GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 3rd 2010, 22:41

Any feedback on the CSP Type 4 dry sump pump or others

Have been reading some of the posts, regarding dry sump as well as the accusump to help deal with high g's and oil starvation, as related symptoms..

Came across the CSP dry sump.. was interested but was curious as to any positive or negative experiences..

I know a few of the club members run dry sumps, think its Judgie maybe Wally.. but can some one chime in.

I realize there are pumps that fit right into where the original one would go as well as others that are belt driven/2 or 3 stage setups.. any comments appreciated.

As far as what its going into.. for now I am planning what to do with a spare motor, 1.8 lt that will get a fresh rebuild, maybe a bump in displace or stroke.. but nothing to wild.. ( i have a 2.7 lt (103x82 or somthing that I need to get some $$ to finish) but while I sort the car out, I would like to play around and get the oil system situated.. and use a lower hp motor to figure out the car.

Car will my primary track car duty, but may spend the first year split between street, autox and track.. I haven't run any real autox and might be a good time and an opportunity to help sort the car..

I will run in the NE (Watkins Glen, Lime rock, NJ Motorsports, Pocono and maybe a NY and Virgina) Some are high elevation tracks and while others are very dynamic due to the tight turns..

I am not confident that oil system with just a tuna can will survive.. I have the wounds from my last double duty car, a WRX that blew its motor due to oil issues, at Watkins and don't want to repeat.. my wife may leave me with the kids, if I have to call home again and tell her that I am ok but the engine isn't.

Any info appreciated,
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old June 6th 2010, 04:05

ALex, from your intended usage as specified, you will benefit from dry sumping, no question, especially with an 82 stroke.you will also pick up some power, i recon 4/5 hp at high revs, at least over normal wet sump. my experiance is mostly T1, and Wasserboxer, but the same applies to T4.
most pumps fit in the case simply with the longer fittings supplied, its important to plug the case port to avoid back feed pressure losses, the pump ports are non existent.
i would go with the autocraft pump, as its the one with the most good feedback, quality counts with the engines heart. i have no knowledge or feed back for the CSP pump.
I use an ARPM pump, its superb quality as you would expect with Lowry's name on it, and has hundreds of hours on it and its still like new, tho i doubt you would find one for sale these days, check its drive keys and gears for wear if you find one.
the system will also help your weight distribution with a front mounted tank and the oil content.
use 5/8 pipes, possibly even 3/4 for the pump supply line from the tank.
coolers work well on this line, rather than on the pressure side, altho' many do use the pressure side for coolers.
you can run the car lower as you wont need any sump extensions, altho T4 is better in this respect, they're are band aid anyway in my view. as regards accusump, more band aid, wev'e had engine disasters with these, two seperate engine failures recently, they cannot compensate for surge and oil leaks as dry sump can, o.k you can run out of oil with dry sump, but you have huge reserve, if you need anything other than the stock system, then it HAS to be drysumping
no doubt more advice will be up soon, hope this helps..... ps i know where there are several used accusumps for sale...

Last edited by spannermanager; June 6th 2010 at 06:22.
Old June 6th 2010, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannermanager View Post
.. if you need anything other than the stock system, then it HAS to be drysumping
I couldn't agree more.
Old June 7th 2010, 04:05

be carfull with any pump designed for a t1 engine, you have to clearance them a lot to get them to fit a t4 engine. i know of at least one autocraft t1 pump that is now scrap from trying 1t get it work on a t1 engine.
out of all the mods i have done on my t4 engine its the only one i would not be without, any fast road/track car i build for myself from now on will be dry sump.
i know that a few more german companys have started making them again and will find out some details later this for you.
Cheers Rob
Old June 7th 2010, 10:12

Gents..

Thanks for the feedback.. was checking out the autocraft pump.. was going to email them to confirm.. but is the 2 stage they sell for a type I, and thus requires some modification to fit into the type IV..

or do they have a specific type IV application..

While pricey, I am starting to see that this is a need, and not a nice to have.. specially after investing so much in such motors..

Thanks, and keep the advice coming as I know that others can benefit from this topic/discussion.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old June 7th 2010, 12:22

As rob mentioned, even with T1 and w/boxer applications, you will need very low profile cam bolts, even after clearancing the pump boss for cam bolt clearance, i use red loctite and no washers,also, i've found cam makers torque specs to be marginal and found them a bit 'loose', until i went up to 18ft lb on them.
Im also paranoid about uprating oil flow to the valve gear, and hence head cooling, as we have no 'slosh' cooling via the p/r tubes like wet sump has, this needs attending to in both T1 and wasser's, so i run mods to spray the v/springs with extra oil to keep them cool. No doubt wally and rob have T4 knowledge on this, also, autocraft are very helpfull if you have any questions. cheers all..
Old June 8th 2010, 02:58

re your thoughts on valve train cooling, the prob i have been having is getting enough oil out of the rocker box. to the point i'm thinking about putting a scavange stage to the heads or some extra drains from the heads to the case.
only other prob i have ever had is when i ran to small a breather on the engine, ended up with a lot of blow by ie;blue smoke in the exhaust, bigger engine breather cured this.