GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old March 21st 2006, 13:44
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimby
I have picked trhe brain of gavin, he's a mate that is an aerodynamic engineer on the currnt F1 Renault team, yes the ones that are winning
he reckons the first thing is the flat pan, second is slice the rear of the front wings so you can see the rear of the front tyres. get the car as low and flat as you can. kill the lift on the front with louvers on the wing tops and even ducts on the bonnet, a bit like the elise.

what about front splitter and spoiler?
took my new rear wing to work today to get it painted,came off a f3 lola and is a duel element.
will start work on the flat floor and front spoiler/splitter at the weekend.have all next week of work to get ready for new season/volksworld show
cheers rob
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old March 21st 2006, 14:42
volkdent's Avatar
volkdent volkdent is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimby
I have picked trhe brain of gavin, he's a mate that is an aerodynamic engineer on the currnt F1 Renault team, yes the ones that are winning
he reckons the first thing is the flat pan, second is slice the rear of the front wings so you can see the rear of the front tyres. get the car as low and flat as you can. kill the lift on the front with louvers on the wing tops and even ducts on the bonnet, a bit like the elise.

Thanks Gavin! I'm really glad to hear that his recommendations are what I've been thinking about doing. Gives me a little bit more confidence that I'll actually get some results for my efforts.

Jason
__________________
If I could just get paid for my sleepless nights....
1960 VW Bug UBRDUB
Walkaround
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old March 22nd 2006, 15:11
jimby jimby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London England
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie
what about front splitter and spoiler?
took my new rear wing to work today to get it painted,came off a f3 lola and is a duel element.
will start work on the flat floor and front spoiler/splitter at the weekend.have all next week of work to get ready for new season/volksworld show
cheers rob
i only asked him about what we could do for the aircooled cup cars as we cant run a wing. i didnt ask him about a front splitter device. from what ive overheard its not all bad to have a bit of a bigger gap at the front of the car that tapers down as it goes under as the effect is that the air is squeezed and forced under the car as a faster rate than the air moving over the top of the car, and as faster air has alower pressure it sucks the car down. trying to keep all the air from geting under the front of a car will not create a vacuum but will create turbulent air at a higher pressure than the top of the car and would cause lift (hence the flat pan so you dont get turbulent air gathering under the fuel tank, above the geabox, around the engine and under the wings/running boards. i can find out if he's going to the volksworld show and if your car is there ill get him to cast an eye over it.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old March 22nd 2006, 16:42
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
cheers
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old March 22nd 2006, 17:55
beetle1303 beetle1303 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 303
Judge, are you going to the volksworld show? I am going for sure. It would be nice to gather up and meet each other. I will post this at the "off topic" as well...

Chris
__________________
Aircooled 4ever

1973 1303 going towards GL
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old March 22nd 2006, 18:06
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1303
Judge, are you going to the volksworld show? I am going for sure. It would be nice to gather up and meet each other. I will post this at the "off topic" as well...

Chris
yes i will be at the show all weekend and so will the race car,inside on display got all next week of to get it ready.
shall we say 1 o'clock saturday at my car? any body else up for it?
cheers rob
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old March 22nd 2006, 18:52
Racelook's Avatar
Racelook Racelook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Leende, Netherlands
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimby
trying to keep all the air from geting under the front of a car will not create a vacuum but will create turbulent air at a higher pressure than the top of the car and would cause lift
This is, I think, not correct because an earlier formule 1 team had mounted flaps under there cars for (out my head) 1 year and they were much quicker only because of that. And because of the air that speeds up over the top of the car and got down at the back.. sucked the underside of the car vacuum.
At the end of that year it was immideately forbitten.

Wiebrand (p.s. flattening and flaps are also things I want to do in the future to the underside of my car)
__________________
B-Extreme B-Tuning.....
Racebug is comming to get ya!!!
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old March 23rd 2006, 02:29
volkdent's Avatar
volkdent volkdent is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Posts: 1,684
I think this thing is over the top, but I like the front dam idea quite a bit. I'm going to be doing something similar with mine, but more subtle.

__________________
If I could just get paid for my sleepless nights....
1960 VW Bug UBRDUB
Walkaround
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old March 23rd 2006, 10:25
beetle1303 beetle1303 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 303
You bet im going to be there...

That just made my day.
__________________
Aircooled 4ever

1973 1303 going towards GL
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old March 23rd 2006, 10:34
beetle1303 beetle1303 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 303
You bet im going to be there...

That just made my day.
__________________
Aircooled 4ever

1973 1303 going towards GL
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old March 23rd 2006, 13:32
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
I think this thing is over the top, but I like the front dam idea quite a bit. I'm going to be doing something similar with mine, but more subtle.

very close to what is going on my car next week.
what you have to remember is for a race car "looks" come second place to function.
cheers rob
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old March 23rd 2006, 17:28
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie
what you have to remember is for a race car "looks" come second place to function.
cheers rob
For a true street German-style car as well, mind you
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old March 23rd 2006, 18:59
zeroaxe zeroaxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Linthelles, France
Posts: 260
Erm, help me out here(I'm with stupid!)..., but why/waht are those little amber lights on all the Bugs?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old March 24th 2006, 11:08
jonas_linder jonas_linder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mellerud,Sweden
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroaxe
Erm, help me out here(I'm with stupid!)..., but why/waht are those little amber lights on all the Bugs?

Cheers!

I would guess turnsignals
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old March 27th 2006, 14:55
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
this is what i fitted today
cheers rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_00089.jpg (41.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_00090.jpg (36.0 KB, 168 views)
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© www.GermanLook.net 2002-2017. All Rights Reserved