I want the stealth look with everything in the engine compartment.

Who's custom shroud is in the 2nd and 3rd pics ? The fab work looks excellent.

Sandeep
Old January 6th 2010, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Thanks for the link ! The first picture is what I'm after ... .

Sandeep
Actually, I remember that engine: it was a 2366cc type 4 with about 324hp in a german 1302 convertible which was sold several years ago with a broken tranny.
Engine had elaborate oiling with external belt driven pump with a schleicher 324/106LC cam and did 240 km/h or so on the Autobahn.

Its the turbo engine where I had my first ideas from about horizontal cooling and turbocharging/intercooling
Old January 7th 2010, 03:29

Hi all,

Sorry, stuffed up the pictures and the reply hence the gallery is visible, thought i deleted it.

Yes you are right, this engine did have a 324 Schleicher cam but when the transmission died at 240 Km/h it had different engine components fitted.
I cannot remember which Web cam it was but the duration was lower since the Schleicher allowed too much of the good stuff out of the exhaust. We drove the first engine one night down a built up road and every time I shifted, flames of up to 2 metres came out of the exhaust and illuminated the houses
The first engine was driven one Summer and then taken apart, bigger valves in new heads (50x40), compresion lowered to 7.5 and web cam installed. It was a lot more user friendly and since the boost was adjustable up to 1.5 Bar, the HP was even higher (obviously) however, it was never dynoed with the new engine. Lots of stories to tell on that one
Top speed was quite a bit higher than 240 but when trying to attempt it, you almost needed 2 lanes on the Autobahn.

@ Sandeep, made both fan setups myself, the first one with the Turbo used to be my old 2.0L for which I built the horizontal fan for. My Dad made the moulds from a cut off Kerscher shroud originally and the front plate was a 5mm thick steel plate galvanised. The pulleys came from a Peugeot 304 which had the alternator fitted to the side of the engine.
When my mates car got featured in an WOB magazine, I got a mention but on the Fan setup they said it is a Riechert which pissed me off a little.
The one you see 2. and 3. in the gallery is my latest one using a 10 mm marine grade Aluminium plate, pulleys are custom made using double roller bearings and shroud is aluminium which is now TIG welded together.
Easy to do, only very time consuming, it takes a lot longer for the aluminium shrouds due to having to cut out all panels and shape them.
http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/vie...03&id=dscf8860
In order to avoid confusion I put my name on it in a similar configuration as the original manufacturer did ;-)
Cheers

Last edited by Typ Vier; January 7th 2010 at 03:34.
Old January 7th 2010, 04:55

<OBJECT WIDTH='320' HEIGHT='240'><PARAM NAME='movie' VALUE='http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/inc/share/mpa.swf?xml_source=http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/inc/share/photoxml.php%3Fset_albumName%3Dalbum03%26id%3Ddscf 8860%26index%3D1%26whatType%3Dphoto&timeout=60&lic ense=IUBZ89235ZM6YFSLRTO9DN6IKN49JK'></PARAM><PARAM NAME='wmode' value='transparent'></PARAM><EMBED src='http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/inc/share/mpa.swf?xml_source=http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/inc/share/photoxml.php%3Fset_albumName%3Dalbum03%26id%3Ddscf 8860%26index%3D1%26whatType%3Dphoto&timeout=60&lic ense=IUBZ89235ZM6YFSLRTO9DN6IKN49JK' WMODE='transparent' WIDTH='320' HEIGHT='240'></EMBED></OBJECT>

Cool story and very beautifully done horizontal cooling system!
Old January 7th 2010, 18:51

Thanks Walter
Old January 7th 2010, 22:03

What would you charge for a system like that? It looks great I was going to do a 911 cooling system, but with the uneven cooling with the shroud I have I'm not going to do it now. I love the system wally has. But yours looks great aswell, If you would sell just the shroulding I would be happy with that,Wally myself and sandeep all have turbo type4s. And are on the quest for more power, better cooling. More power is just a given. Wally already has the cooling. Myself and sandeep don't. But I should only speak for myself. I want this next engine to have 225Hp at the wheel. And I want to put an intercooler in the engine bay. It will be going into a 71 super. Dave
Old January 8th 2010, 05:49

Hi, sorry not enough time to make an sell them but feel free to contact me if you need assistance making one, its not that hard.
I've sent you a private message.

http://azickert.myphotoalbum.com/alb...umName=album03

Cheers

Last edited by Typ Vier; January 8th 2010 at 06:06.
Old January 8th 2010, 09:00
Administrator

Thanks for the great pics and engine details Andreas. I would have thought that the horizontal fan would have pulled enough air through the intercooler to not require the additional fan ?

This engine was also my inspiration when I decided to turbo my t4 : )

Sandeep
Old January 9th 2010, 04:58

You would think so in a completely sealed engine compartment but this was not the case here, all engine lid sealing strips were removed and there was a gap between the lid and the body. The intercooler did not sit directly on top of the fan as you can see and there was also an opening behind the number plate where the Porsche fan could get air in and possibly bypass the intercoler. Instead of relying on the Porsche fan alone, my mate Martin (the previous owner of the 1302 Cab) decided to fit the additional electric fan.
It may not be needed but what the hell, it made the whole installation even more complicated looking ;-)
Shame he sold the car...He started his own Tuning company (MG Racing, a few reviews from his Mk 5 GTI with 350HP are somewhere on the net) and did a lot of work for Oettinger in Friedrichsdorf. When it all got too much last July, he decided to call it quits and now works for a tuning company somewhere around lake constance. He still says he should have kept the beetle ...
Old January 9th 2010, 14:13

This is the shallower Riechert housing, which is supported front and aft. Found this pic again by coinciance ;-)

Old January 9th 2010, 16:55

Thats why Riechert made his own fan ring, no brackets needed underneath.
The factory Porsche alternator is better suited for a horizontal conversion compared to the aftermarket Ahnendorp fan. The attachment/bracket would consist of a ring with the same diameter and the six holes as the alternator has in the rear. this ring is then welded onto the 4 legs that bolt up to the engine block, nothing is in the way of airflow in this configuration.
The Ahnendorp one is using an ISKRA Golf style alternator with x4 5mm bolts and a stepped housing, therefore almost impossible to adapt the previously mentioned. thats why I welded some brackets to the rear as well as to the left and right
I have thought of this for a while now and gonna change the attachment to a front and rear support only. Should not be too hard to do, a machined piece of aluminium with the radius of the fan housing bolted up to the pulley bracket and welded onto the ring should take care of that.

Looks like the Riechert fan is a little higher than my one. Have you measured the top edge of a fan blade (lets say if it is pointing to the left) to the top of the engine block?
Cheers